Share Your Thoughts

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author

Meredith Pizzi

Keymaster

Share what you are most looking forward to as you become a Sprouting Melodies provider.

Lauren Klimek

Participant

I’m looking forward to applying the information and structure of the sprouting melodies program to my own group work and practice. I have been running groups for the past 5 or so years for children ranging in age from 2-18 but have never ran groups for infants and toddlers and I’m looking forward to expanding my practice to working with this age group and their caregivers. I feel more confident and knowledgeable in working in early childhood music therapy after taking this training and may consider becoming a provider in the future.

Megan Calabro

Participant

Hi, all

I think my answer is two-fold. On one hand, I’m excited about working with an age range that I’m passionate about. I’m also passionate about working with parents of young children, simply because there’s so much wonderful, awe-inspiring stuff that is happening during that time. And as a parent who had to go back to work when my children were very young, I also know how difficult it is for the parent who desperately wants that time to simply enjoy being mom or dad. I’m all about supporting that in my clinical work, and would welcome the opportunity to support families within my community. On the other hand, and this may be a slightly more selfish take on things (so please forgive!), I honestly don’t know what the status of my funding is at my current job. I’ve been a grant funded position for the past 11 years, and we’re still waiting to hear if they either (a) received funding for the next year, or (b) were able to roll me into the operating budget. I’ve been waiting on an answer since June, and we still don’t know… I keep thinking that it’s a good sign when I clock in and my badge works… Sad, but true. I also know that I both want and need the flexibility of being able to be present more to my own two kiddos. Don’t get me wrong; I love many aspects of my clinical work. But it’s also very challenging at times to come home after an exceptionally difficult day (such as when we lose a patient), and know that I have to be 100% on my game for my own two. My son (just shy of 8) has ADHD, so not being 100% is usually never an option. And in all honesty, if I’m meant to stay at the hospital, I think it would be a saving grace to have an opportunity to work with children who are not chronically ill. But if the door on my current job closes, I need something that I know I can confidently fall back on. This has really provided me with an opportunity to say that yes, private practice can be an option. Starting my own practice has always seemed a little overwhelming, but I honestly now feel that it’s something I don’t have to be afraid of.

Elizabeth Schwartz

Keymaster

Thank you so much for sharing your story, Megan. There are others in your group who have already made the leap into private practice, and I am sure that they will be there to support you.

Gina Greeson

Participant

I am excited and nervous at the same time. As much as I love working with older adults, it seems because of funding I am always stuck in a recreation department having less and less time for music therapy. I have learned so much from this course and feel much more comfortable at taking a leap and starting groups in the future. It has been quite a challenge finding work here in southern delaware. The only full time music therapy job is at a school and that job is taken. I am hopeful something will work out. I really enjoyed this course!

Joanna Calahan

Participant

At the moment I am still considering whether I am ready to jump in and become a provider. I know it would provide another avenue for music therapy opportunities, and I am excited for that, but at the same time I am nervous about branching out on my “own” in regards to marketing within my community. I know that I will use the information provided in this training regardless of my decision to become a provider or not. I guess I’m still kind of on the fence, and am not 100% sure I want to dive into private practice just yet.

Beth and Meredith-I did have a few questions for you as I listened to the conference call (I am sorry I missed it!):

1. Is there a time limit for how long our training lasts before we can’t become providers without having to take the course again?
      2. If I become a Sprouting Melodies provider, do we need to get our own liability insurance?
      3. If I become a provider do I have to start right away? Or can I join, then wait a few months to begin building my clientele?
      4. Do we have to do all the groups or can we provide just one or two of them until we have more clients built up? Do we have to provide a set amount of classes per quarter/term in order to continue to be a provider?
      5. Can we offer evening sessions as well as Saturday and day time sessions?
      6. Do you have any tips on how to discover our “fair market” rates for our areas? or is this something you would help us figure out when we get started as providers?

Thank you for your time! I thought the conference call was interesting, and I was able to get a few questions answered from it.

Dina Breaux

Participant

I think what I am most excited about when I think of becoming a Sprouting Melodies provider is having a strong support system as I ease my way back into a new music therapy practice. It’s been a few years since I have worked as a music therapist and feel “out of the loop” and a little nervous about jumping into my own business. The community support through Sprouting Melodies looks to be a great resource for information and encouragement so I plan to use it a great deal!

Of course, I am really looking forward to working with small children and their parents! My hope is that I will be able to successfully facilitate the bonding experience between parent and child using music in a joyful, fun and safe environment. It’s something I would have loved when I was a new mom because parenting was a sometimes overwhelming job and often times I wondered if I was doing it wrong. My experience as a mom, educator and therapist will hopefully allow me to share my knowledge of child development to new, inexperienced parents in the hopes of alleviating their concerns, and giving them the tools to identify and nurture their child’s developmental stages. Honestly, if I can help even one parent feel empowered and confident with their ability to parent, it will be an amazing and rewarding success!

Anonymous

Inactive

Wow, thank you for all of your submissions! I truly enjoyed reading each one and hearing your thoughts!

Joanna I can answer most of your questions here and I will pass on the others to Meredith and Beth.
      1. Meredith and Beth can best answer this question.

2. You will need your own Professional Liability Insurance and if you become a provider, you can set up a call with Meredith where she can tell you what you will need in the coverage for the Sprouting Melodies program.

3. You can absolutely sign up as a provider, with a contract, and start whenever you are ready. I personally signed up in June of 2013, had a baby in October 2013 and did not start offering classes until February of 2014. I spent that time preparing myself, setting up my private practice, and networking.

4 and 5. The great things about Sprouting Melodies is you run the program in the way that works for your practice. You can offer as many or as little classes on the days and times that work for you and your clients. Meredith has a list of suggested times that Roman Music Therapy has found works for different ages and nap schedules, but you can check in with your own families to determine this as well. In my practice, I only offer 1 Family Sprouts on Saturdays at 11:15am. I started by offering 2 classes a week and then built a 3rd before I got a new school contract and can only offer 1 class a week now. I also worked with my families to decide how many classes they wanted per session and when they wanted classes.

6. With regard to pricing, Meredith offers all of her providers the option to set up a call with her to discuss this and other information to help build and maintain their programs.

Dina the Sprouting Melodies community is a great support. We have a forum on this website for communicating, Christine Heaps a SM Provider in Arizona, sends out a weekly provider email, and we have monthly calls on different topics and discussions. You also have continued access to the materials from this training when you become a provider. I can also say you will get lots of support in starting a private practice.

For anyone considering creating a private practice, also, there is a FB page for Music Therapy Business Owners. The page is only open to therapists who are seriously considering going into private practice, are starting a practice, or already have their own practice. Meredith also provides business coaching and she has special packages for SM providers too.

Anonymous

Inactive

Joanna here is the answer to question 1:

We have not set a formal deadline. We have told folks that if it has been more than a year or two, we may have them retake the course in its entirety at a reduced fee as a refresher. If it is less than a year, they do not need to take the course.

Joanna Calahan

Participant

Erika, Beth, and Meredith,

Thank you for the answers!

Kristina Rio

Participant

Thank you for all of your reflections! I look forward to having some great new additions to our Sproutin Melodies Provider network!

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to content