Share Your Experiences Using These Three Songs

Home Forums Sprouting Melodies – January 2023 Week 3 Share Your Experiences Using These Three Songs

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author

Julie Palmieri

Participant

Learn and sing some of the songs presented in the videos. Share your experiences using these songs on forum.

Erika Svolos

I look forward to hearing each person’s experiences with the songs! Remember to come back to each week to read other participant’s submissions and to respond to other’s posts. We have found that this helps to deepen your experiences with the training information.

Sean FitzGerald

Participant

I enjoyed learning and playing around with the music this week, the songs were easy to learn and fun to manipulate. The song that stuck out the most to me was “Just Like Me” partly because it was stuck in my head for about an hour after learning it, but also because I enjoy the structure. As soon as I heard the song, I just thought that it was very malleable and that you could use it in almost any situation which is great for being flexible and working with a client’s needs in the moment. My brain just thought of a bunch of different ways to use it like to order tying your shoes for kids slightly older, for conversation skills if you do call and response with a client, and more! Thanks for sharing these songs they were a joy to learn!

Kayla Stubblefield

Participant

Like Sean, the song that has been in my head was Just Like Me! It is so useful to cover multiple domains if need be, especially depending on the client! My brain first went to how it could be used for practicing activities of daily living, which encompasses lots of necessary skills that I help support kids with every day.

Jorden Liteplo

Participant

Haha three for three! I used just like me in my 0-6 month class this morning! I find caregivers really love when music gives them something to ‘do’ with their baby and because it’s melodically so simple it’s so easy to take and do at home!

Angie Snell

Participant

Yes, the Just Like Me is one that is quickly learned and applied. I find that musical anticipation is the powerful element of each of the songs shared in this unit. Using our voice, facial expressions, and movement to indicate anticipation allows us to hold/share that together with the child within the structure of the music. So very fun!

Erika (TeamRH)

Keymaster

Thank you, each, for sharing your experiences.

-Erika Svolos

Leah Strand

Participant

I really enjoyed the tickle song. I think the reason it was created and the others ways it can be used is wonderful. Anticipation can be a good tool for a lot of things. Perhaps unpleasant activities, new people, or places. Having this quick familiar song in your back pocket may do wonders with making a child feel comfortable in their space.

Angie Snell

Participant

The Just Like Me song is one that I have used in Parent and Me music therapy groups. It helps to orient the parents/caregivers to the benefits of sharing the music together socially, using timed touch and shared facial expressions of joy. It is important to empower the caregivers by outlining that we value the child’s response rather than trying to “make them respond in a specific way.” The shared joy is the association we want to establish when the parent and child are making music together.

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to content