Share Your Strategies

Home Forums Sprouting Melodies Training – January 2014 Week 9 Share Your Strategies

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author

Meredith Pizzi

Keymaster

Share some strategies you have used to assure every child in your groups is successful.

Cassandra Mulcahy

Participant

I feel that being aware of every child’s strengths and including these strengths in the group is vital to the success of each group. Being aware of various ways that children engage in music (through listening/watching/musicking etc.) and acknowledging their musical and non-musical needs in the moment is also important. Following the energy of the group, and/or altering it with musical elements (tempo, meter, dynamics, timbre) also help to engage and focus the group.

Dany Orozco

Participant

I agree with Cassandra and I think that it’s important to keep in mind that while having a plan is good, it’s always important to go with the flow of the group and make the adjustments we need to take the group where it needs to go that session. It’s important to recognize that children will participate in their own way and to let the parents know it’s okay if the child is only watching, or if he’s doing something else to participate as long as it’s not disruptive.

Elyse Suhay

Participant

I have to agree with Cassandra and Dany too. Flexibility and understanding the strengths and needs of your group is very important. Setting clear boundaries (no, you may NOT sword fight with the rhythm sticks) and generally being consistent helps children feel secure because they know basically what to expect.

Caroline Gillott

Participant

Have a plan in mind but always keep in mind the dynamic of the group. Use other children’s positive responses to redirect non-preferred responses. Use music that is suitable for all ages–stimulating and challenging enough for the older kids, but basic enough for the young ones. Communication with group members is key–explaining to families what you are doing and what you “expect” but assuring them if their child isn’t doing “just that” that it is ok (usually). Educate families on child development–what is to be expected at each age.

Meredith Pizzi

I completely agree with you all about being able to adapt and go with the flow, making changes based on the children in your group. That is why Beth and I say, we lead our groups, by the child, not by the book! That’s why we are very careful to make it clear that Sprouting Melodies doesn’t provide a curriculum. You are free to lead all of your groups based on the individual strengths, needs and skills of the children in the group.

Katie Maurer

Participant

Such great information here.

Caroline has a good point about communication – “Communication with group members is key–explaining to families what you are doing and what you “expect” but assuring them if their child isn’t doing “just that” that it is ok (usually).” When you have a group that includes caregivers or classroom teachers, it can be very helpful to make sure all the adults are on the same page.

One specific strategy I have used in a specific situation was about controlling what color of instruments were in the instrument box. I had a little one with autism in one of the classes during my internship and if objects of a certain 4 colors were in sight, he would insist on holding one of each color. When I knew I would be using those instruments with that class, I always made sure to take out those colored instruments. That way he could choose an instrument and not be distracted by the compulsion to hold the four specific colors. While it’s a small strategy, it was a way that we could increase his chances of being successful and engaged during the musical activity and not just distracted with the 4 objects in his hand.

Elizabeth Schwartz

Keymaster

Thanks for sharing all these ideas and strategies. I love Katie’s ‘small strategy’ because it is all these small details in observing and responding to the children that make us so unique and such a valuable asset to our communities.

Kate St. John

Participant

I don’t currently offer groups, but whether for my individual sessions or future group sessions and SM classes, I always set boundaries with families and children, I stay consistent and follow through. Staying organized is a big help too, such as arranging the room and instruments in a structured and organized way.

Jennifer DeBedout

Participant

It’s been said before during this course but I find our training as music therapists really helps us/me when working with groups. I feel I am constantly monitoring and assessing what is going on with the kids in my groups during our musical time together in order to adjust and structure for success. Setting the space is really important and having my materials right at hand and my plan well thought out are essential too. I had great music therapy intern supervisors when i did my internship in Leon County Schools, Tallahassee, FL, named Jane Hughes and Brenda Robbins (Brenda got married since and i think her last name is Rice now). Brenda and, especially, Jane taught us how to think through every step of a lesson with extra detail to opening an activity, transitions and ending an activity. This is where I learned to have a special sound hidden in my bag that quickly gathers attention or how to be very clear and concise about expectations before you move with kids or pass out instruments. I feel that the way I was taught has helped me think through every step of my interactions, group and individuals, to this day! Twenty years later. Brenda and Jane also taught me to model expected behavior and I see Beth and Meredith doing when they demonstrates songs for us, using their bodies, their eyes and their faces to show just how to engage in an activity. I try to use this approach when working with all kids, but little ones especially. One last strategy I’ll mention, that I see in this training, is mixing in fun and silly behavior with more slow and controlled behavior. I find when I let the little ones get out the sillies in an “ok” way and then modulate an activity into something more controlled or calm, it helps the kiddos regulate and settle in to what we are doing. That makes sense in my mind, I hope that translates though!

Nancy Bair

Participant

I agree with much of the above comments. For me, I think for every child to be successful, they have to feel wanted and accepted. They do not want to be singled out because they don’t feel like playing the maraca or whatever the instrument of choice is. I feel that music is one of the best ways to make children of different backgrounds come together. I would create and prepare prior to classes a “Plan b” and “plan c” and maybe even a “plan d” where I have activities, songs, or specific wordings that I can go to at any given moment to help the parents and children all have a successful experience. Flexibility and confidence in your preparations are the key.

Sarah jane Mason

Participant

I agree that you really need to understand each child in your group, where they’re level is, how far they have come, and where they’re going developmentally. Asking choices is a great way to bring them in, with my groups and with my toddler. Watching for eye contact and checking back in can show me they’re still being an active participant even though they’re aren’t being active at that moment. Often times the music can help bring them in, and let the parents know that it’s ok for them to be in the corner exploring for a while before coming back to the group focus. Say their name. Bring them in.

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to content