Share how you can explain to parents the difference between music for development and music for skill building.

Home Forums Sprouting Melodies Training – July 2014 Week 8 Share how you can explain to parents the difference between music for development and music for skill building.

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author

Meredith Pizzi

Keymaster

Kerry Cornelius

Participant

I think it is important to explain to parents the difference between music for development and music for skill building, though sometimes I think the two overlap and can be difficult to differentiate. To me, music for development really supports the developmental levels discussed in this course (awareness, trust, independence, control, etc) and allows amply opportunities for each child to explore and respond to music in a variety of ways (and in a way that is appropriate for that child at that time). Music for skill building builds on this concept, but focuses on developing specific skills in these developmental areas, such as language, literacy, communication, movement, and social-emotional interactions. These music experiences might focus on specific academic concepts (counting, colors), motor skills (crossing midline, grasping a mallet and playing a drum) or social interactions (“My Brand New Friend”). Both music for development and skill building are tailored by the therapist to match each child’s needs as they move from one developmental level to another and provides a wide range of sensory and exploratory experiences that promote learning and healthy child development.

Katie Bagley

Participant

I believe the key to differentiating music for development and skill building lies in continually pointing out developmental stages throughout week to week sessions. Before beginning this training, I was not entirely aware of the major stages of early childhood development/ musical development. By educating parents on an ongoing basis within sessions and interventions, they will be more likely to understand the difference in music for development versus skill. Both are important, and feed off of each other. When using music for skill building, we target specific actions or subjects (clapping, swimming, riding a bike, wearing a seatbelt, jumping, tying shoes) with direct songs. All of these add up and contribute to the larger picture, of music for development. The specific skill songs aid in achievement of developmental milestones, including crossing midline, socialization, language, counting, and more.

MUSIC FOR DEVELOPMENT
      Music for development promotes, supports, and facilitates all facets of early childhood development including physical, cognitive, emotional, social, and sensory growth, as the child moves through awareness, trust, independence, control, and responsibility. For example, song categories within the Sprouting Melodies curriculum include gathering or greeting songs, bonding songs, songs about me, instrument songs, movement songs, and goodbye songs. The goals of these songs are to engage the child in activities that help them develop non-music skills within a musical environment (e.g., muscle development through walking, running, jumping, tossing a ball in time to music; sensory skills through color and texture recognition of objects used in the music activity; social skills such as sharing).

MUSIC FOR SKILL BUILDING
      To me, music for skill building helps the child develop musical skills (e.g., pitch, rhythm, tempo, melody, dynamics) as well as music-related skills (e.g., prosody, cadence, articulation in language). The music is more than just a vehicle for learning and development in that the child is encouraged to respond musically.

Katherine Sestrick

Participant

I would explain that the goals for music for development and music for skill building are very different. In classes which focus on music for skill building, the goal is for the child to develop specific music skills (I.e. Pitch matching and steady beat keeping). In SM classes, the goal is for music to aid in the development of the whole child; we are addressing communication skills, social emotional interaction, motor skills, and cognitive skills and through these musical activities, children are inherently developing their music skills as well.

Christina Wensveen

Participant

I would indicate to parents that sprouting melodies is about providing opportunities that foster their child’s development at their own pace. The goal is not to have them shaking up high on cue but to be engaged in the music making process and to learn at their own pace. Also that the activities presented are tailored to specific developmental stages and are created in a way that brings out those skills naturally. I believe music for skill building would take a more focused approach- so songs geared towards a specific task. Ie: Singing ABC’s to learn the alphabet.
      I would explain to parents that each type of music has it’s purpose. That Sprouting melodies is more of development music program, where children can explore and develop at their own pace with the music opportunities. There could be more of a focus on music for skill building in music therapy sessions/ music education, as goals and progress is measured.

Kathryn Costanza

Participant

My personal opinion is that the difference between music for development and music for skills building is the difference between the exploration of a passive sensory experience and active participation. Explaining that to parents can be tricky (especially when we may be saying things like “Your baby is really engaged in active listening right now!”), but I feel like it’s a logical distinction, even if there is overlap. It comes down to what you are trying to achieve in that moment with that individual child. Embedded songs with academic information = skill building. Rhythmic Entrainment = development. Timbre differentiation = development. The movement of clapping to the music (Not the rhythmic entrainment) = skill building. The activities and songs used can address both, but never at the same time. As in Neurologic Music Therapy, it really comes down to what we are asking the child to do in that moment and what responses we are looking for.

Katie Romano

Participant

Musical Development is using music to support the developmental stages. Music can support all different aspects of development, cognitive, emotional, social, physical and sensory. Music is a supportive agent for change and growth. Music for Skill Building is also an agent change and growth. In this sense music assists with skills such as turn taking, sharing, patience, pitch, rhythm, articulation, melody, etc.

Nicole Sanabria

Participant

I would explain to parents that music for development is looking at the child from the inside out. Depending on where the child is developmentally (awareness, trust, independence, control etc) we are using music to provide opportunities to enhance communication skills, cognitive skills, socio-emotional health, sensory and physical needs. Music for skill building focuses on the child’s instrinsic musicality that develops similary to that of their developmental stage. Both coexist I feel. One can’t be without the other. However, the child is understanding what they are capable of achieving musically be it through rhythm, melody, phrasing, dynamics, and tempo (movement experiences, instrumental play, singing, etc) where turn taking may be a task at hand, sharing, stop & go, academically focused etc. Such achievements support sense of self and a level of independence.

Jonni Fogerty

Participant

Music for development facilitates the achievement of developmental milestones. Music for skill building focuses on building competence in specific musical concepts.

Kasey Sollenberger

Participant

In my understanding, Music for skill building is a more concrete concept to explain. Skill building covers all of those definitive cognitive and academic goals in a very deliberate way. Music for development enhances the less obvious areas such as coordination in a more natural or intrinsic process.

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to content