Sing and learn some of the songs presented in the video. Share with the board your experiences using these songs.

Home Forums Sprouting Melodies Training – April 2014 Week 3 Sing and learn some of the songs presented in the video. Share with the board your experiences using these songs.

Viewing 17 reply threads
  • Author

Meredith Pizzi

Keymaster

Lauren Roberts

Participant

I loved getting song examples in this week’s videos! I don’t have any early childhood clients right now to be able to integrate them into my sessions, but enjoyed immediately putting them to use with my boyfriend’s 18 month old son.

There were already a couple of song/games we would play with him bouncing on my knees that could be best categorized as bonding songs, but it was fun being able to switch those up with “Hold on Tight.” Also, they live in Peachtree City, GA which is known around here for being a golf cart community, is filled with paths, and everyone goes everywhere on a golf cart. Parking lots even have specific areas designated for golf cart parking. He LOVES the golf cart, and sits in my lap whenever we go anywhere, so “Wiggly Jiggly Car” was especially perfect for those drives since I really am his seat belt!

“Just Like Me” was another good one, because we have already been working on body part identification, albeit usually more of a quiz than a game. And, since he is used to that style, there’s not a whole lot of interaction yet in the sense of “this is a song we’re singing TOGETHER.” Rather, he still seems to still be receiving and processing it as a quiz, but I’m just singing it now. Will keep working with this one!

Can’t wait to learn more of the music.

Kristina Rio

Participant

Lauren, sounds like you had some great experiences with the song. I love the application of wiggly jiggly during your golf cart rides!

Lauren Caso

Participant

I love using the movement songs, particularly “Gather ‘Round”, because children seem to enjoy the anticipation of the tempo change from slow to fast, and delight in the “fast” section. The piggy back songs for “Ants Go Marching”, etc. are also effective if the melody is familiar to children. I enjoy adapting the songs to the specific groups I’m working with; whether it’s varying the words, actions, name substitution with children’s names, or word substitution reflecting the choice of an animal/food/instrument theme, etc.

Kristen Crouch

Participant

I’m currently coming off of maternity leave so I’m only seeing one client a week while running my business. However, I have an almost 5 month old and have been trying little songs to sing to him throughout our day. I really liked singing Good Morning To You to him in the mornings as a nice wake up song! The songs Just Like Me and All Of This Is Me have been good as I’m trying to teach him about his body. I enjoyed the Hold On Tight and Wiggly Jiggly Car because he can bounce on my lap and sway on the fermatas – which he thinks is fun!

Kristen Crouch

Participant

I’m not sure where we are supposed to put general questions or comments about the material we are learning so I’m posting it here.

I loved the idea of a transition song being a question as opposed to a statement of action!

Question about writing songs for each developmental stage (and perhaps this will be covered later): Will we review the appropriate vocal ranges for each age/dev level of chidren? The octave jump in the Good Morning To You made me think about this. As well as singing in Major vs Minor keys. Elizabeth touched on this and I found it very interesting. I have always enjoyed songs in minor but shied away from them because I thought that maybe they weren’t always the best for little ones. (Although now that I think about it many of my favorite lullabies are in minor.) I’m sure we will be getting to this info eventually but those were my thoughts this week. Thanks!

Kristina Rio

Participant

Hi Kristen. You can post general questions here like you did, or when you are in the general week 3 page where all of the questions are posted by Meredith, at the bottom of that page you can create a new topic and name it anything you want e.g. “Questions.” Either way works fine! I sent your question along to Meredith and Beth, so keep checking back and someone will respond as soon as they are able. I am uncertain which week this would be discussed in, but either Meredith or Beth would be able to tell you! Hope that helps!

Sarah Gagnon

Participant

Trying at least one tomorrow and will post on how it goes!!!

