Share some thoughts about the challenges of providing multi-age groupings

Home Forums Sprouting Melodies Training – April 2013 Week 8 Share some thoughts about the challenges of providing multi-age groupings

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • Author

Meredith Pizzi

Keymaster

Emily Seymour

Participant

One of the challenges I face when working with multi-age groups is using music that is age appropriate for every member of the group.  Even beyond the music itself, some members of the group may be cognitively ready for certain activities while others are not.  This goes back to the idea of finding that balance and providing enough stimulation for each client.  In Sprouting Melodies, I think that tailoring the music to fit the developmental needs of each child may be a challenge since each stage is so unique and specific.  There were some great strategies in the video that I appreciated!

Kristen Macleod

Participant

I think that one of the main challenges is incorporating everyone in the session with music that is age appropriate and interventions that will benefit those in the group on different levels.  I agree with you Emily that finding the right balance can sometimes be difficult. I havent worked with children this young who are mixed ages or levels/abilities but I found the information this week useful in helping me think about how I might begin this work. I liked what Meredith and Beth said about staying consistent with musical selections so that the younger children can find a sense of structure and predictability and be supported but also within this consistency older children have the freedom to be more creative within the safety of the structure. this will address whichever musical developmental level they are at. I also liked the idea of encouraging joint play where the older kids can act as models for the younger kids.  Thanks for these strategies.

Anonymous

Inactive

I would agree with Emily that finding and maintaining music that is age appropriate for everyone can be a challenge. I would add to this the actions and activity level. When I ran large music therapy groups in a public school, almost all of my groups had children whose level of functioning and development were drastically different. It was quite a challenge to meet each group members needs throughout the entire session. I always tried to keep in my mind that my expectations for participation needed to be different for each student just like in a multi-age group you have to remember that a younger child’s response will be different than an older child’s response. And making sure I provide opportunities and space for these differences to occur. And to add to this, Kristen pointed out great suggestions from the video about consistency and musical selections for structure and predictability and encouraging joint play.

Elizabeth Schwartz

Keymaster

One of the things I think about when I compose songs is how to put in something for everyone.  One way to do this is to write what I call “Songs about Nothing” where the lyrics are not specific to any particular concept or idea (I Like This Song is one of those.) With very generic lyrics, the song is not tied to a certain age or developmental level.

I also work to promote the leadership skills of the older kids and model for them how to be the ‘helper’ or ‘music leader’.

Lauren Bevilacqua

Participant

Providing for everyone across all levels and stages of development. You have to be aware of the energy level, of surprises, of startle responses from the little ones while still providing appropriate experiences for the older children. We need to be inclusive of varying skill levels and finding a space for everyone to enjoy and be satisfied in the music.

Lisa Klostermann

Participant

I actually really enjoy providing multi-age groups.  I love that the littles get to watch and learn from the bigs.  I love seeing families together!  I think one of the biggest challenges is making sure to have “time” for the smaller babies.  As was mentioned, the older kids are so enthusiastic they can easily ‘take over’ a group if you are not careful.  Also, I definitely agree with Lauren’s comment that we must be aware of energy level and startle responses in the little ones.

Jillian Brown

Participant

The challenges I’ve personally experienced revolve around children being at different developmental levels, having different needs whether it be emotionally, physically or mentally, and being able to engage everybody. I am thinking of a case in particular that I have where there are 4 children under the age of 5 years old. There is a 5 year old, a 1 1/2 year old and two twin sisters the age of 2 1/2 and one of the twins has severe cerebral palsy. In the work I’m doing now I have individual goals for the child with the CP but then I’m also working with the family so my visits are broken up into one family visit per month and two 1:1 visits with the child (I’d love to see her weekly but we don’t have the funding but are hoping to get more money soon!). The challenges I’ve faced during the family group experience is that the oldest child really wants to be imaginative and creative while the 2 1/2 year old normally functioning child is more shy, reserved and acts out. The 1 1/2 year old is experimenting with my whole bag of instruments and the 2 1/2 year old with CP is on the ground taking everything in. It has been so hard for me to feel like I’m engaging everybody and paying equal attention to all the children while still working on goals for the child with CP. I think after viewing the family sprouts video I’ve been given some insight about how to use songs and activities that will engage the older kids but still be good for the younger ones. I have to say though, working with a family of children of all different ages is not my favorite thing to do!

