Share Some Strategies

Home Forums Sprouting Melodies – June 2022 Week 9 Share Some Strategies

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author

Anonymous

Inactive

Share some strategies you have used to assure every child in your groups is successful.

Holly Jurca

Participant

The first thing I always do is survey each child within the experience, observe each one very quickly within a musical experience, and act accordingly. If I see a child that might be less engaged, I may individually engage them. I might decide to do peer-to-peer interventions in order to have a peer engage them. Another way that Meredith and Elizabeth mention is to simply name the behavior that I see (narrate behavior), usually related to the way they ARE engaging or interacting with the music. Knowing what is expected from each age/developmental level is extremely important. We need to create opportunities for success. Let the music itself engage, for example with gathering songs.

One needs to be aware of also paying attention to the whole group. Contrary to what I said before, it’s also important to make sure to acknowledge the choice of not engaging, though communicate space to do so. The next plan of action would be to simply turn the attention to the rest of the group and leave for space. If this is a regular occurrence, talking to the parents would be best.

Meghan Hanley

Participant

I 100% agree with the idea of creating opportunities for success! We definitely want to create rewarding experiences for children to try new things and engage in any way.

Elizabeth Bentz

Participant

I absolutely agree that the choice to not engage is important to acknowledge. Like Meredith and Elizabeth said, we should try to make the music so much fun that the child WANTS to engage, but they also can choose not to.

Meghan Hanley

Participant

I use interesting visuals and instruments to encourage participation and engagement. For example, I might use plastic buttons which make different sounds like horn honking and incorporate them into songs, like the Wheels on the Bus. I also use a visual schedule for the older children groups so they can see and get excited about what they might do together. I try to find a balance between a repeatable, predictable schedule and individual choice to allow each child opportunities to show autonomy.

Elizabeth Bentz

Participant

I make sure to do an intake that includes any pertinent information, like any behavioral concerns, any health concerns that are applicable to the class (such as does the child have allergies, do they have asthma or breathing concerns, do they have seizure disorders or epilepsy, etc). Obviously parents do not need to disclose health information or diagnoses, but some basic information is very important. I also ask if they are an only child or not…I find children with siblings are more comfortable around other children, whereas an only child may need a little more help with socialization.

In one group of ID/DD elementary school students I ran, one boy hit another boy seemingly out of nowhere. The mother was terrified they weren’t going to be allowed back, but I spoke with her and we came up with a plan. She would sit in on the group, and would sit between her son and the child he had hit. She also had plenty of strategies of her own, like a visual schedule for her son and social story to prepare him, etc.

As a mother of a young child myself, I like to prepare him for what is going to happen. I’ll start by telling him the night before what we are going to do the next day (“we’re going to go swimming tomorrow” or “we are going to go to tumbling tomorrow” or “your music therapist is coming over tomorrow”). Then when I get him up in the morning, I remind him of what we are going to do and ask what he wants to do periodically until the event happens (“do you want to play on the balance beam today?” “do you want to sing The Wheels on the Bus?” “Are you going to see your friend?”) This seems to help him with expectations and predictability of his schedule.

Diandra Doble

Participant

I ensure to use clear, concise and consistent language with these children. I always give them opportunities for leadership. Whether it be asking a rhetorical question to get them engaged or letting them choose what we do next, I think it is important to give them the reigns and let them make decisions in the music-making space. I praise them when they engage but also let them engage and grow at their own pace, because every child is different. I ensure as well, like Meredith and Elizabeth said, that the children I work with have access to that language in order to communicate when they are “all done.” Providing them with this gesture gives them a way to let the music therapist know that “I am all done with this,” instead of them throwing instruments because they do not have that communication skill.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to content