Share how you can explain to parents the difference between music for development and music for skill building.

Home Forums Sprouting Melodies Training – January 2015 Week 8 Share how you can explain to parents the difference between music for development and music for skill building.

Viewing 16 reply threads
  • Author

Meredith Pizzi

Keymaster

Jessica Bogacik

Participant

I think that music for development would be music and experiences that simply support the natural progression of a child from one step to the next (Like, I Like This Song, which can be accompanied by the child on whatever instrument they choose, and whatever instrument is most appropriate for them developmentally). Perhaps songs that help with skill building would actually contain information or teach a skill that the child can practice (Like, You Play a Little, which teaches the child about taking turns and interacting).

Leigh Ann Walberg

Participant

We will be working on ways to help them grow developmentally, we will not be working on music skills specifically.

Linda Madler

Participant

Music for development is supportive, broader, allows for a range of responses. Music for skill building is more structured and targets a particular area. In the song “Where is the Music?” parents pull back and the children share the music in them. In “My Brand New Friend” therapist and parents help model the steps in introducing and interacting with others.

Mikhala Majeau

Participant

Music for development supports the whole child. Music for development does not target one specific skill level, but engages the child’s brain and body in a way that promotes healthy development. Music for skill building is targeted to one specific skill, such as a pincer grasp for holding a mallet. Music for skill building can, however aid in development, just as music for development can produce an increase in skills.

Amanda Goff

Participant

The musical activities we provide for Sprouting Melodies and Family Sprouts are constructed to help your child grow socially, mentally, verbally and physically. These factors are what separate us from a music lesson. Our programs are more than being introduced to music, your child will learn about themselves, you will learn about your child and your child will develop relationships with their peers.

Natalie Condon

Participant

I agree completely with Mikhala. I am basically just echoing her point but, music for development is music that supports the over-all growth and support of the child, while music that is skill based is specific with a singular focused goal. They can go hand-in-hand and support each other. I believable we as music therapists, at one point or another, work using both developmental and skill-building based music approaches.

Melissa Hentges

Participant

I agree that these are two sides of the same coin. Using motor skils as an example – we may use a song that works specifically on the skill of crossing the midline but overall is encouraging development of motor skills. Or we might choose a song that encourages movement to music (gross motor skills) but does not focus on one particular skill. We can use a combination of music for development and music for skill building to help children develop overall but also to learn the skills they need within those developmental areas.

Michelle Nettle

Participant

Based on the Boards responses so far, it seems that this question is being interpreted in different ways. I may be wrong, but I think that the point of the question was to be able to explain the difference to a parent between using music to promote child development vs. teaching a child musical skills such as how to sing, how to play various instruments, ext.

So with this interpretation, I would tell the parents that “Sprouting Melodies is unique in its goal to utilize developmentally appropriate music to promote the development of a child, the development of positive relationships between child and caregiver, and the development of positive social interactions with their peers.” “While programs that are music-skilled based are using music to teach particular musical abilities such how to sing, pitch recognition, and how to play various instruments”

Anonymous

Inactive

Although it is important to see how we as music therapists use music for both skill building and development, this question was looking at how we can explain the difference to parents. In Sprouting Melodies we are focused on providing music that supports development and this makes us unique from other kinds of music programs. As many of you pointed out, in music therapy we may be working on skill building, development, or both depending on the individual and their needs. It is important for the families and caregivers to understand the difference between these two and when and why they are used.

Robyn Rutland-Coleman

Participant

My understanding of this topic and what we are being asked to discuss is the same as Michelle’s; namely, are we supporting the child’s overall development in its various domains, or are we imparting music skills? These are both valid pursuits, but Sprouting Melodies is not about developing those music skills in and of themselves, but rather how music can support the child’s overall development. However, as facilitators and parents, we can be aware of how our children are moving through the predictable stages of musical development as a means of understanding them as a whole person, and perhaps as a means of identifying possible (non-musical) developmental concerns.

Steven Clarke

Participant

When explaining the difference between music for development and music for skill building I would first differentiate the two. I would explain that both music for development and music for skill building happens in a progression and sequence but music for development addresses the developmental levels of awareness, trust, independence, control and responsibility. I would then elaborate that music for skill building addresses specific skills such as turn taking, sharing, self-expression and creativity. I would also explain why the two work together and simultaneously in music environments.

Jamie Sacca

Participant

I think the main difference is in the focus of the music therapy session and clinical music therapy versus a music therapy informed practice in a class setting like this. Music for development focuses on overall well-being and a natural progression of skills, at the child’s own pace. Music therapy for skill building focuses on specific skill sets that a child is working on, and is approached from a client-centered view, and all interventions are geared toward those particular skills.

Lauren Servos

Participant

I believe that all children are inherently musical, and can begin to learn basic musical concepts just by being in a musical environment in which they are free to express and explore. Although the focus of Sprouting Melodies classes is on supporting development through musical interaction, I think it’s ok to tell parents that the children will learn basic musical concepts in these classes too, especially if that’s what a parent is interested in. Children in Sprouting Melodies classes will hear and experience many different types of music, and through the music experiences they will improve their social, motor, and communication skills, while also learning how to appropriately express ideas and emotions.

Kayla Hamilton

Participant

Music for development encourages and supports speech/language, cognitive, physical, emotional, and social development. The songs are intentionally chosen to support development and encourage development. The music choices are supported by research and by our expertise of development. Music for development focuses on the whole person. Music for skill building is to teach musical skill and harvest innate musical ability.

Kathy Odenkirk

Participant

I wasn’t sure how to answer this question and after reading other responses I still am not sure if I am on the right track. I think that music for development is to utilize music as a tool to help support a child’s development whereas music for skill building focuses more on learning specific skills (music therapy goals?) within the developmental areas of communication, academic, motor, emotional, and social skills.

Amanda Barnett

Participant

Music for development is beneficial to the child in regards to their specific developmental level or needs (fine motor, speech, gross motor, cognitive, etc) while music for skill building focuses more on the creation of music itself.

Viewing 16 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to content