Share Your Thoughts

Home Forums Sprouting Melodies Training – June 2016 Week 9 Share Your Thoughts

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • Author

Meredith Pizzi

Keymaster

Share what you are most looking forward to as you become a Sprouting Melodies provider.

Rachel Lighty

Participant

I am looking forward to being able to provide more opportunities for young families to connect and grow together within the family, as well as connecting families with each other to be a support for each other. There is a lack of groups that achieve and work towards these types of goals and it will be great to use this knowledge to help families and the community in this way with our specific set of skills as music therapists.

Beth McLaughlin

Participant

I’ve learned so much from the course. Much of what has been presented in terms of music, structure, behavior management etc. has provided strong validation for the work I have done during my career providing music therapy for young children with ASD. What I’m looking forward to the most as I move forward is:

Providing music activities with a better and more informed understanding of the value and importance of how these experiences are supporting child development.

Engaging parents and caregivers so that they can experience the full joy of music making with their children

Having greater insight into why some music interventions/activities are NOT appropriate or do not fully support children at certain stages of development.

Making music with babies and toddlers.

NOT doing IEPs!

Tracy Schoenberg

Participant

:)- I agree with Beth on not doing IEPs- that is so much paperwork.. I look forward to working with children while also supporting and engaging the parents. I like the way this music therapy program is set up to give us ideas of appropriate experiences for children/caregivers at certain developmental levels and how music can support child development.. I also agree with Rachel that this class can help parents and caregivers with little babies and kids connect with each other. Certain music activities and interventions are a great way to help with all children with developmental goals in a joyful way. Anyways, quite a few moms in my meetup group expressed interest in coming to a class like this so I’m excited to experiment on my mom friends.

Alice Sorensen

Participant

I’m most looking forward to being able to provide this in the community, as there’s a real need for it and I’m excited for it to enhance the community and the needs of parents. I’m also looking forward to regularly working with kids, and regularly doing music therapy again as right now I’m mostly consumed with my duties as a church music director!

Jessica Triana

Participant

I appreciate family-centered work and I think that Sprouting Melodies offers providers a unique way to support and empower the adult family members. I value the ability of the program to foster bonding between multiple relationships in the family. What is most unique about Sprouting Melodies to my current work is the support that families can receive from their community. As others have mentioned, there are opportunities for exchanges and connections between families, which can last long after the groups have ended.

Flora Whitmore

Participant

I’m really looking forward to getting to know my community! I don’t actually work very often directly in the area that I live in/ where we will be offering SM1. I have had some initial contact with some parents and they are so enthusiastic and excited. My school based work is with much older kids. I am excited to expand my skill set and practice new songs. New repertoire is always a plus. I am looking forward to trying the songs out with real live babies and toddlers!

Cassandra Reyna

Participant

I am most looking forward to offering opportunities for families to experience music as FUN and something to do TOGETHER! From my own experiences in childhood, I understand that many non-musician parents see music as something that is off-limits to them. I have also never, not once, been in a room with both children and instruments and not had the children simply dying to get their hands on the instrument, whatever it may be. I am so excited to provide opportunities for children (and their parents!) to have time to explore music without a “right” and “wrong.” I am excited for an environment where “that’s not how you play that” isn’t in the vocabulary.

Marchele Gilman

Participant

I am looking forward to support. I am the only music therapist around my area and it would be nice to talk with other music therapists. I am also looking forward to all that I will learn as I provide music services for this population.

RaeAnna Zinniel

Participant

If I become a provider I am looking forward to one working with families with young children and making music but also the exposure that it would give to music therapy. My area has little to no exposure to music therapy so this would be a great way to show it to the community.

Anonymous

Inactive

I am looking forward to having many of you join us in becoming providers. I am so glad you see how you will be a great asset to your community and that you will be brining this to the families.

Gwendolyn Van Baalen

Participant

I’m looking forward to engaging with families in a group and the opportunities for growth and exploration that this setting affords, both for myself and for clients.

Alison Albino

Participant

I am so looking forward to just being around so many little ones and having fun with them and their families! Sprouting Melodies is such a blast and there are days full of laughter and joy, I just can’t wait to be able to provide that for families. I’m also looking forward to educating families about developmental stages.

Elizabeth Ferguson

Participant

I have already been providing early childhood music classes in my community through my private practice. I love offering these classes that are so different from my music therapy groups. It has allowed me to continue to serve the wider community. The reason I took the Sprouting Melodies course was to be able to offer a nationally recognized brand of music classes. Running my practice, I have learned the value of marketing!

Ayelet Weiss

Participant

This course has been so helpful for me in revisiting early childhood development and appropriate musical activities and goals. As others said, I think it is so great to be able to provide a community based program where parents are supported by a professional and also get a chance to meet and support/be supported by their peers. I am looking forward to taking the next step in getting back into Music Therapy (meaningful work!) and having the opportunity to work and also be there for my own child.

Anonymous

Inactive

So glad that has been helpful and meaningful to your work Ayelet!

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to content