Share Some Strategies

Home Forums Sprouting Melodies – September 2022 Week 9 Share Some Strategies

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author

Anonymous

Inactive

Share some strategies you have used to assure every child in your groups is successful.

Celia Grove

Participant

This is a strategy I use with one of my kiddos that isn’t in a group, but I do have one individual client that is one that very casually will drop instruments, not when she’s all done, but just because. I’ve gotten good at looking at her body language right before she drops an instrument, and using “my turn” and taking a turn before giving it back to her for more play, and it has reduced the amount of times she’s dropped instruments.
      In groups, I think that setting group rules has helped- (ex- I have a song we use regularly with our slightly older kiddos about a “Big Belly Bubble” of personal space that we sing at groups, and then reference to) and showing when rules are being followed, not just broken. I think also making sure the atmosphere is safe and welcoming, but also having items if a kiddo needs some extra sensory support is also a good thing.

Erika Svolos

Dumping and dropping are also a typical developmental stage. Typically we see that in 8-10 months but when it comes to neurodivergent children we can see that earlier or later chronologically. Also, as you mentioned, it can provide great sensory input for ND children. Kiddos will do a variety of things from filling objects and dumping them, picking up objects and dropping them. They will do this over and over again as they master skills. If an instrument will be broken…I’ve found teaching about how to keep our instruments safe and then offering alternative things to drop, i.e. a ball or a scarf. This allows the kiddo to learn about caring for materials, what materials can be dropped, and meeting that developmental need of dumping and dropping.

This article has some good info about this stage: https://www.adam-mila.com/milestones/fine-motor-skills/put-in-take-out/#:~:text=Dropping%20Objects%20on%20Purpose,up%2C%20then%20dropping%20them%20again.

Caitlyn Pawelek

Participant

Observing and getting to know the client in the group and what works the best for them has been something I have always tried to do in groups to make sure they are all getting the best experience for them. Watching out for clients that may need extra support and aid and noting times/experiences that I see the most with them helps me prepare for how I can best support in the moment. There is a preschool group that I recently started seeing where all of the clients are at different levels and require different support. In this group, I have to plan out the instruments and experiences that I bring in that can involve everyone, but will not over-stimulate some of the clients in the group. It has been a great learning experience for knowing what is too much for some! Building in sensory and regulation interventions into the schedule has helped for everyone as well.

Brenna Sheaffer

Participant

In some of my PreK groups I have found that lots of enthusiasm and praise work well to get all of the children engaged and redirect towards tasks. If I point out to certain children “Oh, I can tell you’re ready and super excited because you’re shaking the maraca!” is an example of something that I do. Or I say, “Oh I can tell that most of my friends are ready for music and are excited because they’re seated in the circle and ready to play!” I also just observe and respond to children as needed throughout the group. I do a take away if it is needed approach and then reintroduce the item to allow the child to “try again” in lack of better terms. In my social emotional groups, it is also just pointing out to the child as well as the staff, that although the child may not have been engaging in the group and the circle the entire session, there were moments that were engaged and attentive and it is something that will continue to build and grow until eventually they are seated and engaged the entire time.

Samantha M Lawrence

Participant

I tend to think about a lot of concrete physical strategies first, when I think about the groups I’ve had with individuals with differing needs. Strategic seating is always #1 for me. Then some little things like using instruments that don’t get too loud, or can be made quieter quickly (like switching out mallets). Also, always having a back-up plan! I like to always have something in my back pocket. When things go awry and someone gets VERY upset or aggressive, I usually completely switch gears and change what’s happening. I will then usually revisit what was going on later in the session when things have calmed down.

Leeann Mcmorrow

Participant

My professor in college always used to tell us to make sure we knew what each child’s “chocolate eclair” instrument was in our groups. A “chocolate eclair” instrument is the child’s most favorite instrument that is the most motivating for them to play. We would keep those nearby and pull them out and use them at very strategic points during the session.

Leeann Mcmorrow

Participant

-I try to make sure I’m consistent in my language when giving instructions. I try to use the same words each time I’m explaining something, to keep things more clear and concise.
      -Singing instructions whenever possible instead of speaking.
      -Planning smooth transitions from experience to experience.

Hally Batterman

Participant

I have found that the way in which I sequence my music experiences plays a huge role in success within the group. Regulation is a major need that I tend to work on with my kiddos. Sometimes, movement experiences and experiences involving upbeat music can lead to overstimulation. However, it is important to provide those kiddos with the opportunity for growth amongst high energy situations. It’s my job to introduce those incredibly fun and exciting experiences, but also to find a way to bring them back down in a way that feels safe and appropriate so that they can be ready to transition to whatever comes next. I have always paid close attention to the order in which I sequence my music interventions. If we just did something involving A LOT of energy, then the next experience will gradually bring us back down or re-focus our minds to something new and different. This keeps the kiddos actively engaged, while also providing them with a space to organize their bodies.

Grace Baer

Participant

In my groups of young children, I’ve learned to use a few different strategies to bring out the most success for the kids. First, I use short, clear instructions and I try to keep the talking to a minimum. If I need to repeat my instructions, I sing them while I model it. When I see one child struggling to follow the directive, I point out another child by name who is doing it correctly to praise them and encourage the other peers to follow their example. If I notice that a lot of the kiddos are having trouble sitting still or maintaining attention to task, I will incorporate a movement to music intervention that practices listening skills and lets them get their wiggles out. If I notice a child has moved away from the group, I do not call attention to it; rather, I let the interest of the music draw them back in. I may create some extra opportunities for their specific involvement but I don’t try to force their participation. When I see kids having success and following directions, I verbally praise what they’re doing specifically. So instead of just saying “good job”, I’d say “I see Lucas waiting with his shaker in his lap and his hands on his head until we hear ‘go’!” This way the kids know exactly which specific behaviors are being rewarded when they hear the praise.

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to content