Share Your Thoughts

Home Forums Sprouting Melodies Training – January 2016 Week 9 Share Your Thoughts

Viewing 18 reply threads
  • Author

Meredith Pizzi

Keymaster

Share what you are most looking forward to as you become a Sprouting Melodies provider.

Kelsy Gati

Participant

I am most looking forward to fostering and exploring social connectedness in these very different early childhood settings! Each developmental level is so unique and warrants distinctive activities and experiences to enhance those differences. I am also looking forward to encouraging children and parents to feel safe in the knowledge that each child is different and those differences are to be embraced and celebrated! Creating a fre expressive environment for self exploration and social development will be so exciting and rewarding!

I am also curious to have a greater understanding of hosting early childhood groups that are not specifically “music therapy groups”. It is my thought that facilitating in a less goal oriented way will create new types of professional opportunities and learning experiences.

I am also, of course, looking forward to exploring the different music experiences we learned over these past weeks!!

Katy Hutchings

Participant

I love the idea of being my own boss and creating my own programming someday. I love my current job and the stability of being at an institution where I am not in charge, but eventually I would like the change to create my own job. I see a great need in my community for programming like this and I think it would be very successful in my area.

I also really want to expand my support community as an early childhood music therapist and I can’t wait to be able to communicate about strategies and songs with other like-minded music therapists!

Kristina Rowles

Participant

I am looking forward to putting into action all of the techniques we learn. I personally learn best by doing things, and I am exciting to start putting these techniques into action and learning in the moment. I am also excited to work with young children, specifically birth – 18 months in a group setting. Currently I work with young children 1:1 and I am looking forward to seeing the positive outcomes of a group. Overall I am enthusiastic about using all this knowledge and new songs and activities in a group setting.

Ann Marie Raddell

Participant

Sprouting Melodies has wonderful networking connections, and I love the idea of having a support network of those in the same practice. I see the value in being able to share ideas, strategies, music and songs, and problem-solving skills. While I definitely plan to incorporate meaningful aspects from this class in my own early childhood music therapy work, at this time, I do not intend on becoming a Sprouting Melodies provider, but will happily refer others to this course.

Belinda Adams

Participant

I am looking forward to informing families about early childhood development. I’m also eager to provide music therapy services in this area and actually call it that — providing an education to the community. I am super excited to share what I have learned, meet new people and all.

I’m not 100% sure if I want to become a Sprouting Melodies provider, but I certainly do want to incorporate everything I’ve learned into the current classes that I provide.

Kristen McSorley

Participant

I am excited to create an environment focusing on nurturing natural development and celebrating the uniqueness of each child’s musical response. While I wouldn’t say my primary philosophy is behavioral, some of the settings I work in mandate a behavioral lens. I am excited to work in a setting where the primary motivator for attending groups will be – ‘fun!’

I also look forward to educating families about music therapy and how music aids development. I am leaving this course with newfound confidence in my own knowledge.

Laetitia Brundage

Participant

Creativity, Originality and Knowledge! I have been teaching early childhood music classes using a program with predetermined music for quite some time and it is, for lack of a better term, BORING. I am so excited to use my own music as well as some great tunes I’ve learned here. I feel re-inspired by this program and I look forward to utilizing my skills as a clinician and musician in future settings.

Anonymous

Inactive

I am so glad you have each found value in the training and things you can take back to your work. For those who are planning to become providers I am excited to have you join our network bring the program to your community.

Noelle Larson

Participant

I would like to echo what Katy said and agree that I really look forward to the idea of being my own boss someday and using my skills to meet a need in my community. I am very confident that parents and families that I know through my substitute teaching work would be very interested in developmentally-minded, music therapy based programming like Sprouting Melodies. It’s hard to say right at this moment if I will go the route of becoming a Sprouting Melodies provider or if, like others, I will glean the developmental concepts and theories and incorporate them organically into my work. My husband and I welcomed home our little baby girl last Tuesday, so details about my working in the near future are still a little undecided! However, 0-5 years is my favorite age window to work with, and I delight to see how music making helps these children to come alive and be their best self; I am sure that work in this population will be in my future, whether near or far.

