Share Your Strategies

Home Forums Sprouting Melodies Training – January 2016 Week 9 Share Your Strategies

Viewing 19 reply threads
  • Author

Meredith Pizzi

Keymaster

Share some strategies you have used to assure every child in your groups is successful.

Kelsy Gati

Participant

I will use music that is appropriate, repetitive, predictable and well understood! Beyond that, I will use my music therapy training to assess and gain an understanding of group needs versus individual needs and plan activities that appeal to that assessment. I will also bear in mind the different developmental levels that we have discussed over the weeks and how that information pertains to and impacts each group.

I will also be sure to provide encouragement, direction and assistance to parents as needed to provide opportunities for them to feel settled and comfortable. I think if the parents have a certain level of comfort it will impact the child’s ability to be open, free and independent within music time!

Katy Hutchings

Participant

I constantly remind myself that every child is different and unique. While some children might love high energy songs, others will engage more in the softer gentler ones. Also children (and adults!) may respond differently week to week depending on a whole variety of factors. It is important to be responsive to these changes in responses and to be flexible to the children’s needs that week. But it is also important to remember when I have a tough group that outside factors might be more at play than the music. Who knows what happened before the group started.

Most importantly, I have found that it is always vital to remember that we, meaning the children and adults in the group, are there to make music together. Everyone needs to participate in their own way and while I may be the leader and main facilitator, it is also not a solo performance. Every group is like a team sport and every player is valuable and essential.

Kristina Rowles

Participant

The best way to make sure every child is successful is to really know all the members of the group really well. While it is not always possible, it is really helpful to know each individual’s strengths and areas of improvement. Knowing this helps me to plan interventions that allow for everyone to be successful. Repetition and a variety of experiences allows for each member to participate and learn from another member’s strengths. Overtime with repetition of experiences members can also become successful at something they may have once struggled with.

Ann Marie Raddell

Participant

One strategy that I have found helpful is to meet each child where he/she is at. Each child is different and his/her needs may be different. Continually assessing the individual needs of the group members, while also keeping the group dynamic in mind is so important. In doing so, both the children and the caregivers are comfortable. I have observed that parents get really nervous when a child displays behaviors that are very typical for that particular age group. In supporting the parent in managing the child’s behaviors, and reminding the parent that the child’s responses are natural for his/her developmental age, the parent is better able to relax and ENJOY the music-making time with the little one.

I also have learned through the years to have fun with the groups. When I am having fun, those participating sense that joy too.

Belinda Adams

Participant

I have always worked hard to address all children or clients for that matter in the here and now. It’s important to meet the children where they are and allow them to be themself rather than force them to do something else. This often takes a lot of education for parents, as they see their child doing something different as not following directions.

In addition, I have adapted songs on the spot to change the behavior that the children are producing or to call others back to the group. I’ve also added in specific instruments so that all of the children can access the music.

My favorite part is having fun with everyone! I want all of the families to leave having learned something, musically but also about themselves and their child.

Kristen McSorley

Participant

I make sure to design experiences that enable every child to be successful and vary my expectations depending on the child. I’ve found it’s helpful to communicate this with staff/parents as well so that they can understand why I’m not expecting the same behavioral response from every child but instead celebrating their strengths. Honoring every child’s unique response to music, even when it may not be the ‘expected’ response, is crucial to a successful and supportive environment.

Laetitia Brundage

Participant

Over the last couple years I’ve settled on two mantras that help me shift my perspective in both planning and executing a lesson or session. 1.”Act without expectation” and 2.”Control is an illusion, embrace flexibility.” Often a class becomes the most successful when you can let yourself go and take input from the class. Always have a framework in mind, but enhance that framework by drawing from the kiddos with whom you’re working. Modeling this for parents is also great by educating them on how unique and/or appropriate a child’s response to the music might be, even if it is unexpected. I find myself talking a lot about how we as adults respond to music as opposed to how kids respond to music, the many many varieties within those two worlds, and the validity of all those responses as long as we’re being safe. If Billy just wants to dance today, let him dance!!

Anonymous

Inactive

Wonderful responses! Thank you each for sharing.

Tiffany Lee

Participant

To assure that every child is successful, I will use the same strategies I practice MT, combined with the knowledge I have learned here. 1) Plan multiple plans 2) Lead, prepared that very little will go according to plan 3) See each client as an individual with their own process, personality, and needs. 4) Communicate, communicate, communicate so that things are reinforced at home and parents know their influence is most important. 5) Keep it fun for everyone! I think utilizing creativity while keeping the suggested structure will keep things interesting, yet consistent, which I think are two ingredients that every kid needs to succeed!

Noelle Larson

Participant

I love reading all of your strategies, it’s so great to hear what mindsets and techniques have been helpful for all of you! I really appreciate Laetitia’s two montras about embracing flexibility and acting without expectation. As a general concept, I think that learning to be more flexible as a person and as a music therapist has been the biggest marker of maturity on my personal journey from being a music therapy student, to an intern, to a professional music therapist, and it is what enables me to help all my children to succeed and have joy in music. Earlier on, I would think and plan through how I hoped a session would go; as you all know from experience, things usually don’t go much like the plans we make in advance, especially before we have much experience with that group! As I have developed personally and professionally, I have learned to have much more equilibrium between planning and preparing for how I think a session might progress, but being free and flexible to embrace changes in the moment and meet my clients in the unique situations. In practical terms, this means that I still push myself musically and clinically to expand my repertoire, think of ways to keep things fresh, learn new activities, and think in advance about how I might address recurring behavior challenges or joys, while still remembering the great beauty in familiarity and predictability for the children and families in my groups. Participating in this class has been part of that process for me, and I look forward to pursuing more continuing education in the future to build and expand my clinical knowledge and skill base. Flexibility as a music therapist to me also looks maintaining a healthy balance between keeping track of data and figures while still remaining deeply child-centered. I never want to use an intervention that makes numerical sense but doesn’t meet the emotional needs of my clients or “fit” in current climate of the session. As others have said and in previous forums, we have a great gift as music therapists to be able to adapt ourselves, our music, and our treatments to meet the changing needs of our clients in the moment. This is only truly possible if we remain elastic in our expectations and are willing to let go of plans, hopes, and goals in exchange for better ones as needs arise.

