Share Your Thoughts

Home Forums Sprouting Melodies Training – April 2014 Week 8 Share Your Thoughts

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • Author

Meredith Pizzi

Keymaster

Share some thoughts about the challenges of providing multi-age groupings.

Barb Blackburn

Participant

I think the biggest challenge that I’ve been thinking about is that when we begin to offer Sprouting Melodies at our facility, what if there are only 2 or three families and we have a newborn, a 2 year old, and a five year old? Or what if it’s just a newborn and a 5 year old?! That is such a big age gap! If the group is bigger and we have a variety of ages, I think that wouldn’t be as intimidating or difficult. But, if I show up to teach a Family Sprouts Class and there is only 2 families with extremely opposite age children, how do you keep them both entertained? My first thought was to possibly gear the class more toward the older child and the parents can modify the instrument playing and moving with the younger child by helping them to hold on or move around. Or do more bonding songs, or songs where the older child can help their younger sibling (if the two children are related, and not from separate families attending the class).

Kristina Rio

Participant

Barb, those are all great strategies! It can be intimidating at first, but I can tell that you would know what to do if you were running a group like this. It’s all about trusting our skills, and being able to direct a caregiver when modifying. Remember you are the expert, so talk about how the developmental levels are different, and why you are modifying it for the younger child. The more information you can provide, the more comfortable you will feel with what you are doing, and the more informed the families will be!

Kristen Crouch

Participant

My biggest concern would be for the newborns who are sensitive to loud noises and over-stimulation. I’m sure newborns who have older siblings are somewhat used to the noise and chaos of older kids running around, but a newborn that is a first child may be sensitive. I think a music group would be a good way to introduce that newborn to different sounds and stimulation, if done carefully. I guess I tend to be overprotective of the littlest ones. I just think about how to have lots of energy and excitement for the older ones without startling the younger ones; how to offer lots of different instruments that may be loud without startling or overwhelming the newborns.

Also offering lots of repetition is important for the little ones where as the older ones need variety. I guess doing the same song but changing up the lyrics or movements or instruments could offer both.

Lauren Roberts

Participant

I imagine facing two primary challenges when conducting multi-age Family Sprouts groups. The first would be to maintain the appropriate level of energy and stimulation. Older children need a higher energy level, which may be too stimulating and startle younger children. Younger children need a lower energy level, which may lead to older children losing interest and wandering from the group. Second, I could see it being difficult planning sessions if there is a significantly greater number of one age level in the group. For example, if there were 4-5 older children and only 1-2 younger. I assume planning would lean more toward the majority, yet still not to the exclusion of the others. This leads me to another question though: is there a minimum number of children/families to register for a Sprouting Melodies class for it to take place?

Kristina Rio

Participant

Hi Lauren,

I have run SM groups with just two children in it. It really depends on what limits you want to set, but this is a great question to bring up when we have a conference call at the end of the training.

Lauren Caso

Participant

I think the most challenging aspect of an all-inclusive group would be having various age and ability levels within the same group, especially if there are children with special needs or handicaps attending the same session. It is important to have some adaptive gear for those having physical handicaps; such as a Velcro attachment for a mallet, or a big switch to record “hello” or the child’s name, etc. I think it is important to present modifications to the adults to help engage the children appropriately in each activity. Speaking briefly and concisely, as not to lose momentum or stop the music too often, is also important, presenting a unique challenge!
      I think presenting some activities geared towards each level appropriately is challenging but integral. Perhaps using rhetorical questions to the older kids such as “should we do it like ‘this’ now for our smaller friends”? Perhaps ask the older kids to be helpers or leaders during that particular activity. Or maybe ask if they remember when they were little and moved a certain way, and then showcase their level on the next “version” of the activity.
      The bottom line is also that every adult is paying for services for their child, and it is thus important for us to provide the appropriate service for everyone in the group, or recommend an appropriate subgroup for the child to participate in to maximize their experience.

Lauren Caso

Participant

I think the most challenging aspect of an all-inclusive group would be having various age and ability levels within the same group, especially if there are children with special needs or handicaps attending the same session. It is important to have some adaptive gear for those having physical handicaps; such as a Velcro attachment for a mallet, or a big switch to record “hello” or the child’s name, etc. I think it is important to present modifications to the adults to help engage the children appropriately in each activity. Speaking briefly and concisely, as not to lose momentum or stop the music too often, is also important, presenting a unique challenge!
      I think presenting some activities geared towards each level appropriately is challenging but integral. Perhaps using rhetorical questions to the older kids such as “should we do it like ‘this’ now for our smaller friends”? Perhaps ask the older kids to be helpers or leaders during that particular activity. Or maybe ask if they remember when they were little and moved a certain way, and then showcase their level on the next “version” of the activity.
      The bottom line is also that every adult is paying for services for their child, and it is thus important for us to provide the appropriate service for everyone in the group, or recommend an appropriate subgroup for the child to participate in to maximize their experience.

