Sing and learn some of the songs presented in the video. Share with the board your experiences using these songs.

Home Forums Sprouting Melodies Training – March 2015 Week 3 Sing and learn some of the songs presented in the video. Share with the board your experiences using these songs.

• This topic has 16 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by Anonymous.
Viewing 16 reply threads
  • Author

Meredith Pizzi

Keymaster

Christine Czuhajewski

Participant

I really enjoyed many of the songs presented in this video. I particularly enjoyed the use of syncopated piano accompaniments, as well as some of the acapella songs in different modes. The songs in minor keys and different modes are very interesting, not just for the clients, but also for the therapists and other people present. On one of the slides it said ” The words are used to set the stage, but the musical elements are used to replicate the feeling,” and I really enjoy how the use of minor and different modes can help facilitate different feelings. I am already working on incorporating and adapting a few different songs for some of the clients whom I think would really enjoy and respond well to these songs. I’ve specifically used the song “All of This Is Me” with a small group of children to work with awareness of self using bean bags for sensory input. I adapted the words to spend more time on each specific body part so the children would be able to hear words about the body part that they are focusing on. This particular group has high sensory needs and can become quickly over-stimulated. The slower pace of the music was definitely something that benefitted the group and the lyrics about different body parts help facilitate learning and awareness in conjunction with movement. One of the individuals in my group has higher language skills and body awareness and he was able to practice using his AAC device to select body parts that he wanted to sing about next. The majority of my clients are older children, but many of them are developmentally in the early childhood stage in most domains, so it is fun to adapt the songs for their specific needs. The interesting modes and accompaniments make it easier to adapt some of the songs for slightly older children and still be age-appropriate.

Kayla Lyles

Participant

I absolutely loved the songs presented in the video – so much so that I used them this past Saturday for a family group that I do once a month at the practice where I work. It was amazing to see the response. The parents were so actively involved in singing “Hold on Tight” and once the bike ride came along it was all smiles and laughter. I also did “All of This Is Me” and just continued with the repetition and the children joined in following my movements and repeating “me”. I’ve also been using a lot more improvisation with the gathering drum and it’s amazing to see the creativity come to life.

Kristina Rio

Participant

Wow, it’s so great to hear you both have gotten some great responses using the music from this weeks content!

Jacquelyn Blankinship

Participant

From my experience so far with some of these songs, I had a couple of things jump out at me:

1. The use of the minor keys/modes was surprising to me! It definitely was not something that I had really thought about before – I feel like so much of the children’s music we hear is solely in a major key. Definitely good food for thought. Since I’m not currently working with children – just preparing to do so – I’m curious if anyone who has used songs in minor keys has gotten any negative feedback from parents? I could see some parents possibly being hesitant because of the whole minor key associated with sadness thing. Just curious…

2. The other thing that really stuck out to me was the theatricality of the songs. It seems to be just a given that kids typically respond well to drama (for me, it seems to be a natural part of being with kids), but this got me thinking about that more pointedly than I have before.

Michelle Russell

Participant

I also enjoyed learning the songs/material from this week. This week is spring vacation for my children, and I am not working. I was unable to try the songs with any of the children that I work with. Conveniently my son is three years old! We sang some of the songs together. He particularly enjoyed “Sit down with Me” and “Where is the music”. I am looking forward to bringing them into my work settings next week.

As the songs are not on my language I tried to adopt some of them with my daughter. She is almost 19 months old and she is very active so songs like Sit down with me and Hold on tight was good. Also I adapt the tempo, and use facial expression and gestures as well. Little exaggeration during the singing is main element 🙂 in my opinion.

Darcy Lipscomb

Participant

I really appreciated the reminder that it is beneficial to explore songs in minor keys and modes. It seems so natural to tend towards the familiar major key sound, so let’s use that to spark curiosity in a “different” sound or reflect a feeling/emotional state. I often use Bonding Songs in my sessions when the client needs sensory stimulation. They are a great way to provide specific sensory input to help the child regulate. I have also used “I Can Move Around” in a session that had children in a few different developmental stages. Looking back on it now, it was a great opportunity for the children to move in whatever way was most appropriate for them at that moment. I’m excited to keep re-singing the songs and adapting them/ incorporating them in to sessions further.

Katie Whipple

Participant

There are several different qualities that I like about the songs presented. First, the words were composed with purpose- I really appreciate the aspect that the language was intentionally used to promote vocabulary that the child may most likely need to use in their day to day life. The second quality that I appreciate are the musical aspects of intentional silences or pauses that gives the child the opportunity to anticipate the next beat or note, have a moment to process or to demonstrate the action being sung. Third, I really enjoyed the dramatic elements that Beth demonstrated and that are key to each song. The way she started the beat of the song while still talking to sort of transition our minds into the song we are about to experience and the way that she exaggerated certain words or stopped quickly. It is those dramatic elements that I think that can help make the song as successful and engaging as possible.

