Share Your Strategies

Home Forums Sprouting Melodies Training – July 2014 Week 9 Share Your Strategies

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author

Meredith Pizzi

Keymaster

Share some strategies you have used to assure every child in your groups is successful.

Katie Bagley

Participant

Some strategies I have learned to create opportunities for success for all participants include developmentally appropriate music and interventions. When working with a mixed group of ages, such as Family Sprouts groups, it is important to utilize engaging music for the older children, while not creating sensory overstimulation for the younger members. There is a balance, in which it is possible to use engaging songs with maybe less range of dynamics or timbre, to achieve a successful experience for all participants. Older children can also be great models and helpers for their younger siblings.

Kerry Cornelius

Participant

Many of the strategies/opportunities for success discussed this week are behavioral techniques that I already employ in my practice. I provide my clients with ample opportunities for choice-making (instruments, songs, visuals, etc), as well as use the music as an attention-grabber. I will often improvise song lyrics that narrate what the child is doing (even if they appear dis-engaged from the session), and do my best to produce and create music that supports what the client(s) is doing. In addition, as Katie mentioned above, using age and developmentally appropriate instruments and songs can make the difference between a success-oriented session and what could otherwise be a very frustrating or over/under stimulating experience for a child.

Katherine Sestrick

Participant

Many of the strategies that I use for success have been covered in the course material and in the answers supplied above. I think having structure, but allowing that structure to be flexible is the most important criteria for success. Having structure gives the families and the children a sense of what to expect and thus, they are more comfortable within the sessions. One must be flexible, however, to adapt to the changing needs of the class. In addition, the choice of music is critical for ensuring success. Keeping in mind the up and down flow of the class, the music will stimulate when needed and calm when needed as well. Strategies that have been discussed for engaging all children are also very useful. I use choices often to foster a sense of control and independence within the group and to give children a feeling of ownership. They may not necessarily be engaged with scarves during a particular song, but by choosing their own color scarf, they are demonstrating some amount of investment in the activity. I also use a lot of talking “through” the child to the parent. For a kiddo who is off in the marching around in a circle, when everyone else is sitting, I may engage him by saying some thing such as, “Looks like Jimmy wants to march. Let’s sing this song, and then we can all try some marching with Jimmy.” This might encourage Jimmy to come to the circle and sing the song if he knows that he is going to get the chance to march later.

Christina Wensveen

Participant

To ensure every child is successful, I try to incorporate a variety of sensory activities. Not all children learn the same and so using a tickle song, a movement song, a scarf song provides stimulation in a variety of ways. I also believe being flexible assists in making children successful. Incorporating a child’s name and action can re-direct them back to the group if their attention is wandering. Offering choices is another way of engaging a child. This way the child can choose a favourite song/instrument. I have had older children take a leadership role in the session and hand out instruments or lead the group with actions.

Katie Romano

Participant

To ensure that everyone can be engaged and participates I try to keep the sessions active with a change in pace. With songs and activities changing- keep them on their toes. Offering freedom within the structure- they can pick instruments and even songs for choice boards or something. Another way to encourage engagement is my asking kids opinions on different aspects such as speed or volume of a song and then do their suggestions. Putting their names in songs also works!

Katie Romano

Participant

To ensure that everyone can be engaged and participates I try to keep the sessions active with a change in pace. With songs and activities changing- keep them on their toes. Offering freedom within the structure- they can pick instruments and even songs for choice boards or something. Another way to encourage engagement is my asking kids opinions on different aspects such as speed or volume of a song and then do their suggestions. Putting their names in songs also works!

Kathryn Costanza

Participant

The interesting thing about groups is the difference between a successful group experience and a successful experience for every individual. It can be quite a challenge to meet both of these needs, especially if you work with large (10+ people) groups like Meredith has. I, personally, have found structure to be the most successful tool to build a foundation for a group so that every individual can be successful in their personal ways while the group still has momentum as a whole. This structure can manifest in different ways, like doing certain types of activities in a certain order (hello, sensory, gross motor, cognitive task, singalong, instrument play, cool-down, goodbye), always singing specific songs for transitions or providing a preferred activity at the end if all work is completed, etc. In intervention planning, I used to plan for “group” play vs. “solo” play with instruments or singing, so I could be assisting an individual, while the group was still engaged as a whole. Also, in groups with varied levels of ability, I would ask higher functioning clients to be leaders or helpers for their peers who needed more assistance. This was always met with excitement and a sense of pride in being a helper. Musically, starting with immediate command, energy, consistency, and positivity always helped me start with the group’s attention and then helped me keep it. Using silence, dynamics, glissandos, range shifts, and tempo changes in particular have been effective methods of maintaining attention throughout activities in the past.

My number one strategy no matter who I’m working with is the use of humor. I work with some pretty tough customers and am frequently challenged to ensure that all participants get something positive out of each session. I also rely heavily on a vast and versatile repertoire and am always learning new songs. It is also important to recognize the subtle ways in which people respond to music. For example, a participant who sits staring into space with arms across his chest may appear unengaged and disinterested, but is he tapping a foot ever so slightly in time to the music? With very small children, sitting and staring may indicate that the child is taking it all in. A child tearing around the room may be over-stimulated or simply enthusiastic. In general, be alert, assess frequently, and utilize all skills in your tool box!

Jonni Fogerty

Participant

Age-appropriate music and a variety of different experiences are the foundation of a success-oriented environment. I also typically screen families up front using the registration form for the class to collect information about the child so that I can plan more effectively for the group ahead of time. This information helps me to be more flexible within the session as well, adapting to the needs of the children as observed during the session. Another strategy for success is to engage the adults in the room. Explain why we are implementing the specific musical experiences and model for them how to encourage and assist the children.

Nicole Sanabria

Participant

By providing a safe, structured, and predictable environment which supports creative expression and exploration is the foundation that children need to maximize their success. Developmental appropriate music, keeping in mind the simplicity or complexity when working in multi-age groupings. Engagement, engagement, and engagement. We have so many experiences that we can provide, and remember to use those experiences at such times when the atmosphere calls for it (dynamics, tempo, timbre – movement, musical instrument, singing, etc). Provide the children with various responsibilities while in the group (passing/collecting instruments, leading the next movement, or animal noise to sing, taking turns, sharing, etc) which encourages group cohesion.

Kasey Sollenberger

Participant

To make sure every child has an opportunity for success, the therapist must be flexible and observant throughout each session. Strategies such as speaking with parents about redirection, positive reinforcement, and modeling will aid the therapist in ensuring the children are successful. Being observant and flexible by noticing reactions to changes in music will help the therapist to know what is working or not working for the group.

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to content