Share Your Experiences Using These Songs

Home Forums Sprouting Melodies – January 2022 Week 3 Share Your Experiences Using These Songs

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author

Erika Svolos

Learn and sing some of the songs presented in the videos. Share your experiences using these songs on forum.

Amy Brownell

Participant

I used “A Car On My Knee” with paper snowflakes with a group of toddlers. They enthusiastically interacted with the snowflakes by placing them on different body parts and by holding them out for me to do the same. This song kept them engaged for several minutes as they smiled and laughed.

Erika Svolos

I love this! Thank you for sharing.

Amy Brownell

Participant

I’ve been using more of the songs over the course of the program – my kiddos loved Wiggly Jiggly Car today! The Tickle Song has also been a favorite with my younger kiddos!

Emily Fabian

Participant

I plan on using the song “Do You Want to Be My Friend” with my students in 1-3 grade this week. At my school, this is a special week called Catholic’s school week where the importance of kindness, honesty, integrity, love, and faith are displayed throughout the school in which teacher’s have planned many engaging and informative activities and lessons for the students. I think incorporating this song for this week will help me speak to the students about such important concepts in life and in school in a meaningful and musical way.

Erika Svolos

Sounds like a great plan! If you have the time to come back and share what the experience was like, I think that will be very valuable and meaningful to the group.

Amy Brownell

Participant

I would love to hear how this turns out!

Maggie Murphy

Participant

I’m not familiar with this song, but this sounds like a great plan. Is there a specific version that you can recommend for me to look up on youtube?

Maggie Murphy

Participant

Disregard, I was able to locate the notated music in one of our packets, but I don’t think it was covered in the videos!

Jessica Gelineau

Participant

Throughout this week and last week I have had the opportunity to use the song Car on My Knee. I used it with one of my clients with a shaker instead of a car. We practiced putting the shaker on our head, knee, toe and belly, we even practiced putting it on her mom and sister! She really enjoyed this song. Although it is not a song, I also used the phrase “delicious” that was discussed within the videos. I used the phrase while using a vocal glissando, crescendo and ascending melodic line. I use this while tapping on a lollipop drum to give an added visual. The clients that I have used this with have been absolutely loving this silly phrase! Such a great opportunity to increase joint attention and encourage fun and silly play as well as vocalizations.

Amy Brownell

Participant

So glad it has worked well for you!

Aliza Llovet

Participant

One of the clients I am working with has been having difficulty with the addition of a new baby at her daycare. It has caused extreme clinginess to both daycare teacher and Foster Dad to the point that they can not even go to the bathroom. I used the song Car on My Knee but changed it to a baby and re-introduced a toy baby doll that she has. This has increased her interest in the toy and provides her a way to engage with it where she was previously disinterested.

Maggie Murphy

Participant

I was not able to use any of the songs in clinical practice this past week, but I was able to learn the songs and practice at home. What I can say is that “Just Like Me” is quite the ear worm! I would imagine this is because of the highly repetitive nature of the song (especially the melody lines). This quality will make the song easier for the child and parent to learn (and used outside of session/classes).

Amy Brownell

Participant

I agree, I’ve had some of these songs stuck in my head as well!

Hannah Floyd

Participant

I used Car on My Knee with my younger classrooms with week. Similar to Jessica I also replaced with with a shaker. We covered alot of parts of our body, and I was able in one classroom have a students then choose what body parts they wanted to tap with the shaker next. They were able to stay engaged for a good period of time.

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to content