Sing and learn some of the songs presented in the video. Share with the board your experiences using these songs.

Home Forums Sprouting Melodies Training – June 2015 Week 3 Sing and learn some of the songs presented in the video. Share with the board your experiences using these songs.

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • Author

Meredith Pizzi

Keymaster

Emily Baroody

Participant

I watched the video with the songs earlier today, and then waited several hours before I went to the forum to post. These songs have been stuck in my head all day! I guess this is a positive thing because I want to provide the families in my music groups with songs that are easy to remember and to replicate at home. I really like the wiggly jiggly car song and plan to use it next week. I can see this song being great for use with parents and children in the sense of bonding, but I think my older preschool age groups will also really like this song and its use of body percussion.

Cynthia Cross

Participant

I will be starting groups again next week so I won’t be using these songs yet but here are a few thoughts on them. I really like “I Can Move Around” for my preschools. I like that the directions are not specific because I have some staff that have a hard time letting students be creative with following directions in songs. With this and the ‘tralala’ song I think I will be able to stimulate the students AND subtly encourage the staff to allow the children to simply experience the music. I am also looking forward to experimenting with some minor keys this year – I’ve not done much in minor and I think it will be a nice change for us.

Melaine Pohlman

Participant

Since I’m on vacation, I won’t be using the songs for a bit, but I look forward to using them with my little ones in the EI system. I especially liked the “Wiggly Jiggly Car,” “Sit Down With Me” and “Come With Me.” I liked the reminders about using language in original songs that has functional This is such an important part of the work I do in EI, especially since the goals our therapeutic teams work on are family driven. As well, I liked the syncopation that many of the songs included and the reminder that this type of motion in the rhythm will move the children forward as well.

Molly Moses

Participant

I love the song “Hold on Tight!” I could definitely see using this early on; if a child is wary in a new environment, this song lets them be physically close to their parent or caregiver while engaging in the music. I also liked “Where is the Music?” because I’ve often heard parents say “I can’t sing” during sessions. I think this song would help ease those parents into the music by allowing them to chant rather than sing.

Corie Barkey

Participant

Sorry I posted this in the other section but h here it is again.
      I really enjoyed the bouncy melody of the “Are you Ready for Music” song. That one has been stuck in my head for a few days. I also found it enlightening to use various modes in composing songs for children to break the monotony of the typical children’s song feel especially to support other feelings besides continuously happy/bouncy.

Laura Silvestain

Participant

In a previous practicum, I have been able to use the “Good Morning” song. It was a great way to bring the group together and start the students’ engagement in music. I look forward to incorporating the other songs into my honors project in the fall, and seeing what reactions they elicit.

Kristina Rio

Participant

Feel free to come back on this thread after using some of these songs after vacation and post your experience with them!

Anonymous

Inactive

It is great to see you each are already finding ways to utilize the music in your work.

Mary Carter

Participant

I am not currently working with any clients but after singing through the songs I think the ones I would try out first would be:

“Will You Come” I like that it’s a familiar melody that people would be able to pick up quick and that there are lots of movement opportunities that you can quickly change to suit the movements that the kids are doing.

“All of this is Me” I think this is a great song that parents could take and use at home as they are dressing/ changing their baby.

“Where is the Music” I have not used chants before, but I see how this is a great idea for people who are not yet comfortable using their singing voice.

Mary Kerrigan

Participant

Again as I have mentioned I am not really working with any children right now but I have been practicing with my infant cousin. Myself and my cousin both had a great time with “Wiggly Jiggly Car” and I ended up teaching the song to his mom and he now often will come over to her lap and sit on it and start pulling her hands over him to have her sing it. It’s nice to see their bonding over it because his mom would continually just have me sing to him (which I am the designated song leader within my family because they all believe they cannot sing) but his mom actually is singing the song confidently now and enjoying those moments with her son when he is laughing and also enjoying her creating the musical experience. Another song that we have been having fun singing is “Where is My Face?”. He especially loves peek a boo and hiding and jumping out at you. His older brother who is 5 has even started to catch on to the melody and words and will play this game with him while singing it is really great seeing the family involvement.

Mary Jane Dibble

Participant

This week I plan to use the songs “In My Little Hand” and “I Can Move Around” with my clients. I love the idea that these songs give both structure and freedom for the child to choose to create movement and music on their own.

Brianna McCulloch

Participant

I love Do You Wanna Be My Friend! I have 2 clients (one with ASD and one with Smith-Lemli-Opitz syndrome) who are really working on social skills and appropriate play. I’m excited to adapt these for them–I feel like I can insert other appropriate things to do (aside from find toys and make noise/hold hand and understand) that will work for their age/skill level. I’ll report back after my sessions!

Anonymous

Inactive

Thank you Brianna. Good to hear from you!

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to content