Megan Dewing

Participant

I learned and used a bonding song in on of my sessions this week. The client that I was working with has some sensory needs and enjoys the feeling of deep pressure, but also likes the feeling of safety from being held during interventions. Using these experiences was great for him. I loved the talk about using intentional silences as well. When we were singing the bonding songs, I would leave space for him to prepare for the more “play” part of the song, and have him initiate the play part of the song through tapping or vocalizing.

Anonymous

Inactive

I am so glad you each found a way to try out some of the songs presented. It was wonderful, for me, to hear your experiences and thoughts! Jacquelyn I think your question is an interesting one. I, personally, have not received any negative feedback from using the minor mode. I have actually shared, with the caregivers in my classes, the importance of using different modes and pointed out how the children responded to the music. It would be interesting to see if anyone else has gotten negative feedback.

Jaycie Voorhees

Participant

I used the “Do You Wanna Make Some Music” song in both group and individual sessions and just loved seeing the excitement it brought up! In my individual session I was working on the child making his wants and needs known verbally–making requests–and the song was a nice catalyst as I changed the lyrics to label some of his preferred instruments (i.e. do you wanna play the xylophone? or do you wanna play the drum?) and he was able to respond verbally with his request. In the group setting with about 18-20 kids age 3-5 I used it and it naturally turned into a game where they suggested an instrument then we would act out how to play that instrument. The kids were so eager to give their suggestions and the music was quite captivating for them. In the same group I also used “Will You Come” as a movement intervention and they were well engaged.

I don’t currently work with children younger than age 3 and all of them are functioning at the Control and/or responsibility levels, so I look forward to an opportunity to utilize songs that address needs for younger children or those who are developing in the Awareness, Trust, and/or Independence areas.

Kristina Rio

Participant

It sounds like several of you had great success with singing these songs this week! I loved reading about how you used the songs and any adaptations you made.

Amanda Braden

Participant

While I don’t currently work with young children, I work with a teen girl with a developmental disability whom I would place in the control stage. Due to her lack of interest in the hello song that I’ve tried to use with her in sessions, I decided to adapt the “Good Morning” song to utilize as a hello song with her this week due to the unique melodic contour such as the octave that I thought might spark more interest in her. Also, I felt that the song I had previously used may not be as appropriate for her developmentally. While using the song this week in her session, I got some more direct eye contact from her, and she attempted to sing along with me with fewer prompts than she typically requires at the beginning of sessions. So, I plan to continue to utilize this song as a hello song in future sessions to increase her level of engagement and communication through singing. Thank you so much for sharing your wonderful songs with us!

I haven’t had the opportunity to try these songs out yet, but I loved them! The different musical flavors made me realize how easy it is to get stuck musically, even in improvisations, and that I need to try and get out of that major key box and try some different feels and modes, even with the little ones!

One of the other great things that I feel like I got from these musical selections was permission for myself to put down the guitar. So often I feel I need to be accompanying myself, and I realize that this isn’t always needed or appropriate!

Thanks for these great songs, I have every intention on incorporating them in my practice to help the little ones in the hospital continue to work on their development.

Mary Withington

Participant

I love these songs, and they are so functional, easy to learn, and adaptable to all ages. In my notes I marked specific children with whom I work that I plan to incorporate with them. In particular, the transition music and embedded music were very helpful. And putting songs in a minor key, or a key and tempo that reflects what is coming is something I focused on in my groups this week. I also felt encouraged to make up my own melodies to fit the situation. That is something I hardly ever have done before. For a transition from an active activity to the cool down at the end of my music and movement group with autistic kids ages 5-15 ( yes, in one group together), I slowly strummed the guitar in Em-Am pattern and spontaneously made up a minor song about it’s time to cool down, take a deep breath and stretch. Saw instant attention and focus out of a chaotic feel from the kids. And the energy level dropped and they were calm, and doing the deep breaths and stretches, before singing goodbye. Previously I had not used music to transition to the cool down. What a difference! Next week I plan to use specific songs in my groups. ParticularlyAre You Ready for Music? And Where is the Music? In my preschool general music classes I do. I want to use with my individual 4 year old MT client the songs I Like this Song, and in My Little Hand. He does a lot of drumming and instrument playing, and I think this will encourage vocalizing as well. I noticed last week in my MT group with the older kids and also in my general preschool group, that when I used the song Zum Gali Gali, which is in a minor key and repetitive, that the kids focused and sang extremely well. I had them playing bells, choir chimes, resonator bells, and Orff xylophones at the same time, in D minor. I used an embedded call and response song with my 4 yr old client this week in a minor key, and we made it up together. He sang louder than ever. In my nursing home former life I always adapted the piano music I played to match movements in exercise groups, and have used NMT training that matches music played to support movements.

Anonymous

Inactive

Mary it was wonderful to hear how you have used these songs and experiences and the success you have experienced! Bravo!

Viewing 16 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to content