Share Some Strategies

Home Forums Sprouting Melodies – January 2022 Week 9 Share Some Strategies

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author

Anonymous

Inactive

Share some strategies you have used to assure each child in your group is successful.

Amy Brownell

Participant

I try to give children a way to engage with the music at all times and I engage with them each as individuals throughout the sessions, whether it is through using their names, giving praise, making eye contact or silly faces, etc. Each child is given a way to engage with the music that is developmentally appropriate for them. Even when taking turns, I give the children who are waiting the job of holding their instruments very still so they do not make a sound while others are playing. I also turn ‘behaviors’ into a game to redirect behaviors that are non harmful. For example, if two or more children start to hold their instruments on their heads and disengage from the group, I have everyone hold their instruments on their heads, then their knees, then their toes, etc. until the last direction is the one that I want them to follow. When I want children to hold instruments quietly or stand still to listen to directions, but some are still playing or moving, I have them all play loudly or move quickly and then freeze as part of a game. It is important to keep it fun, and they will often begin to engage without realizing it.

Jessica Gelineau

Participant

Hi Amy, I love the idea of giving children a “job” while they are waiting to take their turn! Such an easy and effective way to engage all of the children while secretly working on the important goal of impulse control.

Anne Reed

Participant

I try to acknowledged those who are participating in an appropriate manner prior to pointing out those children who are not.
      Also, I try to provide the child an acceptable alternative to the behavior such as instead of throwing and instrument when they are finished put it in a box. I like Meredith’s example of signing “All done” in the video since behaviors do communicate- we have to tune in and try to interpret the intent behind the behavior and then provide the alternative.
      I may also include a “comfort zone” a place where a child can go if they are overstimulated. Encourage the parents to bring the children’s’ comfort objects whether it is a blanket or stuffed animal. The child and parent can retreat to the “zone” if things get a little overwhelming. In my examples I mentioned the “Iso” principle, also alternating fast and slow music selections and/or passive and active experiences to promote regulation.

Amy Brownell

Participant

It’s definitely important to acknowledge those children who are following the direction – sometimes that gets the attention of the others!

Erika Svolos

Thank you you for all of your insights.

Hannah Floyd

Participant

Some of my first thoughts was singing “all done” to communicate with clients. Along with that, how to make sure all ages in a group feel included and engaged. Along with this but how the parent’s can be your greatest supports by knowing their child’s comforts.

Aliza Llovet

Participant

Having a sound background in development can help a music therapist quickly assess where each child’s skills are and can provide opportunities that are individualized to each one in order for them to be successful where they are at. Provide instructions in a total communication manner with visuals, sign, and verbal direction to encourage all forms of learners to engage. You can also encourage family to bring familiar or comforting items from home to assist the child in transitioning to a less familiar environment.

Amy Brownell

Participant

Sometimes the transition can make a huge difference in behaviors! You make a good point with allowing parents to do what they need to to help with that transition.

Emily Fabian

Participant

Having the knowledge of knowing where each child’s skill level is developmentally. Allowing the parents to help support you when children have disengaged or are under/overstimulated. Engaging with each individual child throughout whether that be by name, eye contact, turn taking, etc. Lastly, praising those engaging and allowing time to redirect others while not stopping the activity. Most important, make it fun!

Jessica Gelineau

Participant

Some strategies I have used and will continue to utilize are: ensuring a child’s physical needs are met, checking in with parents about sensory needs and emphasizing small victories. I always check in with each parent before music time to ask how each child is feeling that day. If a parent says their child is still tired from being sick or is cranky that day, I make sure to take this into consideration. If a child is craving more sensory input, I may offer a pillow or sensory toy that vibrates, or offer a fidget toy to play with during the music group. I also make sure to emphasize small victories and wins throughout the group. Example: Bobby did a wonderful job maintaining eye contact during our instrument song! That was so wonderful to see that prolonged sustained attention.

Amy Brownell

Participant

It’s definitely helpful to check in with the parents at the beginning of sessions to see how the child is doing that day so you can plan accordingly – a change in the music and activity to meet their needs can make all the difference with their engagement!

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to content