Share Your Thoughts.

Home Forums Sprouting Melodies Training – April 2017 Week 8 Share Your Thoughts.

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • Author

Meredith Pizzi

Keymaster

Share some thoughts about the challenges of providing multi-age groupings.

Alison Barrington

Participant

I think the key challenge might be that the more active children will naturally receive most attention (from carers as well as the therapists). As such the quieter, smaller children may not have so much focus. It will be important to try to focus on all aspects of what is happening in the room so that the music and activities can become multi-layered. Perhaps one aspect that has struck me whilst watching the SM videos is that the musical stimulation grows as the children get older and that multi-age groupings might be too overwhelming for the younger participants. However, you don’t want the older ones to get bored. I particularly liked the idea of ‘controlling’ the way the stimulation is provided. So, for example, it might be possible to get faster in a song which will keep the attention of the older ones BUT at the same time not getting louder which might startle the younger participants. It’s so easy to get louder when we get faster!
      I look forward to seeing other ideas from other people’s postings.

Elana Dietz-Weinstein

Participant

The challenges of multi-age groupings include incorporating all different ages and functioning levels, however I believe that the beauty of many of the songs is that they are able to address so many different needs of the group participants simultaneously. Of course we would need to be mindful of the energy level and make sure that the little ones are not startled by music that would be more specifically tailored for the older children. However, most of the songs can speak to children on various developmental levels – whether it be developing cognitive, emotional, social, physical and language skills, or just heightening the awareness of a young infant, or anything in between. Also, there are other ways to incorporate and provide opportunities for the older children, by modeling, being “helpers,” generating ideas for the songs, etc.

Carolyn Keenan

Participant

It is definitely a challenge to be ready for any age to come in, so our job is to really prepare ourselves to be flexible with our song choices and adapt them to meet the needs of the various developmental levels. It seems like it can be difficult to keep it appropriate AND exciting for the various ages. I really like the Elana’s suggestions for providing opportunities for older children to model and help. Alison, I can see what you’re saying about how the focus can be shifted because of the varying energy levels….that is a good thing to be aware of.

Anonymous

Inactive

Thank you all for your wonderful thoughts and submissions!

Claudia Eliaza

Participant

Some challenges for multi-age groups would include maintaining the attention spans and focus of all the group members as they may be at different developmental stages. The good news is there is not just one way to use a song in a session/class. As we’ve learned throughout this course, there are a number of way to develop music, making it age appropriate for those in attendance. This requires that the therapist be flexible and able to adapt. As Elizabeth and Elana pointed out, we could find ways to have the older children model, select songs and help out their peers.

Laura Pruett

Participant

I echo what has already been said in the video and in the above responses. I imagine it would be tricky to provide music that will maintain the older kids’ attention and interest while not overstimulating the younger kids. I appreciate Alison’s reminder that it IS so easy to get louder when we get faster! But keeping it quiet can maybe help the older kids attend a little better? Like you’re whispering a secret to them or something? Maybe that would be too quiet, though. I also wonder if it is challenging to find ways for the parent or caregiver to bond with more than one child in the session. From the examples given in the video, it seems like the groups can be structured to support bonding between the siblings and parents. I guess I’m curious to know if siblings get jealous of each other for their caregiver’s attention during these groups. But again, as has been pointed out, sibling fights can hopefully be avoided by having the older child model for the younger child, show off/perform during songs, help out the younger children, etc.

I agree with what has already been said. My main takeaways from the video were as follows– I think there is a challenge of not overstimulating the young children while keeping the older children engaged and keeping talking to a minimum so that one child doesn’t dominate the session. Providing the older children opportunities to make choices and be leaders while keeping everyone in the session comfortable and changing the lyrics or the movements to engage the older children while still supporting the younger children with the repetition of the musical material.

Jen Hinton

Participant

I feel like I need to respond first as a Mom! 🙂 I have two kids and would likely be the one to take them to a program like this. It is a challenge to engage them both. Just two siblings can be challenging to me as a Mom. Having multiple ages, sibling groupings, and caregivers who (I’m projecting) may be feeling stressed adds up to a lot of different needs you are juggling. I appreciated everyone’s thoughts about ways to be sensitive to these dynamics and think that the word “accepting” is important to apply to this group as well- to support the caregivers in the midst of a variety of natural developmental behaviors.

I have not yet facilitated a session like this. However, working primarily with older adults diagnosed with varying levels of dementia I am familiar with the way that music can support and engage people at varying levels simultaneously. Some residents were restless and moving while others responded primarily through increased awareness to environment (ie. eye contact, tracking.) Over-stimulation could be an issue in this type of group but I think that as MT-BCs we do read and respond to our group well. Music gives us that ability to non-verbally respond and reign the group in or bring the energy level up as needed. I worked primarily using the piano when working with older adults so it is fascinating to see how the use of vocal timbre, rhythm, and use of structure (repetition and changes) can be so effective. I think I am still a little afraid of how to really effectively use music to be my co-therapist without the accompanying instruments I really rely on. BUT, I think in this setting having the mobility and ability to use our body is so important that maybe that becomes the accompanying instrument through body percussion and visual cues. I am excited for the challenge and look forward to being able to provide sessions like these for families.

Anonymous

Inactive

Hi Laura, sibling rivalry and jealousy is a definite event in classes. I can say I saw it fairly frequently. So, I don’t think there is one right answer as all children respond to different thing.

One thing I encourage parents to do is to validate their child’s feelings and to find ways for me to engage one of the siblings to be my helper and of course to give the other the opportunity too. Depending on the age of the children I may also engage them in telling me how we could sing the next verse differently, e.g. “Johnny should we go fast or slow the next time we sing?” If one of the children is willing to sit in my lap I offer that as well.

I did have one family where Mom was truly unable to set the appropriate boundaries with her children, even with my support and her children became a danger to other children in the group. Mom was very receptive to working things out as she could see her children were not benefiting and it was taking away from the other children. After talking with her it turned out there were marital problems at home and the children never got alone time with Mom. So, we worked it out that Mom brought each child separate, rotating every week between the two, and this was each child’s special time with Mom. It turned out that this was the right decision as each child’s behavior dramatically changed the very first week we put this into place and Mom reported back the children were talking about how much they enjoyed their “special time” with her in class. I think this is where our clinical skills as a music therapist are very useful.

Mabel Ortiz

Participant

I would think, as stated before, one of the challenges would be to be conscientious of the developmental ages of the participants, and making sure that I provide opportunities for engagement for all age groups.

Laura Pruett

Participant

Jen – I appreciate your Mom perspective, as I don’t have kids and only know what it’s like to be a parent from what people tell me. It is such a good reminder to be as accepting as possible.

Erika – thank you so much for sharing that experience! That is so beautiful to read that Mom was so trusting of you that she could share something as personal as marital troubles with you. I really admire the rapport you developed with her. And the solution you 2 came up with is so creative and perfect – to rotate weeks with her kids! Did her payments change at all, since only one kids was coming at a time?

Anonymous

Inactive

Hi Laura,

I applied her payment as one child coming per week instead of two and kept the sibling discount I offered. Ethically I felt that this is what the family needed so I did not want to benefit from it financially by continuing to charge as if two children were coming at the same time. It also opened up a space for a new family to join since I capped my classes at 8 families so it was a great decisions all around. I capped my classes due to the needs I saw in my families and the size of the space I was in. If and when you become a provider you can cap at a number that works for you, your families and your space. One of the great things about this program is you have the flexibility to run it in a way that works for you and your business 🙂

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to content