Megan Goddu

Participant

I think the hardest thing about leading a mult-age group is making sure everyone is being included. While I have not ran a group like that with young children; I have run a couple of different groups with wide age and developmental ranges. The hardest one was a group of 10 from the ages of about late 20s to early 60s… it was very hard to find songs likes by all; however regardless of the song, I would always try to make sure everyone enjoyed at least one aspect of it… be it singing the song, playing a particular instrument or dancing to the song. It was always a challenge… a good challenge to make sure you are always thinking of the best way to work with the group.

Michelle Muth

Participant

As Meredith and Beth mentioned, this can be the most challenging group due to the potential developmental diversity levels.  How do I help that infant not to be startled while engaging his 4-year old brother in playful music?  How do I help the family bond and create joy together during the session?  These are thoughts I would keep present in leading such a session.  Music that is suited to the older child can be modified to meet the developmental needs of the infant through soft singing, few dynamic changes.  If there are anticipatory moments sometimes doing things in a whisper fashion with toddlers can be just as exciting as loud.  Lap songs could be done with the older infant in Mom/Dad’s lap with the baby in front of both.  This if my favorite image to see everyone partaking in the lap song with the parents arms embracing all the children.  I think my job is to be as well-versed in the development levels and appropriate songs, comfortable in my ability to work with a diverse developmental group and hep guide parents in what is taking place in the room.  This is the same philosophy for any of the Sprouting Melodies programs.

Elizabeth Schwartz

Keymaster

I might have mentioned this before, but one thing I keep in mind when working with multi-age or sibling groups is the question: “Who is my client?” The same goes for typical kids. If it about the child? the grownup? or the relationship between them? Is it about each child individually or the relationship between or among them?

Carla Carnegie

Participant

my thoughts are along the lines of others:  it is a challenge to remain aware and be able to keep things moving and exciting for the bigger kids, yet safe, and nurturing for the littlest ones.  I did appreciate the tips on engaging the older ones to help and be a model for the little ones,  encouraging the parents to model how the older kids can find a new friend to dance, twirl, or jump with.

Jillian, you not only had the challenge of different ages and developmental stages, but, you also had the extra challenge of modifying everything to include a child with a disability.   But, I agree, the SM video helps bring to light how to modify and adapt both music and

activities to engage and meet the music and developmental needs of both older and younger ones.  Michelle, I resonated with your last statement: it is my job to  be as well-versed in the development levels and appropriate songs, be confident in our abilities as trained Music Therapists

with a diverse group, and help the parents understand what is happening.  Elizabeth, I would suppose the question of “who is my client” may vary from session to session, depending on the day, who’s there and what is going on.

Carla Carnegie

Participant

my thoughts are along the lines of others:  it is a challenge to remain aware and be able to keep things moving and exciting for the bigger kids, yet safe, and nurturing for the littlest ones.  I did appreciate the tips on engaging the older ones to help and be a model for the little ones,  encouraging the parents to model how the older kids can find a new friend to dance, twirl, or jump with.

Jillian, you not only had the challenge of different ages and developmental stages, but, you also had the extra challenge of modifying everything to include a child with a disability.   But, I agree, the SM video helps bring to light how to modify and adapt both music and

activities to engage and meet the music and developmental needs of both older and younger ones.  Michelle, I resonated with your last statement: it is my job to  be as well-versed in the development levels and appropriate songs, be confident in our abilities as trained Music Therapists

with a diverse group, and help the parents understand what is happening.  Elizabeth, I would suppose the question of “who is my client” may vary from session to session, depending on the day, who’s there and what is going on.

Courtney Fanello

Participant

With multiple ages in a group, I think it is very easy to get caught up in providing experiences for the the ones that have the most enthusiastic response. I have to constantly remind myself to look at the big picture and to look for any signs that something is too much, or that a child is disengaging. I love to have the big kids show the little kids what to do, especially get them to show their “tricks” to the little ones. I used to have to lead sessions at the hospital where I could have a 14 year old and a two year old in the same group. What I found was that in the end, we all like to have fun and the most important thing is to stay engaging and interesting.

Vanessa Talbott

Participant

I have taught multi age classes before and I found the most challenging aspect of it teaching to the youngest and the oldest at the same time. I especially felt that the infant age group was harder to meet the needs of when in a multi-age group. I do not have any multi-age classes right now. I do enjoy though when siblings come to class every once in a while to watch the interaction between siblings.

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to content