Meredith Pizzi

Thanks for you thoughts here, ladies. Yes, it is difficult to bridge a wide gap of ages in the class, but like Kristina said, if you take the opportunity to educate the parents about the modifications you make and why, they will be better informed and see that everyone is getting what they need. The challenge in Family Sprouts is exactly why I DON’T recommend starting with a Family Sprouts Class. I recommend starting with a SM2 and SM3 class. Then you can really demonstrate what SM classes are capable of providing on a developmental level. When there are sibling pairs, there is a lot you can do to engage families and benefit all of the ages.
      About minimum class numbers, it becomes an economic decision and one about growing your program. I often talk with new Sprouting Melodies Providers about setting a minimum number, and also talk about how when you are a starting a new group, you are better off running the class with only 1 kiddo and inviting everyone you see or meet to come and try it out. If you don’t have anything running, there is nothing for them to come and try out.

Meredith Pizzi

Another thought in response to Kristen’s question about noise and stimulation level for babies. It is true that 2nd or 3rd borns handle a lot of stimulation better than 1st borns. I do try to recommend that all little ones younger than 9 months start in a Sprouting Melodies 1 class. We’ve also created a Saturday morning class that we call Sprouting Melodies 1&2 so it combines the levels 1 & 2 and only goes up to age 18 months. This gives the little ones the opportunity to participate and engage in music levels that are appropriate for them.
      Some of the reminders that I give parents is that for little ones, we clap for movement and rhythm, but not for volume. I also don’t give out varieties of instruments in this class. We may all have a few maracas, or a drum, but we don’t do mixed instruments in SM1 as we do in SM2 and 3.
      Does this make sense?
      Also, I like your idea of repeating the same song with variation in the lyrics or movements to add novelty for the older children but consistent repetition of melody for the younger ones.

Ann Dardis

Participant

I love Meredith’s comment about limiting the instruments in classes with babies. As I’ve stated earlier, all of my classes are family classes, but most of the children have been 18 months or older. This fall I have some younger children. I think it will be beneficial to remove the louder drums from the session and keep only the mellow sounding drums. Also, I probably should avoid using boomwackers with these classes, as the older kids have tended to get rowdy with them. I really need to get some resonator bells with soft mallets and insist that the children remain seated with their caregiver to play them.

Amy Dunlap

Participant

This dilemma reminds me a lot of some of my older adult groups (this is my primary population). Often, I will have a variety of moderately high functioning residents with a few extremely low functioning residents with advanced dementia and/or very limited physical abilities. As was mentioned above, I generally tailor the sessions a bit more toward the majority, which is higher functioning, but take time within the structure to engage those lower functioning residents individually, in their own way, so that they can benefit from the experiences too. I think that some of these skills will transfer well to young children, with the primary concern being overstimulation, which is not necessarily a concern with older adults. I agree that helping the caregivers help the younger children is crucial to everyone having opportunities for success. I think that the pre-requisites that Meredith has mentioned (must take SM1 first, etc.) are likely very helpful in involving children of multiple ages and in getting parents used to the program. The only other concern I can think of is if there is a time when two children (or groups of children in the same levels as each other) need two very different things, whose needs do you prioritize?

Caitlin Kauffman

Participant

Multi-age groupings definitely present some challenges, and I can relate to some of these difficulties when working with older adults as well. Thinking of grief groups, I know it would be challenging to work with multiple ages at a time, which is why the groups are divided the way they are. That being said, in SM Family Sprouts class, I would anticipate a challenge with creating appropriate music experiences for young babies and 4-5 year olds in the same room. When babies can become so easily overstimulated, or if there are children with developmental delays or sensory issues, older toddlers and young children can be quite rambunctious. This is a great opportunity to educate the parents AND the older kids – maybe by having them be “helpers” and to “see how quietly they can do things” if the babies are becoming overstimulated (for example). I echo Amy’s question though – if you reach a moment where two very opposing needs are present, whose needs do you prioritize?
      There is so much opportunity for learning and growth in a scenario where a wide age gap is present, I would think it takes more careful planning, more flexibility in the moment, and astute observational skills. If intergenerational groups can be so successful, I would imagine Family Sprouts could be a truly magical journey when done well!

Brandy Jenkins

Participant

**Late Entry as I am Catching Up on Posting**

I agree with Barb about maybe gearing the class to the older kids and providing feedback during the session on how to adapt for the younger ones. I try not to over think it or I will go crazy. I tend to over think. I think it would be the most challenging for the families to see the benefit even if it isn’t geared directly for their child age. I would just practice my responses and adaptations.

Bernadette Skodack

Participant

I agree with Lauren; I think the biggest challenge involves the age ranges and development levels. You have to think about age-appropriate activities for the development level of an 18 month old and a 48 month old in the same class! I wonder if it’s possible to pre-teach, say a movement for a movement experience, then have the older sibling do it with mom and baby…even big brother/sister with another big brother/sister. What’s nice about Sprouting Melodies is that there are songs that are used across the development ranges.

Sarah Gagnon

Participant

One of my first experiences with preschool aged children of varying ages was at the ARC of Greater New Orleans where I gave out a parachute without giving instructions of framework for the students. It was a nightmare!!! Lessons learned at 20…

One of the benefits of this program is that every piece of music is connected to developing musicality and a skill set of developmental tools.

Music is the way we connect, focus and align clients and their families. It’s easy, as others have mentioned, to over-think rather than to “do” a music group. The sprouting melodies practicum allows for more doing since the framework is based entirely in the music.

If I had had a parachute song when I was 20…perhaps 15 kids going nuts wouldn’t have been such a bad experience!!!

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to content