Share your thoughts

Home Forums Sprouting Melodies Training – January 2014 Week 7 Share your thoughts

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author

Meredith Pizzi

Keymaster

Share your thoughts with the board on how much stimulation is enough? How much stimulation is too much?

Elyse Suhay

Participant

This is difficult to say, because it is different for every child. It’s also hard in a group because each child has different thresholds. And then, it can also take time to learn what each child needs, so sometimes you figure out where the line was AFTER you crossed it. This is something I’d like to learn more about and know some more indicators. Some things that I look for with overstimulation is when children start participating with way more enthusiasm than I usually see from them, and they generally become self-absorbed or start playing with a classmate if I am not providing enough stimulation. But I don’t really know what to look for in babies that are just 1 year old.

Jennifer DeBedout

Participant

I agree with Elyse that it is hard to answer fully because stimulation levels are different for different children and stimulation levels can vary based on group dynamics. I agree with what Meredith and Beth were discussing in this weeks video regarding exercising caution with this developmental level to not startle the children or overstimulate them with too loud of a voice or through the use of instruments. This is a topic area that speaks to our training as music therapist because we are trained to assess the situation and responses when we are engaged in the musical environment so that we can best adapt and change the musical stimuli as needed. I find there are a few times when I need to foster an alert response or use the music to motivate babies that are sleepy, snuggly or perhaps distracted. I also find that when a music series with little ones first starts, I use a very gentle voice and have a very gentle approach in my vocal tone and singing voice. It feels to me like that parents need it just as much as the babies! Once we all get to know each other the energy revs up more for all involved! I also think it is important to have a calming/attention grabbing trick up your sleeve with this age group as they can get excited with movement and instruments. In watching the video, Beth and Meredith use stop/start and surprise to maintain attention and promote focus. The little ones love these moments!

Elizabeth Schwartz

Keymaster

Jennifer, I think you are right that parents and grownups need a gentle, engaging place to ‘just be’ as much as their children do!

Caroline Gillott

Participant

I agree with all. Elyse, I’m like you. I tend to figure out after the fact that there was too much stimulation. This is mostly because I work primarily with people on the spectrum and over-stimulation does not always present itself in the same manner with each person. I hate to be the person to piggy back on what others have already said, but I too have to mention about what Jennifer referenced with the dynamic level of voice. The dynamic of my voice often something that I am not very aware of but need to be. That section of the video has already helped me be more aware in my current sessions. I have also adjusted my timbre and dynamic with my young daughter. There have been times when my voice alone had unintentionally startled her. To me, I felt like I was speaking at a normal dynamic with a gentle timbre, but obviously to her, it was jarring. My daughter is my greatest teacher at this point. She is at the stage where she loves to be surprised and anticipates surprises. I am excited to try some things out with her to increase her anticipation responses but also to work on my delivery so not to startle or scare her.

Katie Maurer

Participant

Not enough/too much stimulation can certainly be a fine line and where that line is varies for each child. Recognizing where that line is takes experience and is also an area where parents’ input can be very important.

One thing I’ve noted through all the songs in the videos is that even though you incorporate music surprises, a variety of timbres and dynamics, etc. nothing is ever harsh. I know I find harsh sounds very overstimulating and would imagine there are children that feel the same thing.

I’m with Caroline, I’ve already starting being more mindful of my dynamics, affect, and timbre with my current client. I really hadn’t given it too much thought before this course.

Elizabeth Schwartz

Keymaster

Thanks for sharing your thoughts about vocal timbre and dynamics. Voice skills and techniques is another area of interest for me and I am honored that AMTA just posted a podcast that I did on developing voice skills for music therapists. You can listen to it at the AMTA-Pro page at http://www.musictherapy.org.

Dany Orozco

Participant

I agree with Jennifer about using a more gentle voice when the session is starting and then going from there. It’s tricky with a group because everyone has different lines where stimulation changes to over-stimulation, but I think that starting at a lower point gives you the time to assess where most of the group is and work from there.

Cassandra Mulcahy

Participant

In my practice, I think that the bottom line behind the level of stimulation are two things: relationship and energy-matching. I see this in all of my early-childhood levels. Once a child becomes more comfortable with what you are creating with them, then it becomes appropriate to increase your level of spontaneity, sillyness, and playfulness. I would never greet a new child with anything but a warm calm smile and gentle voice, but children who know me often respond with more energy and excitement, and I tend to mirror this.

Kate St. John

Participant

Everyone has had great input on this. I agree that it is difficult to determine the appropriate level of stimulation when this is such a wide age range and every child is different. But generally speaking, if I am not getting good engagement/participation, then the stimulation and energy is probably too low. If children are bouncing around but not focused or engaged in the music, then I probably need to increase the stimulation and energy.

Nancy Bair

Participant

Great ideas! As far as how much stimulation, I think a lot of it can depend on the day, the kids, etc. I think it is important to always be watching for signs of over-stimulation. However, in my experience, observing is only half the solution. You have to know what to do and have a plan b, or plan c, or plan d, in place and pre-determined BEFORE the group gets out of your control. With this age group, one kid can really be overstimulated but another kid would be just fine. It’s really about balance and knowing how to tip the scales one way or another depending on what is happening.

When I used to work with many seniors within the dementia population, I became very aware of signs of agitation and was able to steer clear of those things the next time around. I think SM would be very similar in that regard.

Sarah jane Mason

Participant

At the start of the session I agree that the energy level needs to be warm, happy and inviting, but more calm. I have a kinda big personality and dramatic affect in my groups that I have to tone down a bit at the beginning and then work into. Cassandra said it well with energy-matching. If the group that day is up or down, I always just try to match their energy. This is much easier in a 1:1 session as others said, but as MT’s we can assess the group’s needs at that moment in time. I still avoid cymbals and tambourines at this age group because I think they can cause over-stimulation. One of the music classes I go to with my son always has the cymbals out for them to choose. They dominate the room and the person playing them can’t really hear what’s going on besides the crashing sound. Of course my son is the one playing them too! He goes straight for them every time and although I try to encourage him to try all of the instruments, they are there and he wants them!

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to content