Share your thoughts.

Home Forums Sprouting Melodies Training – January 2016 Week 7 Share your thoughts.

Viewing 19 reply threads
  • Author

Meredith Pizzi

Keymaster

Share your thoughts with the board on how much stimulation is enough? How much stimulation is too much?

Kelsy Gati

Participant

In this age group, as mentioned in the video, it is important to not overstimulate the kids by maintaining a presence and energy level that matches that of the children in the group. Babies of this age certainly want to have musical experiences that have energy, an element of predictable surprise, excitement and authenticity. Having a persona that is authentic and true excitement allows for the child to truly feel that the facilitator is sharing and enjoying the experience along with them and their caregivers. I think that overstimulation can also stem from instruments that have too strong, prominent or harsh of a sound (such as a tambourine). Certain sounds are loud and inconsistent without the strength or control that comes at an older developmental stage. It is also beneficial to use songs with simple, repetitive and predictable lyrics with a consistent structure. This level of consistency is important week to week to enhance stimulation and see how the child responds, learns, interacts in the music and changes from week to week.

Kristina Rowles

Participant

With this developmental level I think the stimulation level can vary a lot. While children in this age level are becoming comfortable with more stimulation, it can vary from child to child. As Kelsy mentioned above I think it is important to have a presence and energy level that matches the group. With the use of instruments you will be able to assess what is enough or what is too much for the group. I think it is important to begin introducing some of the new sounds that can be over stimulating but do it in a gradual manner. I think the most important part is knowing the group and what works for the group and assessing in the moment how much stimulation will work.

Stephanie Harris

Participant

I think that this would be an area where music therapist’s leading these types of early music groups is really beneficial. Our ability to gauge stimulation and adapt the session is part of our training and education. I think every child is different with what stimulates them and what will put them over the edge to overstimulation. I think gradually challenging a child with something that you know is stimulating is a positive experience for them. Some children may be overstimulated by all the different music and sounds, so keeping some predictability and repetition would provide a familiar safe spot to return to. Others may be more stimulated by what all the other children are playing and doing, so it would be important to help direct the parents how to interact with their child to prevent overstimulation.

Ann Marie Raddell

Participant

Part of the reason that I did not enjoy the music class that I took with my daughter is because I found it to be overly stimulating. As a music therapist, I observed that some of the children were leaving the circle just because it was too much for them to tolerate. I was able to tell the difference between times when the children were exploring the surrounding (age appropriate) vs. times when the music and process was too stimulating. There were not many songs to give a break from the energetic experiences. Music therapists are able to assess children in the moment and adapt to the needs of the group. If the dynamic may be a bit much, a quick adaptation from the original plan may be needed. I also believe that group numbers can play a role in overstimulation. Does Sprouting Melodies have a cut-off to how many children are in each group? In the beginning of starting these groups, there were times when there were just too many children/caregivers in one of my groups, so I have talked to my agency to set a limit, which has significantly helped.

Laetitia Brundage

Participant

The size of a group can absolutely effect the stimulation level!! Thanks for bringing that up Ann Marie! I’ve had experiences when I’ve felt overstimulated by the amount of people in the room,let alone any additional activities. If I am overstimulated, I know these little ones are feeling it too. I will say that every kid is different, and matching one personality may not be matching another, so, I think keeping the overall shape of the session in mind is key to help with limiting stimulation to an appropriate level. Starting off with some “low-key enthusiasm” and allowing for instrument exploration gives the kids a few minutes to both acclimate to the space and let you know where they are that day. As always, flexibility is of the utmost importance! We music therapists can have a plan in mind, but are prepared to throw it out the window if proven necessary.

Tracy Wanamaker

Participant

This is a tough question because as many of you have already mentioned it really depends on the group! A smaller group of older children may need much more stimulation than a large group of younger children (where even I can get overwhelmed by all the movement!). I always start off low-key, then assess the energy needs of the group and match it. With this age group though, I always try to keep my voice soft and soothing, but put energy in it as needed. As Laetitia described – it’s “low-key” enthusiasm. Stimulation should be comfortable but encouraging so that you don’t overwhelm these little ones. To me, the perfect amount of stimulation is when the kids are engaged and feel comfortable interacting with the music and the instruments, but not so much that they start to appear overwhelmed and nervous by the activity in the room.

