Share Some Strategies

Home Forums Sprouting Melodies – January 2023 Week 9 Share Some Strategies

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author

Julie Palmieri

Participant

Share some strategies you have used to assure every child in your groups is successful.

Sean FitzGerald

Participant

In my past experience, I have always tried to focus on setting up the group allow for the path of least resistance. To do this I make sure that the space isn’t cluttered with stuff, I learn the group and figure out who does best sitting next to who, and what instruments clients will interact with well (i.e. Johnny will throw egg shakers but not maracas). This allows for me to find a baseline that works well for the group that we can always go back to if need be but then we can push the boundaries towards our goals with a bit more safety! Another strategy that I use was outlined in this week’s video, and that is communication. I find that it is best practice to be in constant communication with the staff and parents/guardians of the clients to make sure that you are on the same page with how sessions are going and what tweaks may need to be made to allow for getting the most out of sessions.

Kayla Stubblefield

Participant

The path of least resistance is great! Modifying the environment is something that is totally in our control to help support kids.

Jorden Liteplo

Participant

When a child is distracted or counterproductive, evaluate whether your activity/ies are over or under stimulating for the child. First try to redirect, using a calm and firm voice with minimal language. Failing that you can use a gentle physical prompt such as a hand on the knee or back to redirect a child to join to group. Get down on their level so you are talking to them not at them. Stay calm and relaxed so parents know you are not intimated by the behavior and everyone feels safe and supported. Failing this meet with the parents to check whether this is happening in other environments and make a plan to put some strategies in place to help them as well as their child. Logistically you can make sure to be seated nearby to make prompting/redirecting easier and more seamless while leading group. Let parents know a bit of pushback or distraction is normal and developmentally appropriate.

Kayla Stubblefield

Participant

getting down on their level is a great strategy.

Leah Strand

Participant

I also like the getting on their level and talking to them in a direct way. I can see this working for children who may have too much stimulation going on. Getting on their level and simplifying where to direct their attention may be good.

Angie Snell

Participant

Yes, yes, Jorden, meet the client where they are at and rely upon the music.

Erika (TeamRH)

Keymaster

This question always elicits great insights and I find that participants also have some great takeaways to bring back to their clinical work. If you have not already done so, saving your responses and others that have been helpful are useful when you go back to review this courses materials, in the future.

Kayla Stubblefield

Participant

Strategies that I use to ensure that every child is successful includes but is not limited to modifying the environment and learning different ways to communicate. Modifying the environment may look like dimming harsh lights, moving things that are in the way (like a piano bench) or cracking a window to have fresh air in the room. Event though some of those things may seem small to some, it can make the world of difference to someone else in aiding in focus and attention. In my internship, we had to learn to use AAC devices with the help of a speech therapist. I also was able to pick up basic sign language. Knowing alternative ways to communicate promotes inclusivity and diversity.

Leah Strand

Participant

I think my first strategy before the class even starts is to set up the room for the best possible outcome. In a perfect world where just the room set up would keep everyone engaged and focused on the music, I think its valuable to recognize the impact of preparing before the children get there. I think during the sessions I feel my first response is to redirect in any way I can. I’ll either do that through the music or if I need to do that in spoken form depending on the level of attention needed. It really will depend with each child or group what will be the most appropriate response to get back on track. I think making sure before hand that the agents are aware tht they can do what they need to for their child throughout the class, but that this is also a space to grow and tackle the “hard to handle” moments and that I am trained to recognize and react at varying levels for support.

Angie Snell

Participant

The most important strategy is to meet the client where they are at and remember that their response is their response (not good, not bad, but authentic to them). Briefly, my strategy is to focus upon creating positive associations with music engagement, trust and safety. The developmental framework that E. Schwartz has allows us to focus on the music and adapting it to meet multiple emotional and physical strengths and needs.

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to content