Share Some Strategies

Home Forums Sprouting Melodies – June 2023 Week 9 Share Some Strategies

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

Julie Palmieri

Participant

Share some strategies you have used to assure every child in your groups is successful.

Sarah Braverman

Participant

When I make music with my groups at the Children’s Museum SPARK, I always have the children in the group play egg shakers. Sometimes, I play songs that are specific for egg shakers like “I Know A Chicken”. After the song, I tell the kids in the group “Great job shaking everyone!”. If the song that I sing for the kids includes numbers like “This Old Man”, I hold up my fingers and ask the kids “How many fingers am I holding up?” When they get the number correct, I say “That’s right!” or “Good Job!”. At the end of the song, I say “You kids know A LOT of numbers!” If the song that I sing for the kids includes animals like “Old McDonald”, I ask “What kind of animals do we find on a farm?” When the kids tell me, sometimes I ask a follow-up question like “What sound does this animal make?” By the end of the song, I say “You kids came up with some fun animals!”

Talia Morales

Participant

I love how we are engaged in music based experiences they can be scaled across abilities and there is always a strength or positive aspect to share and reflect back to participants. That said, choosing intervention/activities that are developmentally considered can make a big impact on assuring success. Certain behavioral strategies like making expectations clear, creating visual schedules, seating accommodations/considerations, positive reinforcement strategies can also assist! Additionally working with other adults and even older participants and siblings in sessions as models can be very helpful.

Julie Palmieri

Participant

Share some strategies you have used to assure each child in your group is successful.

Constantly observing – assessing, readjusting my presentation of a song

Following the child’s lead – from the littlest babies to the energetic 5 year old

Communicating and partnering with parents/caregivers – letting them know that you are on their team

Recognizing and assessing the energy level needed for the group at any given moment. Providing flexibility based on how the kiddos and caregivers are responding to the music

Using less words and letting the music speak for itself – singing directions, if needed!

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to content