Noelle Larson

Participant

I think a great phrase from the video to summarize children in this developmental level is that they tend to love “predictable surprises”–experiences that invite their engagement, allow them to influence the next move, or use a different timbre or articulation, but that also happen in a predictable, familiar time and way. When I think of sensory stimulation being done well, I hear peels of baby laughter and see broad grins at the anticipation and fulfillment of the surprise. As Ann Marie described, children often let us know that they are overstimulated by their movements away from the group or source of energy. As music therapists, we can gauge where our clients and families are on the stimulation spectrum and offer a change in pace, dynamic, intensity, and energy before clients reach the point of overstimulation (from which is can be so difficult to return). When working with clients of any age level, I think it is very helpful to gain a general sense of the sensory stimulation needs of my different clients, and think in advance about ways that I can help meet those needs and provide opportunities for everyone to be successful. In life, I know that my husband is a social introvert and that in large group settings, he may need to take a break or a walk for a few minutes to “recharge;” it isn’t personal, in fact it’s really positive when he self-regulates like that. Similarly, it isn’t a personal statement against us as music therapists if a particular client is overstimulated by an activity that we thought he/she would enjoy; we take note and adapt our interventions to meet the needs we’re seeing in the moment. Other clients will crave much more sensory stimulation, especially in a group with a possibly developmental span like SM3; finding the balance is what makes our job so rewarding!

I love what Kelsy said about how authentic energy helps our clients feel that we are truly sharing and enjoying in the experience with them. Kids and their caregivers can “smell a phony” a mile away, but the rewards of being honestly and authentically present are rich for both therapist and client.

Kristina Rio

Participant

Ann Marie, at our center in Melrose where we offer Sprouting Melodies we cap the classes at 12 kids. We typically get one adult per child on top of that. It has been a comfortable group size that I find works well.

Wonderful reflections on this everyone! I enjoyed reading your responses. It definitely makes you realize how important our training is for working with young children and families.

Kristen McSorley

Participant

I love what Kelsy said about authenticity. Little ones seem to have a truth radar and can easily tell whenever you’re not being genuine, which can contribute to over-stimulation. Proximity may also over-stimulate a child, especially as they’re first getting to know you. It’s important to give them enough space so that they feel safe. I would say the most important thing this course has taught me is the value of silence. I used to feel that I needed to always fill space between songs quickly. I started giving more space which not only prevents over-stimulation, but also helps me to slow down and process as well. Recently, a parent recorded me during a session and I watched the play-back with them. They happened to capture one of the moments where I left some space between songs to allow myself to think. To me, that space felt like thirty seconds. It was only five! It’s important to be aware that the real world is sometimes moving slower than your mind, and no one will feel awkward if you take a pause.

Katy Hutchings

Participant

I definitely agree with Noelle about the “predictable surprises.” Music should be stimulating but it also should be a container where the children feel comfortable to explore and express themselves. The container helps to assure the children that they are safe and are with people who love them. Predictable surprises allow for stimulation but in a gentle way so the child can enjoy the moment, not fear it. I agree that bigger classes often are the cause of overstimulation. It’s also very valuable to include softer, more calming, gentle music interspersed within the session to give break to those who need it.

Ann Marie Raddell

Participant

Thank you, Kristina. 12 is what I chose as well. I agree. I was comfortable with no more than that.

Sarah Szymanowski

Participant

I agree that music therapists could be more sensitive to the signs of overstimulation. I think Meredith & Beth made a good point in the presentation to vary the degrees of energy throughout the session. We’ve all observed that overstimulation can be FUN (think of when you were a kid and could whip a sibling into a frenzy — so much fun until the tears!), so it’s our responsibility to go with the energy and but then reign it in.