Tiffany Lee

Participant

I am so excited about the opportunities that are ahead! I have wanted to do something like this for a long time. I am most excited to meet a HUGE need in my growing community of young families where there are very little resources for this population. I think this has the potential to benefit so many families and at the same time can be a platform to educate about music therapy services. It could be the perfect bridge. Have a 1 year old, 2 year old, and a baby coming in July, I can see this becoming a very rewarding part of my profession in the future as well as let me still be a mommy my own. I am very grateful for all the knowledge the past 10 weeks has imparted. I have already implemented some of these strategies into my own practice and supervision of music therapy students working in early childhood ed. It’s been wonderful!

Ann Marie Raddell

Participant

Congratulations, Noelle!

Sarah Szymanowski

Participant

I am so excited to continue to expand my work with ages 0-5. This training was absolute perfect timing for me, as I stepped out of adult/adolescent psych in January and began to expand my work with children. The review in the beginning on development was invaluable to me. I have already added a rich variety of song repertoire from the Sprouting Melodies program into my music therapy work and in my informal group with my son and his contemporaries. I still remain nervous about starting out on my own, but I now feel that I have the resources and tools to do so when I feel the time is right.

Kristina Rio

Participant

It has been so great getting to know all of you! I echo Erika when I say that I am glad you all found value in this course and will incorporate your new knowledge into your current or future work! I am looking forward to having some new amazing music therapists sign on as Sprouting Melodies Providers!

Jennifer Whitlow

Participant

I am really looking forward to providing a safe supportive environment for families. As a new mom, I feel like resources can sometimes be hard to come by. I am also very excited to be expanding my private practice in terms of population. I feel like this will raise more awareness in the community about music therapy and open up more opportunities for my growing private practice. I have really enjoyed this class and the resources it has provide in terms of early childhood develop and the interventions and songs I have learned.

Stephanie Harris

Participant

I’m looking forward to using all this new (and relearned) knowledge to finally start some groups we’ve been wanting to do for a long time. I’ve spent a lot of time reviewing different structures for all different types of groups scenarios and I feel that the SM structure and format would be successful in our situation.

I look forward to providing services to a new group of clientele in our area and a group that has been eager to get services for a significant period of time. I also look forward to diversifying our practice and providing new opportunities for our music therapists!

Tracy Wanamaker

Participant

Honestly – I’m simply looking forward to the possibility of working with young children again (it’s been almost 20 years since I worked with preschoolers routinely in a group setting!) and sharing with them and their parents all the wonderful things I learned in this course. I really look forward to applying and sharing the things that I have learned (especially all of the new music!) with groups in the future!

Ashley Carroll

Participant

I am most looking forward to providing quality early childhood music programming to my community. Sharing my passion and expertise as a musician and music therapist with families both within and outside of the military community that I now am a part of as a military spouse. Being able to provide Sprouting Melodies classes to this population will bring something new and different that the families may have never gotten the opportunity to take part in before. Throughout this course and my short time as a military spouse I have found myself very passionate about the military community and more specifically the family unit. Becoming a Sprouting Melodies provider is my jumping off point for providing music therapy services to this underserved population.

Vanessa Quirarte

Participant

I am looking forward to offering a new program in my community that has been missing. I have been working with primarily adults with ID/DD and have seen the services and programs available to them. It is time to offer similar opportunities to our younger populations. I am exited to put my new found knowledge into play and share these wonderful ideas and strategies with my community. I think it will also be a great opportunity to promote and make the community aware of music therapy as a whole. Most of the participants will be young families, and this will be information and experiences that they will carry and share for the rest of their lives. What better way to share and grow the knowledge of music therapy.

Viewing 18 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to content