Sing and learn some of the songs presented in the video. Share with the board your experiences using these songs.

Home Forums Sprouting Melodies Training – September 2013 Week 3 Sing and learn some of the songs presented in the video. Share with the board your experiences using these songs.

Viewing 21 reply threads
  • Author

Meredith Pizzi

Keymaster

Toni

Participant

I like the way that “Good Morning To You” uses the octave and wide intervals. This song is warm, inviting and cheerful… perfect for gathering.

I’m still digesting “How Do You Know When It’s Summer Time?” I’ve sung many a song in the minor tonality about things that are fun. For me, I think the tempo is the element that is unusual for such fun and exciting activities.

Overall, I think the songs and categories in “You and Me Makes We” are fantastic. Nice and simple, some parodies and some original. Lyrics perfect the developmental stages of young children.

I tend to hide behind my guitar. This weeks lesson will encourage me to do more a cappella and maybe even use the piano!

Toni

Participant

I meant to write “The lyrics are perfect for the developmental stages of young children.”

Coleen Shanagher

Participant

I have a group this weekend and while it is for older children I already know they are going to love these songs! I’m really excited to use some of the songs as gathering songs and if I change the words here and there they will be age appropriate for instrument play. I’ll let everyone know how it goes.

Elizabeth Schwartz

Keymaster

So glad you are enjoying working with the songs. We would love to have you share some of your music on the forum.

Stacy Reno

Participant

I have groups on Wednesday that I think would benefit from the the song collection. I haven’t decided what song group specifically yet, but I will let you know how it goes! I love new ideas!

Kehlen Bushatz

Participant

Since I work primarily with preschoolers in both my MT and teaching job, I’m very excited to use the transition songs. I think these songs will be great to use when they come in the room in the morning or getting them to go to the next activity. I could even change the words to the “Are You Ready for Some Music?” to whatever activity we will be doing next and describe in the song what we will be doing during the activity.

Keeley St Clair

Participant

I’ve been completely swamped with quarterly reporting for the last week and wasn’t able to watch these videos until today (pardon my tardiness in contributing!). Now that I’ve seen them, I am brimming with excitement and possibility.
      These songs have given me ideas on how to expand songs I’ve used in the past as well as ideas for using songs in more interesting keys and meter.
      I am loving the high quality and different textures/timbres in these songs – rather than just a sing-song style present in most children’s music.
      I am so excited to put this into practice!

Kathryn Opher

Participant

I’m later that you Keeley! Just watched everything this morning. I will be trying the songs over the next week and will get back to you.

Anonymous

Inactive

Keeley and Kathryn glad to hear your voices!! I know sometimes it is hard with busy schedules. Happy to hear that you were able to enjoy the videos and and get inspired!

Siobhan Rooney

Participant

I used “Are You Ready For Music?” with a group of four year olds while we were walking down the hall to the music room and they really liked it. I imitated the sliding clap that Beth used in the video and I found it helped to organize them. The line was a little straighter and it seemed to help them focus more on me and the task at hand (walking). Sometimes walking in a straight line and not being distracted by all of the art work in the hallway can seem like a Sisyphean task! I also tried “Hold on Tight” with a small group of two year olds, this was a big hit. I was surprised to see how much language this elicited (ie. more, again). These songs are perfect for my children and setting. I’m excited to use more!

Lauren Stoner

Participant

I really enjoyed reviewing and singing these songs. They are structurally sound and entertaining, even for adults (since some of the tunes are still in my head when I wake up in the morning). I do not work presently in this population, so I have not been able to utilize the songs in a clinical setting as of yet. However, I have been going through the songs and have been thinking of ways to adapt them to fit the need of the client in the moment. I like the possibilities these songs provide with the anticipation of resolution, movement, and stage development. I hope to learn more about developing new songs for this population and focusing on “peeling the onion” as you say. I am very excited to move forward.

Jennifer Sokira

Participant

I’ve been loving Wiggly Jiggly Car and am going to use it with my caregivers and babies group at a local library tomorrow! It certainly has my son’s stamp of approval, as does anything with that level of structure, anticipation and fun. I am also planning on using Sit Down With Me with this group and hoping to use the structure to encourage a little bit more singing from the caregivers!

Elizabeth Schwartz

Keymaster

I have a saying in my groups…”Everybody stays. Everybody plays.”

Sarah Tree

Participant

I love the structure and language of these songs. I really like that you told us about the minor tonality, as it’s something I definitely do not use enough. I’ve gotten the opportunity to observe a few Sprouting Melodies classes and see these songs in action. They were very effective. I’m really looking forward to getting to use these with the groups once I get started!

Elizabeth Schwartz

Keymaster

Hi, Sarah. You might want to check out the ‘Sprouting Melodies Sing at Home’ videos for October and November that are posted on the Sprouting Melodies website.

Sarah Tree

Participant

Thanks, Elizabeth! I will be sure to do so!

Shannon Kiley

Participant

I’ve been using the “Good mo–rning!, Good mo–rning!” greeting tune with the octave jumps, as my very first greeting when I walk into a classroom or am putting my things down to start a group in a classroom. This in-between time has always been slightly awkward, from the time that the teacher says “Miss Shannon is here!” to the time that I actually start the hello song. This transitional tune has really helped both me and the children to transition into music time while I am getting my guitar out and keeps their attention from wandering. Some of the kids even have begun to greet *me* with the song when I come in!!

Anonymous

Inactive

Shannon I really love this “Good morning” song too. I sing it to my daughter each morning when she wakes up. It’s great you have found a way to incorporate that into your work. I used to work in a school I had similar experiences when I first walked into a classroom to set up and begin a session. I agree that having a song definitely helps this transition.

Erin Spring

Participant

I love using the song that starts out “Please sit down with me, put your hands right one your knees…. and we’ll sing a little more…” My practicum students and I often use this with our preschool classes and its so perfect for refocusing everyone and quickly getting everyone in their seats and hands to themselves. We often just use the first phrase between experiences. 🙂

Petra Paukova

Participant

I like the “How do you do and shake hands” song. I already know the part that is in Mixolydian mode from Music Together class and even I and my son took it many years ago I still remember this tune. So, I would definitely use it if I was working with children right now, which I am not. I also like the moment of surprise in this song, the whole note crescendo “Oh!” Everyone likes surprises. 🙂

Andrea U

Participant

I have to say Good Morning has been one of my favourites too. That CD has been in my computer for a couple of weeks and every so often, I accidentally open it and that song plays to my amusement. I have also been using it for some of my adult with developmental delays groups. Unfortunately, changing the lyrics to “Good Afternoon” just doesn’t have the same ring to it!

Viewing 21 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to content