I think others have made good points about being genuine. Stimulation coming from a true place of engagement and fun is the most effective for the kids and most sustainable for the therapist!

Anonymous

Inactive

I echo Kristina that you all have wonderful responses. I can also share that I limit my Sprouting Melodies classes to 8 families and typically will have 9 children total. My space fits 8 families with most Moms&Dads present. One of the wonderful things about Sprouting Melodies is you can run the program the way it works for you, your families, and the spaces you work in.

Ashley Carroll

Participant

This is a tough question to answer, as per most things in music therapy, it depends on the children in the group. That being said, there are some general rules that I like to keep in mind, even before introducing musical stimulus into an environment. It is important to take inventory of the environmental stimulus within the space where the group will be held. If the space has a lot of visual stimulus (toys, books, bright colors, etc) that has to be taken into consideration and maybe covered if possible. When I have done groups with children in the play room at a hospital, part of the set up before group was covering the shelves and toys with sheets to cut distraction. The right amount of stimulation allows and encourages a child to participate in and explore within the space. As music therapists we are able to read when there is too much stimulus in the room for our group. Did we add too many musical changes or surprises for which the group wasn’t ready? Is it the timbre or volume of our voice? We can spot overstimulation in the reactions of the children: Are they covering their ears? Crying/fussing? and/or leaving the group? An example of too much stimulation may be within a instrument playing song, everyone has different instruments, and then the music therapist and a lot of change of vocal timbre and surprises that may not be able to be anticipated by children (maybe in the context of introducing a new song).

Anonymous

Inactive

Ashley brings up an excellent point about the stimuli in the environment. I have a handful of covers and I utilize desks in the room to block and cover several bookshelves and a desk in the space I use. This has helped the children to be less distracted and I find they are more interested in staying within the group circle area.

Tiffany Lee

Participant

This is where our training at MT-BC’s comes in! This will not only range by group based on size, age, special needs, and individual developmental stages/ personalities, but the range of energy and stimulation with also fluctuate during each individual session. I’ve seen children overstimulated, covering their ears, crying, startling easily, and clinging to parents or hiding. In cases like these, we need to tune it way back and create a safe and trusting environment for our families. I’ve had experiences where it is actually the caregiver that is overstimulating/ over pressuring the child without knowing it and needed some direction and encouragement. Like mentioned in the video, if most of the kids are doing their own thing, running into walls, and de-centralized, we need to turn the stimulation and energy back up to grab their attention and regroup.

Jennifer Whitlow

Participant

This is a tough question. As music therapists I think we are trained to meet clients where they are. In groups settings, this can be challenging if group members are in different places. As a whole, I think it is important to be aware of what the individual needs are, but also what the group needs are. Being able to adjust interventions, change the order of interventions, and being flexible in the moment is crucial in early childhood classes. It is important to be aware of signs of overstimulation (i.e crying, covering ears, startling, etc.) and being able to make necessary changes. Also if the children are under stimulated (i.e withdrawn, easily distracted, or uninterested) being able to crank it up a notch. I think this is a big thing that sets us apart from other professionals

Belinda Adams

Participant

I find this to be an interesting dynamic for children of all ages and families for that matter. I have struggled to find a space that will not be overstimulating for children and I’ve had varying degrees of success. Currently for an older group of kiddos I am working in a gym space. This would be overstimulating for Sprouting Melodies 2 because of the constant reverberation of every sound especially depending on the instrument choices. In addition, a lot of different instruments playing together may create too much stimulus for the children.

Vanessa Quirarte

Participant

Therapist, parents, and children a like need time to process. Varying energy during a session is necessary to keep children engaged and silence is good for response time. Our clinical experience of observation will aid us in knowing when individuals are getting overstimulation and bring down the energy and change timbre. The group dynamic may also effect the level of energy and the need for flexibility through out the session. Keeping predictability and repetition helps the child feel secure and engaged.
      In my one and one sessions, when a client seems to be having a difficult time, I scale back the energy and move on to familiarity to bring them back in to the moment.

Viewing 19 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to content