Share Some Strategies

Home Forums Sprouting Melodies – September 2023 Week 9 Share Some Strategies

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • Author

Julie Palmieri

Participant

Share some strategies you have used to assure every child in your groups is successful.

MacKenzie Lyons

Participant

Share some strategies you have used to assure each child in your group is successful.
      I have used signs such as “all done,” “clean up,” “fast,” “slow,” “ready,” and “one more time.” I have found that when I pair signs with verbal/musical cues the children that I am working with start to comprehend what I am saying sooner, and they start to sign back to me and their caregivers before they can verbally communicate. In a recent Sprouting Melodies 3 class, another music therapist and myself started to notice that one child was consistently running around and screaming during every class. It started to get to the point where it was distracting for other children in the group and would take away from the musical experience. So we called her mother outside of the class time to learn more about her behaviors outside of Sprouting Melodies. We were able to come up with a game plan when consulting with her mom to try and incorporate movement sooner in the session as well as more frequently. Ultimately this was beneficial to this child but it also benefited all the other children in the room.

Amy Calderon

Participant

I didn’t think to learn those other signs! That is awesome and thank you for sharing that story on your collaboration with a parent!

Courtney McDonald

Participant

To increase success in my sessions, I use sign language, Spanish, icons, and multi-sensory experiences throughout most of the session. There are also many different of AAC used in my sessions; from high-tech )Ipad with communication apps) to low tech (big talk buttons). I always endeavor to have songs with multi-levels for the developmental levels so that at any time I can pivot to a different version to meet the needs to my clients in the moment. The last strategy is to include the staff, teachers, caregivers as much as possible with modeling, assisting, and participating in the music. When all of the people in the room are enjoying and participating, it is hard to not have success on many levels.

Erika (TeamRH)

Keymaster

Thank you all for your insights! This is another great question to learn from each other.

Camryn Gallagher

Participant

My co-leader and I focus a lot on using simple, direct language that helps establish the ground rules for everyone in the room to hear, including the caregivers. One that we use a lot is “Feet on the floor!” as we have a table in the room that children like to climb or try to stand on. We tend to have success with that sort of “positive” language that focuses on what the child should do rather than what they shouldn’t do – “Feet on the floor” rather than “Don’t stand on the table.” I do, however, really like the language Elizabeth uses in the video – “we don’t do that here.” I do think that children need to hear that! We also try to redirect behavior by finding a similar, more safe behavior that might still meet the sensory need that climbing meets, like jumping, marching, or being lifted up high by an adult/carrying them while we walk around the room together.

Lydia Westle

Participant

Agreeing with what others shared, I’ve found that simple, direct language is often helpful, as well as modeling what I want the children / caregivers to do – whether it’s demonstrated musically, verbally or a combination of both, depending on the circumstance.

I appreciate what Elizabeth had shared in the videos in regards to proximity, as well as what Meredith mentioned in regards to having a chair on wheels! I had recently started using a stool on wheels for the first time a few months ago in my groups and honestly found it to be life changing! It has made such a difference to more easily be able to check in with kids quickly in different places in the room, in a way that still allows me to look accessible to the group as a whole.

When I think about strategies to help kids be successful, I also naturally think about strategies that I’ve used to help caregivers feel empowered and successful as well. As I’ve mentioned in some of my other posts, often the caregivers I’m working with are very overwhelmed and this group may be one of the few, if not the only opportunity, to connect with their child in a way that feels “normal’ and “non-medical.” Even though the experience is designed to be comforting, caregivers in the medical setting understandably can still feel intimidated sometimes or apprehensive of how to interact with their medically fragile baby. I’ve found it helpful to invite caregivers to participate to the level they feel comfortable, while modeling, encouraging and providing tips of ways they can engage.

Maura Nicholson

Participant

Pairing visuals with verbal cues has always helped me with gaining and sustaining attention within a group setting. Continuously scanning the room also helps. I echo what Camryn said about redirecting children to what they should be doing rather than what they shouldn’t unless of course safety becomes an issue.

