Share some of your experiences with children of this age and level.

Home Forums Sprouting Melodies – June 2021 Week 6 Share some of your experiences with children of this age and level.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author

Anonymous

Inactive

Share some of your experiences with children of this age and level.

Be sure to come back and respond to others as well.

Most of my experience with children in the awareness level is personal. I have two babies that have not developed in what is considered to be a “typical” maner. I was able to breast feed my babies through this developmental period. We rocked, sang to, and carried our babies on our bodies to increase the bonding experience. My oldest was three months old when his grandparents watched him. My youngest did not leave my side as I stayed home to be with both of them and help them through their developmental challenges. Music and movement were key to bridging communication gaps, behaviors, and to calm and soothe them.

I also worked with this age group in a home schooling preschool group that I was a part of with my boys. I provided one to two music groups a month for this group as we all took turns providing lessons for our children. It was often very difficult to meet the needs of all the children musically as the group was birth to 5. I realized then that I wanted to pursue additional training to meet the needs I was seeing in this group.

Overall, I have observed that music needs to be a little quieter, sessions a little slower, and repetition is key for both children and their care givers. Everyone who has littles of this age needs more grace and understanding. I don’t think I ever left the house when I planned to when my boys were this age. I saw many moms who were frazzled and just needed someone to say “It’s O.K. We are glad you are here.” You don’t realize how important sleeping and showering are until you haven’t for days because your baby is colicky or teething.

Maria Ramey

Participant

I love that you point out parents of this age/development needing grace and understanding. Life is a whirlwind, having to learn so much new stuff at an insanely fast rate, and any extra difficulties can really throw a wrench into any semblance of routine or comfort you might have almost settled into!

Samantha Springer

Participant

I actually have limited experience with children at this developmental stage and age level. I worked at my church in the nursery for a short amount of time, but I was a supervisor so I didn’t get to interact 1:1 with the children as much as the volunteers. Although I didn’t work with the children directly, I had the opportunity to work with the families and the parents more often. As Debbie mentioned above, I learned that parents of little ones definitely need to be shown more understanding, love, and acceptance. Some days are harder than others and parents deserve to be shown that grace and be part of a nonjudgemental space.

During my internship, I lead a class, “Listen and Learn,” but none of the children I had in the class at that time were 0-6 months. However, I have lots of experience working with 1 year-5 year olds as many of the children in those classes were between those ages.

Maria Ramey

Participant

I haven’t yet provided music therapy in a professional capacity for this age group, so my main experience is personal – with my own 4 kids. I was a very young mom for my first one (19) and would have appreciated the community connection a music group would have provided, especially when I wondered what was “normal” or “not normal.” Having had 3 younger brothers helped at least. I definitely recall music being an amazing soother, motivator, engager, and connector for every single one of them. Lullabies I’d randomly make up for each baby soothed them, they’d be so excited for specific music that was familiar to them, learning songs were amazing, and even as infants they became accustomed to being babysat by someone near rehearsals and concerts we’d have and we’d feel that connection knowing our children were close (in a green room, sometimes in the audience) and listening to the music we were making.

I especially recall my daughter at about 6 months old, sitting, excitedly dancing/bouncing to the “Beetlejuice” theme song. She’d start crying the instant it ended (began scrunching her face AS it ended), and instantaneously happy again when we’d restart it. This was a daily event. Danny Elfman has been one of her favorite film composers ever since, and now she’s in her 4th year at Berklee College of Music studying to be a film score composer. LOL

Erika Svolos

I enjoyed reading each of your responses and learning about your backgrounds and experiences. These experiences will be helpful as you support families coming into your groups.

Mikelia Wallace

Participant

I do not have experience with children of this age chronologically, however I work with one child who is chronologically twelve, but is at the developmental level of an infant. For the longest time, I didn’t know how to session plan or what goals to set being that this is a level I was not trained in. A big goal for her is just engagement, I am currently working with her virtually. Her previous MT was mostly singing nursey rhymes to her and asking mom to provide hand-over-hand for playing and movement activities. Using some of the songs and interventions learned in this training, I’ve been working with her to locate sounds and encourage bonding and engagement with her mom. I’ve noticed I’ve been able to increase her eye contact and engagement by around 50% recently, and LOTS of vocalization that was not present when I started to work with her. The youngest child I was worked with previously was maybe 3 years old in a preschool/daycare setting during practicum.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to content