Share Your Thoughts

Home Forums Sprouting Melodies Training – June 2015 Week 8 Share Your Thoughts

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • Author

Meredith Pizzi

Keymaster

Share some thoughts about the challenges of providing multi-age groupings.

Corie Barkey

Participant

Providing multi-age range music therapy sessions may have many challenges but in the same respect just as many benefits. Finding a balance between not enough stimulation and too much would be a challenge. Having parents begin to compare their young child to a slightly older more independent child may be a challenge as well. Even though there are challenges I trust and believe every music therapist is up for these challenges. We are sensitive to the needs of each individual as well as the group as a whole which makes for a beneficial experience for all involved despite any age range. Benefits to having families together out way the challenges any day! Having a sibling bond forming with the support of music is magical and as a music therapist with the skills to facilitate that I am honored and privileged. CHALLENGE ACCEPTED!!!

Cynthia Cross

Participant

A big challenge would be to stay aware of the varying needs of the children in any particular group. I can see how the little ones might get overshadowed by the abilities and energy of the older kids. Keeping that balance seems important so all ages get to participate in an area of strength. To a lesser degree I think instrument selection and use could be a challenge – keeping instruments being used ‘safely’ around babies could be an issue with the excitement generated by an older sibling. As Corie mentioned I also think parental comparison might be a challenge that presents itself along with possibly more opportunity for parents to compare their children with others.

I think having a plan the allows for several different musical flows is paramount to being able to address these potential challenges. This is truly one of our strengths as Music Therapists! Not having to stick to a specific script but being able to adjust as the need arises should definitely assist in moderating any issues that arise.

Emily Baroody

Participant

I think one of the biggest challenged of a multi age group is finding the right energy to stimulate but not over stimulate each child. Some of the older children will crave more variation, more movement, more volume, but some of the younger children might still need more repetition, more consistency, and sometimes more soothing moments. This will require constant adjustment in the moment and a lot of practice to learn how to handle the room.

I think another challenge is working with siblings. If there is only one adult and two children with two different needs, that can be really challenging and also overwhelming for the parent. also sometimes there is jealousy among siblings, particularly with new siblings as they would tend to be at this age. As the group facilitator I think it would be our role to help that parent find a balance and model ways to promote family bonding so that the parents do not become overwhelmed.

Kristina Rio

Participant

Wonderful responses! Understanding the challenges and being sensitive to what parents may be feeling when comparing is so helpful when in the moment so you can articulate what you are doing and why, and how each caregiver can adjust to meet their child at the level they need. You can have caregivers modify how they and their child participate in an experience to make it more challenging and exciting for the older kids, but still have the structure and familiarity with the younger ones! But tell the caregivers what you are doing and why! They really want to know!

Mary Jane Dibble

Participant

I agree that it can be challenging to have a group with different ages, especially when trying to keep the older ones engaged while not scaring the younger ones with too many changes. One thing I really like about it though is that siblings have the opportunity to help each other and have a fun shared experience.

Molly Moses

Participant

It can be challenging to meet the needs of older children while still allowing the younger children to feel successful. I agree with Emily that it may be especially difficult to work with siblings who have different needs. I think it’s important to be interesting and stimulating enough to keep older children focused, but keep the nuances (dynamics, speed, intensity) accessible for younger children.

Laura Silvestain

Participant

The biggest challenge for a music therapy group with multiple developmental levels would be to find a way to make it effective for every participant. The parents are a great tool to use for adaptations pertaining to their own child. I think using songs that appeal to children of any level is a great way to start combating this challenge. Even if the words of the song may be over the head of a younger child, there is still some way for them to participate in the song. The older child will understand the words more and can also participate, even helping the younger ones along the way.

Mary Kerrigan

Participant

I agree with others who have posted that finding the balance is always a challenge and working with adults with developmental disabilities that is a regular challenge in the group setting even if they are of the same age, because their level of developmental stages may be different even though their ages are the same. This is a challenge I think many music therapists face on a regular basis and that is why we are trained so specifically and so much! I think the biggest challenge with providing multi-age groups is having the parents compare their child to others in the group. It is our job to highlight the great things their child is doing within the balance of a multi age group and encourage them that their child is okay and to have them continue to be open to their child bonding with others of different ages because much can be taught from that simple interaction especially for the older children to be able to encourage and “teach” the younger babies or children some of their musical skills and things they have learned. It can certainly be difficult to find that balance of enough stimulation or too much for the varying ages, but I think having an inclusive group like Family Sprouts is extremely beneficial for children to experience starting at such a young age and especially important for siblings when it comes to bonding and sharing happy and fun experiences.

Brianna McCulloch

Participant

I had a multi-age group, with the youngest 6 months and the oldest was 4.5. It was challenging! Most of the children were 2.5-3. I found that allowing the oldest children be “helpers” with the younger ones was really great–they could help a younger one play an instrument or even would look at and interact with a younger one during a song about animals (i.e., pointing to a cow and saying “moo” and showing it to the little ones). Additionally, guiding parents of younger children to use hand over hand and really support their younger babies and allow them to explore at their own pace. I really appreciate the notes in this video to be cautious of tempo/dynamic use so as not to overstimulate the younger babies. I found it was easy, especially during movement songs, for the younger ones to get overwhelmed. Using movement songs that allowed the older ones to stay seated was helpful in my group.

Mary Carter

Participant

I think the challenges of providing a music session for multiple age groups is similar to that of providing a music therapy session for a group of multiple developmental levels. I think my work in a school for kids with special needs has well prepared me for leading this kind of group. Sometimes I’d have 18 year olds with a typical developmental level but body restrictions along with 18 year olds at a 3 year old developmental level. I think your challenge as the group leader or the music therapist is to be aware that you are not overstimulating the younger (or more sensitive) ones while making it challenging enough for the older ones. I like to use the older ones as leaders or do more improvisation where the skills of each level can be displayed.

Anonymous

Inactive

I enjoyed reading all of your responses. I think you each identify some important considerations in running a multi-age group. Take some time to notate all of the helpful ideas and suggestions others recommended. They will be helpful for you when you are working with multi-age groups.

Melaine Pohlman

Participant

I think regardless of what population we’re working with, it is likely that if we’re running a group we’re faced with the challenges of multiple ages, abilities, needs and even musical preferences. When thinking of this early childhood setting, one of the biggest challenges is song choice and making sure that any and all, regardless of level can be successful in the group. We have to ask ourselves (before the group) “How can I increase the intensity, responsibility and creativity for an older child with this particular song? And how can I dial it back to meet the needs of a younger child as well?” We have to keep things interesting; move them along so as not to bore older siblings, yet offer enough repetition to reinforce the development taking place in those at a younger age group. It is also important to have consistency from week to week but also build on the expanding skills of all the children in the group. And finally, it is important to give the parents the opportunity to be the one to nurture the children in the musical experiences, but it is also important to give older children the chance to “nurture” their siblings. This offers an increased sense of responsibility and leadership on their part as well as lets the parent show pride in what their older children can do. It sure makes for wonderful sibling bonding moments as well!

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to content