Elmira Abasova

Participant

I try to give examples of what reactions are expected for that age group – it helps parents to understand early development.
      As MacKenzie said, using sign language is incredibly beneficial. Some older kids benefit from using a visual session schedule. Also, I try to speak slowly, using short sentences and repeat if needed.
      I give options and address all children during the session. If time allows, I listen to parents’ feedback and suggestions after the session. Also, I create situations of success for children and praise them for any help or signs of active participation.

Daniel DeLucia

Participant

As Maura has said, I also have seen success through using paired visual and musical/verbal cues. I find that pairing these together provides different mediums for each child to engage with as well as creates a space where children who have different abilities are able to understand the directions given. I think it also signals to the children that we understand and acknowledge them.
      Another strategy that I have used within groups is providing a playful and fun temperament. I think this creates the space for children to feel motivated and create a feeling of excitement and anticipation when playing music or trying new experiences.
      Lastly, within group settings, I found that to get other group members engaged, using the group member who is most engaged frequently as a model for the rest of the group, as well as act as a motivator. I found that it tends to better interpersonal interactions between the group members and facilitates group cohesion and a sense of community.

Olivia Todd

Participant

One strategy I use often is pairing ASL and/or visual materials with verbal cues. Children communicate in so many different ways or they may not have the means to express themselves yet. Using multiple communication styles provides an environment for students to explore communication and express themselves in different ways. During my college education, my professors put a lot of emphasis on transitions and “on-boarding and off-boarding” songs. I use a clean up song when it is time to put away instruments, and now that we are a few months into the school year, as soon as the children hear me sing the first words they begin putting the instruments away. On the same note, at the end of the song I often end with very clear directions. For example, the last verse of a movement song would be adapted to go find their seats, or an in an instrument song to put their instruments in their lap. This has helped tremendously in keeping children engaged and successful in the session.

Kate Jihye Choi

Participant

I haven’t had enough music group experience in early childhood, but I have had many experiences with elderly adults. And I often found many similarities between those two populations so that it may be helpful for you. One strategy that worked well in my group with elderly adults is giving them a clear cue. Giving them a clear cue can help them understand better what is going on in the group and help them be more confident and willing to participate in the session. It might have to be personalized to each participant. Someone would need a visual cue, auditory cue, or both of them at the same time. Determining what kind of stimulation works better for each one would be helpful to run the group more smoothly.

Amy Calderon

Participant

I have used signs to signify we are all done. I verbally prime by letting them know what is coming next and that we are almost done with an activity and then use transition songs, usually clean up, so they know it time to put things away for the next activity and then put those items out of sight. I make sure I am paying attention to the energy level of the group so I can make adjustments as I go. I observe and jump in when I need to so we can all remain safe. I reassure parents when they become concerned about their child’s behavior. I allow for opportunities to make choices. Even with babies I might present two items and then give them the one they reach out for first.

Jessica Solimini

As usual… I’m not using strategies myself. However from the times I have been able to observe sessions, I have seen the music therapists use direct verbal cues, visual aides, and forms of sign language to encourage participation and cooperation with their clients. Also giving choices, which can empower the children / clients and give them a feeling of control. I know with my own daughter even now, if I’m not willing to give her what she wants, but I can give her a choice between two things that I am okay with, allowing her to choose makes her feeling independent and in control. So all of these are good strategies for making the kids successful.

Billie Junget

Participant

I like to make sure caregivers know there are no expectations for how it looks for their child to engage in the music. Taking pressure off the caregiver, in turn, gives the child more freedom to explore and engage in how they see fit. I pair signs with my instructions and teach them to parents to assist in developing language and understanding. I like to incorporate movement if there are many wiggles in the room, I rather shake up the “typical” structure of the interventions to support the children than to be stuck in one way and try to have them sit with their caregiver. I am sure to assist in transitions to help the children be successful, pairing them with song and cues before and during clean ups and other transitions. I often also give a choice between two when changing direction/dynamics during instrument play or movements. I give choices of instruments and scarves by offering a variety of choices for the kiddos to choose what color they’d like on their own.

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to content