Share your thoughts with the board members on the role of music therapy in community based settings.

Home Forums Sprouting Melodies Training – April 2014 Week 6 Share your thoughts with the board members on the role of music therapy in community based settings.

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author

Meredith Pizzi

Keymaster

Barb Blackburn

Participant

When I think of community based music therapy, I think of a mobile therapist throughout the community seeing individuals in their home or school. It seems like your definition is a bit different. From what I understand that the first video said, community based music therapy is simply offering music therapy to the community at large. Either way, our role as music therapists is to is help individuals to enhance their quality of life, whether is be through increasing communication and language skills, cognitive, social, emotional, behavioral, or physical skill enhancements. Most of our clients don’t even realize that what they are doing is “work”. They are having fun and enjoying playing and making music. Most are completely unaware that each musical intervention that they take part in has a function. That particular intervention is helping to improve attention, language skills, motor skills, etc.

Lauren Roberts

Participant

I think music therapy plays a very unique role in the community! Just thinking about the community in which I plan to begin a Sprouting Melodies program, there really is nothing like it! Yes, there are other early childhood music programs, but none with the particular focus on development or the education/training of teachers that Sprouting Melodies would offer. In fact, I recently looked at the website of one of the other local programs and saw a section in which the instructor explained why she chose the particular curriculum/program that she did when opening her studio. For each and every point listed, I was able to come up with a statement as to why Sprouting Melodies would be better and, I believe, more attractive to parents in the area as the early childhood music program of choice.

Kristen Crouch

Participant

As music therapists we offer a lot to our community. Even though there are other types of music education programs for children and adults, we offer something unique, as we’ve discussed before. We look at the whole person, not just the education. We offer education, development, and wellness, all wrapped into one. We are offering a special music program to families through SM and looking at so many different aspects: the child’s development, social aspect for both parent and child, wellness for both parent and child, bonding for parent and child, coping for parent, and more. It is our approach to the whole person in all we do that makes us unique.

Caitlin Kauffman

Participant

This is an interesting topic for me, as my professional experience has been solely in a large non-profit hospice program. While I was employed there, I saw the benefit for the community, as we were the largest hospice IN the community, and nearly every person I met had been impacted in some way by hospice care, and usually with my hospice. Even though I have had experience with an organization that was involved in the community, I have not really been a part of a community music therapy program, or music therapy in community-based settings. I really appreciate the concept of serving the needs of your community at large and believe it is important to inject yourself into your community by actively engaging in it. Personally, I am preparing to relocate to a new state and know little about my soon-to-be community. I hope to engage in the community and educate people about music therapy and what it offers. All that I have seen and learned thus far throughout this training has shown me what a unique gift Sprouting Melodies can be to a community. Not only does it offer developmentally appropriate music experiences for children, but it teaches parents how to engage and bond with their child during a time when they are feeling so overwhelmed. It helps to create a support network for parents and connect families in the community. Overall, I believe the role of MT in community-based settings ideally does a great job of connecting people and helping them feel empowered and supported.

Lauren Caso

Participant

Everyone’s comments are just wonderful here! If I were to try to add something else, I would emphasize how empathetic we are as music therapists, to the children and adults in our community. We also care about the quality of the music in a session/class, and the educational moments we can pass on to caregivers. I love the emphasis on creating a welcoming space; whether it be a physical nest, a vocal timbre, a musical warmth from a nylon string guitar or lap harp. We strive, as therapist, to create a welcoming and safe feeling environment for all. Because of our extensive clinical backgrounds and resources available for independent study/research, we are also able to inform parents about milestones and phases baby may be going through, such as the startling/reflex phase, etc. Offering support or further resources is something we as Music Therapists can offer, which is unique and valuable to our community!

Bernadette Skodack

Participant

Thinking about music therapy in the community, I see it as easily accessible to anyone. I see it as occuring in a setting like a community center or library. With anyone being able to access the services, bonds are formed, therefore strengthening the community of families as well as the community as a whole. We know how music can bring people together, and we as music therapists have the unique training to be able to help form and cultivate bonds through music.

Ann Dardis

Participant

In my community there are no other early-childhood music opportunities. The library offers story time & crafts. There may be some music and movement incorporated into the routine at daycare facilities, but nothing intentionally focused on child development. It’s just for fun. So, what I am offering is truly unique and not only for my town, but for the neighboring towns as well. The closest competing program would be over an hour’s drive away. The role that music therapy brings to the community is using music to facilitate family bonding, to help children transition from one task to the next, and to promote their musical development by exposing them to various meters and tonalities that they otherwise may not encounter at home.

Amy Dunlap

Participant

The role of music therapy in community based settings:

I think one of the most unique things about music is its holism – first, in the way that music connects all parts of our being when we fully engage in it, and second, in the way that music can connect all parts of the community, young and old. As music therapists, we are comfortable facilitating these connections in others. In community based settings, this becomes one of the music therapist’s duties. I agree with what Meredith and Beth said about meeting the needs of the community. When providing community based programs, this is an absolute necessity, otherwise there will be no demand and the program will not flourish and provide the intended service.

Brandy Jenkins

Participant

**Late Entry as I am Catching Up on Posting**

Music therapy can play an important role within the community. Our society is so heavily focused on results and often the importance of musical and overall development is lost. Many feel that development should be hurried and feel anxious when they feel their child is behind. Music therapy providing these community early childhood music experiences can help validate the importance of development and that every child is different. We can provide a service that allows for more bonding and understanding. I think that we are in a unique position to encourage development through positive experiences and bonding.

Sarah Gagnon

Participant

Music therapy in community based sessions has the potential to be incredible effective and useful depending on what is discussed and experienced.

Music therapists have the skills to approach a group to provide enriched experiences that can treat the “wholeness” of that community.

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to content