Thinking of specific strategies, I really enjoy using greeting songs and activities that allow us as a group to individually welcome and briefly check in with each child, of course being developmentally mindful of the right ages and stages to do so. In my experience, older toddlers and preschool-aged children are often very interested in sharing their contribution, whether musical or verbal; others may feel shy, and we can adapt the experience to be non-threatening while still inviting them to participate. I find that taking this small moment to go around and acknowledge each child helps me to affirm him or her; otherwise, I may not have a positive context in which to even say each child’s name in the course of a session (perhaps only addressing a child with re-direction, or only calling out the positive behaviors in certain children as they occur). It is important to each of us as human beings to feel that we matter to the others in our lives, whether we choose to participate or not, and this is an area that we can really speak (and sing!) into as music therapists that helps with each child’s emotional and social development. We crave being noticed and valued, and I find that doing so for each child at the start of the session not only helps me get a reading on the climate of my group that day, but also helps me gauge the developmental progress each child makes throughout the course of our time together.

Sarah Szymanowski

Participant

I very much appreciated the presentation on strategies for success, particularly “troubleshooting” scenarios with children who may be seemingly not engaged or children who may be intrusive. In the small preschool music therapy trio I am currently running, I have seen these behaviors come up, and reviewing how to let the child process in his own way versus gently foster engagement was a great validation for me at this time. Also in this group, I have a very physically intrusive child. It is also great validation to hear that it is my job to keep the room safe, even if that means interfering on a physical level.

Noelle, I marvel at your eloquence so soon after giving birth (congratulations, by the way!). I really appreciate your thought of flexibility as a PERSON in addition to as a music therapist. We can best put into our work what we practice in our daily lives.

Kristina Rio

Participant

Noelle, congratulations! I love your updated photo.

Great responses everyone. I enjoyed reading everyone’s reflections on this topic.

Jennifer Whitlow

Participant

I think flexibility is a huge key to making sure that children are safe and that the environment is safe. Every week will be different as the children will have different needs. Using iso-principals and being able to be flexible in the moment will help the children and caregivers really benefit from these services. I also thinking my ability to engage with the children and talking to the caregivers will assist that everyone is benefiting from the services.

I got to experience another early childhood program, while engaging in this course. I think pacing is so important. Understanding the importance of the gathering, bonding, and song about me experiences. I think these are great strategies to bring into these groups.

Stephanie Harris

Participant

Be flexible. Be repetitive. Engage each child at their level. Be passionate, professional, and persistent. Assess if a child not engaging needs further resources/support or needs new challenges. Set expectations. Have FUN!

Tracy Wanamaker

Participant

I find that the best strategy is to try to meet every student where they are at that moment. This means always being observant and in the moment with the children, so that you can change what you are doing based on the needs of the group. This requires flexibility in everything that you do. Creating a warm, comfortable, accepting, non-judgemental, and safe environment is also crucial to the success of each child. It’s not only important that the children feel this, but also the parents. If parents don’t feel that the group is welcoming and accepting, they will often hold their child back and try to control what they are doing to avoid negative feelings. If the parents feel safe, this gives them the opportunity to let their child explore and grow. I often feel that when working with parents and children – it’s often the parents that need more “tending” than the students. It reminds me of the saying “If Momma ain’t happy, then no one is happy”. If the parents don’t feel welcome, then they are likely to keep the child close and not allow them to explore and experience the wonderful things the experience has to offer!

Ashley Carroll

Participant

One of my professors from undergrad always said “Music the music.” That is one mantra that has stuck with me through the years. I sometimes say TOO much when introducing a new experience and have to remind myself “music the music.” With most clients, especially small children, the less talking the better, so I have to tell myself to let the music do the talking, and repetition is key. Also to meet the child where they are in that moment. I just read an article about being present, and being where your are “supposed” to be at any given time. Each child is where they are supposed to be at any given moment. The same goes for each member of the group, including myself. Staying in the present and taking each moment as it comes keeps the experience authentic and person centered. Having a structure is key, but as music therapists we know the more we plan, the less likely things will go as planned, but being well prepared allows for changes and transitions into unplanned experiences to happen seamlessly. Having 2 or 3 “backups” always at the ready has saved me in more than one instance!

Anonymous

Inactive

Ashely I really enjoyed reading your response and love that term “music the music.”

Elizabeth Schwartz

Keymaster

“Music the music.” Love that saying, Ashley! Can you share the name of the professor who said that so we can give credit to him or her? Thank you.

Vanessa Quirarte

Participant

Some of the strategies I can, and will use, for creating a successful experience would be to continually observe and asses individual a group needs. Like other participants stated, knowing families and each child/ parent is also important. knowing the families creates opportunities for bonding aand greater trust between therapist and family.
      Always keeping a clear line of communication with parents is also very important. .
      Another strategy is to create a fun, inviting, nonjudgmental and nonthreatning environment for a successful experience.

Viewing 19 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to content