Sarah Gagnon

Participant

Hey,
      I tried the following today: Goodmorning, Buckle-Up, Bonding with Slow-Fast as well as Do You Want To Make Music?
      And what a great day it was. The kids, siblings and parents all loved these songs. I loved being able to explain more detail about development and was able to adapt some bonding songs for the little girl with Joubert’s Syndrome. Guess what? No arching backwards, she was thoroughly engaged with her daddy’s singing and she was vocalizing more than he said he’s seen her outside of eating.
      I did forget the first song and ended up coaching one parent about combining singing and slow-fast lap/bonding songs. It was all very well received.
      Hope you are all having as much fun with this as I am!

Bernadette Skodack

Participant

I’m not currently working with children, but I could see myself adapting “How Do You Know When it’s Summer Time?” for all of the seasons. I also really liked “A Car on My Knee”; that’s really adaptable as well with different objects!

Barb Blackburn

Participant

Very excited to try some of these songs on Monday! Most of our clients are school age, or adults, but we have a new client who is functioning at a one year old level so these songs would be very appropriate. I’m sure my supervisor (who has already taken this training) will be using some of these songs, if she isn’t already, with one of her clients, who is 5 years old, but functioning at a much lower level.

Caitlin Kauffman

Participant

I loved the new songs and can’t wait to make them second-nature by really learning them and ‘owning’ them. Right now I am both a) not working and b) not working with kids (obviously!) so I haven’t had a chance to apply them. Though if I do end up working a grief camp this summer I could see the use of the gathering songs especially. I still have the “Good morning to you” in my head and love the opening octave interval, as well as the piggyback songs to familiar folk tunes. I can practice singing them for my husband, but he is my only audience thus far! Thank you for the wonderful resources.

Katherine Sestrick

Participant

I see a set of two year old twins whose goals include expressive language and following directions. The song, “Will You Come” was perfect for them because I have been working on action words, specifically -ing words, for a couple of weeks. This song worked perfectly because there is also a 4 year old and a 5 1/2 year old in the family. I had the older kids demonstrate the movements then had the twins name the action. Then of course we sang and performed the actions of the song. The whole family loved this activity.

Amy Dunlap

Participant

I really enjoy the music that is presented for this training – I think it is inventive, musically diverse, and extremely fun and find myself wanting to use the music more than I am able, as I only work with children one hour/month right now. However, I was reminded of “When Johnny Comes Marching Home” after listening to “Come Sit With Me” and incorporated it into my Memorial Day sessions with older adults. Also, I have found myself paying more attention to all elements of music in sessions since starting the training. I am more aware of the timbre that I use and have made an effort to up the playfulness in my music, which, of course, benefits my older adults and adults with developmental disabilities. I will be traveling to Jamaica next week to observe music therapy students doing clinical work and plan to take some of the songs with me to supplement folk music when we work at a school for children with special needs. I will report on that when I get back!

Caitlin Kauffman

Participant

Amy, I can’t wait to hear all about your experiences in Jamaica and with these songs!! Have a wonderful time!

Ann Dardis

Participant

I’m currently on a summer break from music classes, so I haven’t had a chance to incorporate any of the songs as of yet. Classes start up again for “Summer Camp” on August 11 – 14 and then Fall classes will start mid-September. Songs that I intend to use at that time are “Hold on Tight!”, “Wiggly Jiggly Car”, “Just Like Me!”, “Sit Down With Me”, “All of This is Me”, and “Where Is the Music?”

Kasey Sollenberger

Participant

Before I even used “Wiggly Jiggly Car” I couldn’t get the song out of my head! I love the interaction between parent and child here. It’s a super fun one to use in groups and it’s great to be able to observe the bonding that occurs with this song in particular. I found that the parents enjoy “Just Like Me” as well, I think it’s because the song is so simple to sing along to and doesn’t require much direction.

Brandy Jenkins

Participant

**Late Entry as I am Catching Up on Posting**

During this training, I began working for an early intervention school for special needs. I used the Good Morning song, Do You Want to Make Music, and Wiggly Jiggly Car. The Wiggly Jiggly Car went especially well because there are teachers, aids and volunteers at the school which allow for 1 to 1 ratio! Each child got to sit in a lap. I had wonderful feedback from the teachers as well. Thank you!

Viewing 17 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to content