Sing, learn, amd use some songs presented in the video. Share your experiences.

Home Forums Sprouting Melodies Training – April 2016 Week 3 Sing, learn, amd use some songs presented in the video. Share your experiences.

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author

Alexis Ramagnano

Participant

I was finally able to use some of the songs with children! I took my children to meet my friends newborn. I knew that her first child was having a hard time with his new brother taking up so much of Mommy’s time. I decided to try “Hold on tight”. I had my two kids ( ages 5 1/2 and almost 2 yr. old) in my lap and had my friend sit with her oldest ( 2 1/2 yr. old) in her lap. It was amazing to hear how quickly they all caught on and were singing along. It was also great to see my friend getting to enjoy quality time with her eldest and that he was actually receptive to sitting with her. He normally is very high energy and never sits still. I was able to get through the songs three times before he was over it and wanted to get up.
      Her son also has been having issues with throwing things at his parents and his baby brother. There was one point in our visit when he threw one of his trucks. I asked him to hand it to me and we all sat down and I started singing “There’s a Car on my knee” ( substituted truck in of course). I had them all hand the truck off and used their names for each run through of it. Then I had the next child choose a different vehicle ( plane, ambulance) and we did it all again. It was great to see them all singing, making choices, and sharing with each other.
      I do have a question though. How many times has anyone used a single song during one session? I found that they lost interest by the second or third run through. Also, What if the parents seem to be losing interest by the repetitiveness of a group and you notice that their connection with their child is being affected?

I was also finally able to use some of these songs within my practice! I used the song, “Wiggly Jiggly Car” within a children’s library performance, and the children and parents loved it. It was great to see the instinctual response to the anticipatory, “Oh oh” before the play song from the children – their eyes widening, focused attention – and then the joy when we went into the play song. I repeated the song twice for parents to get it under their belts and be able to use at home as well. It was a great experience!

Daniel Henry

Participant

I was able to us “Are you ready for music?” with a group I do with children of with varying diagnosis in East Boston. The tune did a great job of introducing music and, as Elizabeth said in the video, creating a forward momentum into the music. The song was simple enough for parents to easily sing along and participate as well. I was able to incorporate different actions into the lyrics, such as “clap your hands,” “Stomp your feet,” and “do a dance.” I will definitely use it more in future groups!

Charniqua Snell

Participant

I was able to use “Sit down with me” and “Are you ready for music?” with some of the children I see. For the first one, they really liked it and kept singing even after the intervention was over! I usually use another greeting song so when I used “are you ready for music?” they seemed a little confused at first. However, by the end of it they liked it especially since I gave them choices in what they wanted to do in the session. (They were middle school aged and were able to do this) I am definitely going to use these songs more!

Christina Bass

Participant

In playing through “Are You Ready for Music?” I can really picture it being great for some of my younger kiddos to transition to the session. I also have a little guy that loves anything to do with automobiles, he really enjoyed “Wiggly Jiggly Car” and “A Car on My Knee” when I used them in a recent session. I look forward to implementing some more of these new songs as I grow as a music therapist!

Nicole Drozd

Participant

I have only been able to use the “Tra-la-la” song with a child a work with this week. The really cool thing about his song was that after 1-2 times of singing with him was that he began to entrain with the tempo of the song, sit down without a verbal or physical prompt, and even sing the last note of the the last phrase of the song. It is definitely one I will continue to use in our session together.

Anonymous

Inactive

Nicole, I recorded this response. You are complete in this week.

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to content