Sing and learn some of the songs presented in the video. Share with the board your experiences using these songs.

Home Forums Sprouting Melodies Training – April 2016 Week 3 Sing and learn some of the songs presented in the video. Share with the board your experiences using these songs.

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • Author

Meredith Pizzi

Keymaster

Elizabeth Carras

Participant

When I was first starting out with early childhood music groups, I struggled a little bit with “gathering/greeting” type songs, because many of the ones I knew had the words “Good morning,” but classes were held in the evenings and I felt very silly singing, “Good morning” at 5:00 pm. I tried adapting the songs I knew by substituting “Good evening,” but that felt very stiff and not as welcoming as good morning. I finally found that “Welcome” – or “Oh, welcome” if you want to use a three syllable phrase – works really well, as does “Hello there.” Maybe because of that experience struggling with “good morning,” I really liked the “Are You Ready for Music?” example, and also one that I heard Beth present at conference that has the lyrics, “Come along, sit down in the circle, come and sit down with me!”

Anonymous

Inactive

Great insights Elizabeth!

Rebecca Woodruff

Participant

While, I am not currently working in the music therapy field, I was able to hold a mini session with a few of my nieces and a nephew. As we sat down and chose instruments I improvised my own gathering song which gave each child a chance to play their chosen instrument. Later on in the session I used, “Will You Come?”. First I chose marching and set a steady 2/4. The children were able to follow my example and march a steady beat. Then I let the children choose other movements for us to do. Two choose spinning around. I was able to change the lyrics, meter, tempo and use fermata to support their movements. We also used skipping and using a 6/8 meter really supported the skipping movement (something I had not consciously thought to do until hearing it in this week’s lesson). I was also able to use the song “Hold on Tight” with my youngest niece. While I used the music to support the actions in the song she did not seem very interested. This could have been her displaying preference or could have been developmentally a bit below her level.

Shelly Peterson

Participant

I tried Wiggly Jiggly Car and it was a hit. The combination of the calm, predictable beginning and the playful bouncing easily kept my students’ attention and invited them to join in and wanting more. It was interesting to watch the children really focus in as I played around with the length of the fermata on each “Oh, oh, oh.” Many of my 1 and 2 year olds were enthusiastically singing along with “now it’s time to stop.”

Kate Potrykus

Participant

I have yet to have a chance to try these songs out on actual kiddos, but singing through them, I can already start to see where I can use songs like “Hold on Tight” and “Wiggly Jiggly Car.” Particularly for children who have some more sensory needs, the physical feeling have having arms wrapped around them or bouncing on a lap make those songs perfect! Until this course, I was making up songs with similar themes for one child I work with in particular because she is very motivated by movement. Now I have some new songs to introduce to her!

Julia Park

Participant

I used “Good morning to you” and “I like this song” with my 8 month old daughter. Both tunes had such simple, pleasant, and catchy feel that my husband was also able to sing with me to our daughter in no time. I think one of the important thing to consider when choosing songs for the groups is to choose tunes that are easy for the families to learn so that they can listen, learn, and adapt in no time. My little munchkin was somewhat grumpy this morning and when my husband and I sang “Good morning to you” as we were preparing breakfast, she smiled quietly and watched us sing to her in a calm and gentle way. This was a perfect song for our daughter as we were helping her transition from waking up to eating breakfast.

Julia Park

Participant

It appears some of you tried “Hold on tight!” and had a good response from the kiddos. I am reading the comments from everyone and can’t wait to try these other songs that you guys have picked. Thank you!

Susan Gannon

Participant

I tried the “Hey, Everybody” song with one of my groups and I was so delighted to have a new greeting song. I was start my group with a song the goes “Come and Join the Circle” as they enter the room. Then I sing a “Hello” song that I have written and that song asks “how are you today?” of each child. It’s a great song and I can use it with every age group, but sometimes I want something a little different. This song was great because it flats the 3rd and the 7th which gives it a rocking bluesy feel. It also includes everyone and allows for some motions. I’m definitely going to try to get everyone up so we can dance together next time.

Elizabeth Schwartz

Keymaster

Thanks for letting me know how the songs are working for you. In addition, I post a new song almost every month on the Sprouting Melodies web site. Find one of the latest ones here:
      http://sproutingmelodies.com/2016/03/13/cant-sit-still/

Nicole Drozd

Participant

I believe I already answered this one-This is a new board created for the one that was faulty correct?

Anonymous

Inactive

Hi Nicole,

No this is the original post that was had a technical issue. The issue was corrected. A few people created their own topics to answer during that time.

Flora Whitmore

Participant

I haven’t got a chance to try these songs out with kiddos yet, but just singing Good Morning to myself was very soothing- I liked the interval, and I could imagine using this in a space like a library, where the music could still come across as gentle but assertive. I also liked “are you ready for music?” Very jazzy! I could see all sorts of applications for this with different instruments, movement and adaptation for age level.

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to content