Share your thoughts with the board members on the role of music therapy in community based settings.

Home Forums Sprouting Melodies Training – September 2014 Week 6 Share your thoughts with the board members on the role of music therapy in community based settings.

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author

Meredith Pizzi

Keymaster

Adrienne Salmon

Participant

I think that the importance of music therapy in community based settings cannot be overstated enough.. and I am having a difficult time putting it into words. So I will use an example. One of the groups that I see is in a high school for kids who for whatever behavior-based reason (trouble with the law, trouble with authority, physically acting out, physical harm, self-harm, what have you) cannot function in a “normal” high school. The way these kids, who would otherwise not really associate with each other (this group is an elective class, and most of these kids did not begin this group as acquaintances, never mind peers) have begun to uplift one another and encourage each person’s individual talent is really inspiring. These kids are so similar in so many ways, but just as different in just as many ways. However, as a community, they are coming together and assembling little groups within each other (one bass-guitar-piano-voice group, one drum-guitar group) to put together a performance for the school. Music gives them a common thread that can unite them, and I leave every session uplifted and inspired by the way the community setting uplifts and assists these kids. One girl started out being so shy, she didn’t want to sing in front of anybody. Now, with the encouragement of the group, she sings in front of everybody weekly, and told me she wants to be a singer! I just can’t overstate enough how profoundly positive the role of community based music therapy sessions can be.

Kristina Rio

Participant

Adriene, what an inspiring job we have! Thanks for sharing your success and passion for your work.

Laura Myers

Participant

One role mt’s have in community based settings is to fill a void. I know in my area families would need to drive 30+ minutes to find a music class specifically for young children. This makes it difficult for families to want to take a class when it can turn into a 2.5 hour process for one class. Also, as mt’ s we can educate and advocate for our profession. Getting out there in the community will shed light to our community as to what music therapist do and how we use music. We offer support to our community as well.

BJ Waelz

Participant

I have always felt that as a music therapist I have a unique view on development, goals, needs etc. In other words, even when I am seeing kids in a more typical setting, often because of my training I have been able to pick up on needs or problems with a child because of my background. I have even had many parents who are sure that their child is ADHD or developmentally lacking when truly the child is just more energetic than most or shy and quiet. I think we are “tuned” in to notice things, it is our assessment background. I believe that it is vital for MT-BC’s to be out there serving the community in community based programs. Our unique training and understanding of music and the effects of music to elicit change make us the ideal candidates to present music programs to young children. It also puts us at a good vantage point to help parents with children who truly are in therapeutic need to find the proper resources that they might miss out on.

Ian Crawford

Participant

I’m admittedly not very articulate on this point, but I’ll try! What inspires me most about community music groups/classes is that one of music’s greatest strengths is it’s ability to unite people. I really loved Adrienne’s example about the high school she works at. It’s a much different experience with each age group, of course, but in every setting music can create a sense of togetherness.

In terms of early childhood, there really is a need in most communities for these types of music classes, run by music therapists trained to provide individualized classes that meet the needs of children with or without disabilities. We truly have so much to offer!

Ericha Rupp

Participant

The role of a music therapist in a community based setting is both unique and essential. As music therapists we provide a exciting, positive, fun, and supportive environment especially for children who fall into the early childhood category. We are unique in a way that anybody can benefit from our services. We are essential in the sense that we can provide a specific experience for a specific reason.

Meredith Pizzi

Hi Everyone! I’m really enjoying reading everyone’s posts!! As you may have already noticed, I am a strong proponent of getting involved and being active in our communities as music therapist. We are a needed and valuable resource to our communities! Being willing to think outside of our clinical treatment plan, but with all of our training and expertise leads us to new opportunities for community building, interpersonal growth and amazing music making!

I encourage you to keep working on your “pitch” as you go through this course. These questions are here to make you think and to give you the opportunity to put the words together to tell others about what we offer. You can’t just do great work, you also have to be able to articulate it. Consider these questions as an opportunity to increase your effectiveness in communicating who you are and what you do! It will help you tremendously as you bring a new Sprouting Melodies program into the community!

Lysa Wright

Participant

Being a music therapist is definitely a unique benefit. We are not only able to provide quality music, but we have training in child development, sensitivity, and the effects music has on others. We are more observant and aware of the needs of not only the children and parents separately, but their needs for bonding. Because of our music therapy training, we tend to pick up on the needs of others more, and this gives us a strong advantage in this market.

Shonda Malik

Participant

Part of my caseload is clinical-based and I also have a variety of community-based settings where my work in groups is more experiential, social or performance based. I believe the work I do in these community-based settings looks much different than what a non-music therapist might provide. When I work in groups with clients who have significant developmental disabilities I provide them with music instrument playing opportunities that are as independent as possible. Non-music therapists might not even give an instrument to these same clients, or play it for them, or do hand over hand play the entire time. In another group for adults with mild cognitive delays, part of our music experience is on-topic group discussions based on themes presented in the songs we play together. A non-music therapist facilitating a music group might think that discussions don’t have a place in music making time.

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to content