Share how you can explain to parents the difference between music for development and music for skill building.

Home Forums Sprouting Melodies Training – September 2014 Week 8 Share how you can explain to parents the difference between music for development and music for skill building.

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author

Meredith Pizzi

Keymaster

Laura Myers

Participant

Tricky, tricky… I look forward to reading the other responses to this question. I guess I would explain that music for development would focus on the developmental milestones that we would like to see at each stage, in each of the catagories of Physical, Sensory, Motor, Cognitive, emotional/ social, and language. For example we can use instrument holding for grasping, or bonding songs to focus on visual tracking, etc…
      As for skill building, I would explain to the parent that during the SM group we are also working on skills such as listening, turn taking, Sharing, and book handling (Side note: i loved that explanation during the video. Working with older adults, its not something I would even begin to think about!)

Ian Crawford

Participant

I would probably first explain the developmental levels and how music therapy can target skills and utilize interventions that are appropriate for each level. I might give examples of music responses and possible goals/objectives for a few of the levels. I would then explain that while we are always aware of which developmental level the child is in, we can use music to target individual skills, which in turn can lead the way to healthy development.

Kristina Rio

Participant

Ian just a side note with Sprouting Melodies we are using our unique background which does include music therapy and goal/objectives, but we are not doing clinical music therapy. Instead of goals and objectives, we can explain the purpose of what we are doing and possible responses and outcomes through the music. You can certainly explain your training and background to establish credibility, but just remember it can be tricky distinguishing between music for the purpose of clinical progress, and music for support of healthy development. Does that make sense?

Shonda Malik

Participant

I would share with the parents that music for development has to do with the brain processing the music and making new connections. Those new connections have to do with language, cognition, social-emotional aspects, and motor movements. Music for skill building is the embedded learning skills such as counting, colors,how to hold and play instruments, book handling, etc.

Lysa Wright

Participant

To me, thinking of development, I think of music being used to address developmental milestones: gross motor movements, development of speech, social-emotional skills, and other child developments a child may experience when growing within his/her self. Thinking of skill building, I agree with Shonda that it is using music to develop skills to be related to other aspects of life, like handling books (I too loved this incorporation!), appropriately interacting with peers, taking turns, as well as specific academic skills.

BJ Waelz

Participant

Music for development supports the developmental growth and milestones in gross motor, fine motor, communication and cognitive areas. Music for skill building is building life and educational skills such as colors, numbers, shapes, pictures etc. as well as social interaction type skills, and musical skills.

Anonymous

Inactive

I think it is important when we speak to parents that we also use terms that they will understand. Many times technical terms like gross and fine motor skills, cognitive skills, and etc. can be confusing if the parent has not had any exposure to them. It can be helpful to give them examples of what these skills might look like. BJ had used some good examples for educational skills where he stated colors, numbers, shapes, and pictures.

Ericha Rupp

Participant

Sorry this didn’t get posted the first time friends. Glad I writing everything out on my power point slides. 🙂
      Using parent friendly language, I would start off by mentioning how music can assist a child with their developmental levels by holding an instrument, making a vocal sound, etc. Then I would also mention that music is a beautiful tool to assist an individual with skills building. Such as joint attention, taking turns, waiting, etc.

Adrienne Salmon

Participant

I would say to parents that music for development is looking at where the child is developmentally, and that we are using music to provide opportunities to enhance communication skills, cognitive skills, socio-emotional health, sensory and physical needs. Music for skill building, I would say, is then looking at where the child is developmentally, and how we can use music to develop skills (gripping, crossing the midline, gait control) based on their developmental needs. Furthermore, music for skill building can deal with other skills such as counting, turn-taking, colors, etc.

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to content