Sing and learn some of the songs presented in the video. Share with the board your experiences using these songs.

Home Forums Sprouting Melodies Training – January 2015 Week 3 Sing and learn some of the songs presented in the video. Share with the board your experiences using these songs.

Viewing 18 reply threads
  • Author

Meredith Pizzi

Keymaster

Jessica Bogacik

Participant

I LOVE these songs! It was so fun to learn and practice these while I was watching the videos, and to pretend that I was leading them with a group! I thought it was really valuable to consider the benefit of using different modes, and never considered the impact of that on the emotional and cognitive development of children. I also love the idea of sharing songs that are just about being musical, or just about loving to sing or be me. I think sometimes with kids we are so focused on giving them something to do to keep them occupied that we don’t always give them a chance to just BE, and learn who they are. I love the idea of giving kids a chance to develop that sense of self within the structure of music.

Melissa Hentges

Participant

I am very excited to use these songs in my classes! I particularly enjoyed the use of minor keys and different modes. I admit that I get stuck using major keys a lot of the time but I really loved the songs that made use of the rich sounds that different modes can produce. I always use a “Hello” song to begin my classes, but this week I’m going to try out the gathering songs as children enter the room. That can be a very hectic time and maybe with the addition of a song right as they are entering the music space it will help them transition smoothly.

Mikhala Majeau

Participant

Like Melissa, I also get stuck using major keys. I loved the songs with an open fifth and natural minor. I don’t currently have a practice, but I will be using the songs with the children I take care of. Keeping in mind the best practices taught here, I’m going to try to create a song based on their day when I am with them this week.
      I can’t wait to learn more music, and become more comfortable using different modes in my practice.

Amanda Goff

Participant

I agree with the group so far, it is nice to hear some new songs working with different modes and in the minor keys. I definitely relate and can say that I also get stuck in the land of major keys. It was a lot of fun hearing the new songs, as well as, singing along with both Elizabeth and Meredith during the powerpoint 🙂 Right now, I am not working with younger children, but I cannot wait to use these songs in the future. It is also nice to add some new songs to my repertoire.

Kristina Rio

Participant

I’d love to hear how it goes using these songs in your work or personal life! Let us know how it goes using the songs!

Michelle Nettle

Participant

I really enjoyed learning these songs and as everyone has previously mentioned, I definitely tend to use major keys in most of the music I use. It was REALLY refreshing to hear songs in minor keys and modes, as they were beautiful, comforting, and intriguing…all of which I think is important in providing music that especially supports the early developmental levels of awareness, trust, and independence. I am excited to try these songs with the little ones I work with.

Natalie Condon

Participant

I really enjoyed reading about the different categories of songs and each one’s purpose in relation to the developmental stages of the child. Like others, I am drawn to using major keys and I found the minor keys and modes to be refreshing. Learning about the child’s natural inclination toward the natural minor was enlightening. I haven’t had the chance to work with children of this age yet, but I’m looking forward to putting these songs (or variations of them) into practice. I found the physical movements with the songs to come naturally and as I sang them I could visualize using them in classes and sessions.

Linda Madler

Participant

I enjoyed all the examples and particularly enjoyed listening to the songs that incorporated musical elements like crescendo, glissando, etc. I look forward to trying “Car on My Knee.” I think “Sit Down with Me” might be a good one to try with my unruly PK4 class, especially incorporating the pause before the final note. I enjoyed the songs that combine “sedative” and “playful” elements with a clear ending phrase. I would like to try that with a toddler who can be a little reticent to participate.

Steven Clarke

Participant

I have not had the opportunity to use any of the songs presented in the video yet, but I am excited to apply them as a structure from which I can expand upon and incorporate my own creative ideas! The addition of major/minors scales, modes, harmonies, dynamics and capitalizing on interesting rhythms will be extremely useful when adapting these songs for future use. I feel that drawing upon and considering such elements when making music for this population will help keep it exciting and fun for them.

Robyn Rutland-Coleman

Participant

What fun and engaging songs these are! It was fascinating to flip through the PowerPoint and take a quick look at the songs before watching the videos, and then come back and realize just how much is there, in terms of intentional content and purposeful use of musical elements. I was particularly interested in the use of wider intervallic leaps in a few songs, as a way of gaining attention and welcoming the children into the group and making it open to them. I feel that the inclusion of minor keys and modes adds to the musical interest for all parties: children, caregivers, and facilitators! It also expands the expressive palette available to us as we lead, and by extension will encourage caregivers and children to explore a variety of tonalities.

I have not had the experience of using any of these songs with clients yet, but I am anxious to do so. I just started working with a child in this age range last week, so I am looking forward to including the new material and ideas into our sessions.

Elizabeth Schwartz

Keymaster

So glad that you are enjoying and using this music. Just a reminder, in case you were not aware, that I do a monthly blog for parents and educators with new songs called “Sprouting Melodies Sing at Home”. You can find them at http://www.SproutingMelodies.com/blog. Enjoy!

Kathy Odenkirk

Participant

I was able to attend a workshop given by Elizabeth Schwartz at a recent conference and got to experience some of these songs done live! I was also able to purchase her book “You and Me Makes…We”. I already had sessions planned for my preschoolers but have picked out several songs to try over the next few weeks. Some of the songs presented automatically brought a client or group to mind and I am looking forward to trying out some new songs!

Leigh Ann Walberg

Participant

I also loved these songs. I had a chance, at my pre-school today to try out Sit Down with me, Just Like Me and Will You come. They especially loved Just Like Me and Will You Come, those were BIG hits!! For Will You Come I did several verses such as I’ll be patting with the music, clapping, waving, nodding and leaning. I also did several verses with Just Like Me. Several of the students sang along to Just Like Me.

Amanda Barnett

Participant

I am so very glad to have learned these songs for my future work with younger children! As I now work with teens and young adults I have yet to use them in my practice. I did notice though that most of the songs I use are specifically major in key. I would love to use different types of songs in the minor key and different modes in my practice and now notice how bland my sessions seem with the minor key taking the upper hand. The closest I was able to find to use these ideas with this week were with a young make who is deaf. I was able to scoop the pitch from high to low to help him with speech and for the first time in MONTHS he actually sang along with me! It was amazing! I can’t wait to see what else is in store for is in this wonderful learning journey!

Anonymous

Inactive

I am so glad to see you are enjoying Beth’s music. I also see that some of you were able to get her book “You and Me Makes We.” It is an excellent resource with tons of wonderful songs and the beginning of the book she spends a good amount of time talking about songwriting for early childhood. I have found it extremely useful in my work.

Kayla Hamilton

Participant

The clinic I work at loves using the songs from the video! We use “Just Like Me” for awareness and bonding with caregivers. We love to use these different songs from the video and use them to fit our client’s needs, as mentioned in the video. I love how so many of the songs are easily adaptable, while also being very memorable.

Lauren Servos

Participant

So far, I’ve only sung these songs with my daughter, but she loved them! I’m excited to use some with my patients next week. “I Like This Song” sounds like so much fun, and perfect to use when creating an environment for free self-expression.

Jamie Sacca

Participant

I found the songs easy to learn and remember which is important in a session so you can be present for your client! Additionally, I also thought that some could easily be adapted for my particular needs. Will you come could be adapted to work on social skills and interactions with my higher preschoolers. They are always expanding their social vocabulary and this would be a great way to incorporate social opportunities, having one student start marching, invited by me asking “will you come?” And then having that first student invite the next student. This also reinforces and generalizes turn taking skills and joint attention. I am thinking of incorporating this intervention into my sessions in March.

Viewing 18 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to content