Share how you can explain to parents the difference between music for development and music for skill building.

Home Forums Sprouting Melodies Training – June 2015 Week 8 Share how you can explain to parents the difference between music for development and music for skill building.

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • Author

Meredith Pizzi

Keymaster

Emily Baroody

Participant

I think the biggest difference between music for development and music for skill building is that music for development is a holistic approach and I think that’s how I would explain that to parents. The aim of the sprouting melodies music groups is to support family relationships that help nurture families and provide tools to support child development. The best thing that we can offer in our groups is bonding opportunities between parent and child and help support parents as they take an active role in their child’s development. Yes we are providing a music stimulus, yes we are providing developmentally appropriate music specifically targeted toward developmental goals, but really we are just the facilitators, and it is the bond between parent and child that supports the child not the music therapist singing the songs once a week or the chance to play and hold instruments. And further more we are creating community as parents all come together with similar goals. We are providing social moments to help support families and music for skill building is not aimed for those kinds of personal connections we are hoping to foster.

Kristina Rio

Participant

Well said Emily! This is a tough question and take a lot of reflection.

Mary Jane Dibble

Participant

I agree with what Emily said. Music for development can use music interventions to trigger development and can help facilitate, support, and provide opportunities for development. Music for skill building is teaching a specific skill and helping them learn and practice that skill.

Cynthia Cross

Participant

I think music for development includes using music that matches and supports a certain level of development. For example for little ones approaching independence music for development might create an atmosphere in which they can comfortably explore separation from their caregiver. Music for skill building speaks more to a targeted intervention to me. For example utilizing an active rhythm to encourage jumping or using a counting song to teach numbers an sequence.

Anonymous

Inactive

Wonderful answers everyone!

Corie Barkey

Participant

Emily, Great explanation that was very well said.

I agree with all of you. Music that is provided for development creates and supports the natural progression of growth a child is experiencing. The music therapist can facilitate these opportunities so that the parents can take an active role in the development and the growth of their child. Music for skill building is more focused and intensive. A music therapist is likely creating music interventions to target specific skills and develop and independent level for that goal.

Laura Silvestain

Participant

Again, I agree with every previous explanation. I believe that music for development focuses more on the process, while music for skill building focuses on the product. Development itself is a process, which is why interventions aimed at development should be appropriate for children in different stages of development and allow room for growth within that intervention. There is an end point to learning a skill, so the interventions are more like steps toward the end goal of accomplishing a certain skill.

Molly Moses

Participant

I once heard an instructor of an orff class say “music teachers teach music; music therapists use music to teach something else”. I think this is really fitting to describe the difference between music for development and music for skill building. Yes, of course the child will experience music learning with us, but our purpose is use music to promote parent/child bonding, increase social skills, etc., and not specifically teach music skills.

Mary Kerrigan

Participant

Emily that really is a GREAT answer! I completely agree. I believe that music for development is more of a facilitator to encourage that natural growth for child. It is structured, but still open for all kinds of development, while music for skill building is more of a targeted intervention working on an area that may need more concentrated work to further develop if not already developed at the appropriate stage. Sprouting Melodies provides appropriate developmental music in order to encourage and enhance the development that is already naturally occurring for the child rather than working on skills that do not already exist or aren’t happening yet.

Brianna McCulloch

Participant

I agree with those who have said that music for development is to facilitate the natural course of development, as opposed to the skill-specific goals of music education. However, as a music therapist and music instructor (piano) (as I am sure many of you are), I find I have a unique approach to music ed because of my attention to developmental level. I work in a music conservatory, and I am often asked to sit in for a few minutes on different teacher’s music lessons because they are having a hard time teaching a specific musical skill to a child, and want my input. One example is eye tracking and eye-hand coordination. I sat in on a lesson where a teacher had the child name the notes he was about to play, point those notes out on the keyboard, but when the child tried to put it all together it fell apart. I suggested the teacher follow the notes in time with her pencil, supporting the child’s eye tracking, as he had clearly not developed that skill yet, and the child was instantly successful. So attending to development when working toward specific musical skill building is just as important in my opinion. Music experiences geared toward simply supporting and enhancing natural development should provide opportunities for the child to explore all aspects of their current developmental level, and gently give them opportunities to move into the next developmental level.

Mary Carter

Participant

I’m a little late to this discussion, was on vacation. Laura said pretty much word for word what I was going to say! I think when explaining things to parents it’s good to use a direct approach with few words without having to go into all of what we do as music therapists. They are busy and overwhelmed with info so I’d probably just stick to, “Music for development focuses on the process where music for skill building focuses on the product.”

Anonymous

Inactive

Mary I think you point out an important consideration when talking to parents.

Melaine Pohlman

Participant

I really like Mary’s simple answer to parents! Sometimes we can all get caught up in too many words! I think an answer like this reminds parents that in this environment we’re not focusing on “therapy” and a targeted skill or result. Instead, through developmentally appropriate music such as Sprouting Melodies, we’re able to nurture, develop, enhance and reinforce the typical development that is already taking place in a natural setting.

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to content