Sing and learn some of the songs presented in the video. Share with the board your experiences using these songs.

Home Forums Sprouting Melodies Training – September 2016 Week 3 Sing and learn some of the songs presented in the video. Share with the board your experiences using these songs.

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author

Meredith Pizzi

Keymaster

Victoria Fansler

Participant

These songs are really wonderful. They have been my main source of ideas and inspiration as I’ve started working with young children. Seeing them outlined in tandem with developmental stages is a helpful added layer of understanding.

I wanted to discuss use of bonding songs in my settings a bit. I used some bonding songs with a mom’s group and their babies recently. The moms had very positive responses to the experience. In particular, they really enjoyed the “Hold on Tight!” song and found it fit with the developmental stage of their babies. Their transition from the sedative, safe style to the more active and playful style was clear and quite fun to witness. I noticed that although many of the moms were uncomfortable with singing out loud in the group, they were still able to participate with their babies through the motions as others sang. I could see how these songs really help to facilitate attachment and bonding between babies and caregivers. This is huge since many of the children I see in the area are with me because of some disruption in that initial attachment.

My question is, how can we apply the wonderful impact of these bonding songs in settings where the parents are unable to attend? Most of the children I see regularly — especially the babies — are in a daycare setting while their parents work. In a classroom there are generally two or three babies present for every adult, and the teachers are often busy with other things: changing one child’s diaper, setting up for the next activity, etc. How can I help facilitate bonding between adults and babies in a setting like this? Is it appropriate to do bonding songs in which I am paired with a child, even though I am someone they may only see once every week or so?

Anonymous

Inactive

Hi Victoria, great questions. I am going to forward them onto Beth for her insights. Is it possible for the other adults to participate in the sessions? It seems it would be most effective for the regular caretakers to participate in a music making group with the babies. If this is not a possibility, I think it is absolutely appropriate for you to use bonding songs with the child you are paired with. Bonding songs help you to develop a relationship with that child and will have a positive lasting effect on other music experiences you do with that child.

Joanne Van Eycke

Participant

Since I am currently not practicing and home with my 14 month old I was able to play and use the songs with him. I was most drawn to the bonding songs so I wanted to try those out. At first, he wanted nothing to do with them and was drawn to more instrument play. We had fun with “I like this song” and “In my little hand.” Then yesterday we had to run some errands and by the time we were driving home he was particularly cranky and just wanted mommy. None of the usual songs we sing in the car made him happy and then “Hold on tight” popped in my head. He reached for my hand and held it while I sang. He held on the whole time and even swayed a bit in the car seat. This morning when got in the car, he reached up for my hand and swayed so I sang it again. This song changed a potentially stressful drive home into a lovely bonding moment.

Megan Neil

Participant

Unfortunately I have gotten a bit behind and am trying to catch up, therefore I haven’t had a chance to implement many of these songs yet into my practice- however moving forward I am hoping to do so! I am hoping to learn 2 songs a night & implement them when appropriate into my sessions in the near future!

Before taking this class one of my best friends who had taken this course shared the Wiggly Jiggly Car with me! This has been one that I have been using in my parent child music groups at my Early Intervention center. I think it is taking some time to sink in, since this is a brand new song for this site, but the families seem to be responding to it! The parents really seemed to enjoy it and loosen up during the “car ride” and once they got the hang of the song were participating more. I hope to make this song a regular one for my groups so that they can learn it and begin implementing it at home!

Anonymous

Inactive

Megan thank you for your thoughtful response. I am so glad you are enjoying Wiggly Jiggly Car! It has been a favorite of all of the families I work with and my own daughter. A great way to encourage families to use this song is to talk about the difficulties of getting in out of the car seat, high chair, bath, etc. This song can be adapted in many ways to help ease the tension that, many times happens, with transition. Many times families think they have to “replicate” the music exactly how we do it in a class or session. However, many families have minimal time to do music with their child, so using music in their every day life is an easy and productive way to add it to their day.

Courtney Kjaldgaard

Participant

I have been a bit behind as well with the course and so I have not had a chance yet to use the songs with any of my clients. I have tested out one of the songs with my 18-month old niece though; we sang “Are You Ready For Music?” and she wanted to sing it about 8 times in a row!!

I am hoping to learn a few of the songs and use them in the baby/parent group that I currently offer next week.

Tori Clark

Participant

I appreciate the importance of the gathering songs. There’s something calming almost sacred about coming in from the hustle and bustle of a busy morning (getting kids dressed, off to school, etc.) where you’re struggling to keep up with the pace of life, and then entering a music class, where the pace is much steadier and child-focused. There is such warmth to the “Good Morning to You” song, and it captivates the child’s attention and gives a sense of calm to the room. I also enjoyed “Hold On Tight!” for its use of fermata and glissando effects. I was reminded in the book and in the video that silence is just as valuable in music as pitches are. I easily forget to use silence as a musical element in my “toolbox” but it is so useful to build anticipation of musical structure and to give children opportunities to absorb the multiple sensory experiences they are receiving through us.

Debrah Evans

Participant

Unfortunately, I don’t get the opportunity to interact with kids group often enough where I have had a chance to use these songs. Because I have only interacted with them once since week 3 of training, I haven’t been able to put these songs into practice yet, but I look forward to using them going forward. I have been trying to incorporate the elements that were discussed in creating those songs into my practice with the children including the use of robust strong rhythm with a clear structure for gathering and movement, the use of the octave interval as a welcoming interval that draws attention. I’ve really enjoyed using the Good morning to you song throughout my entire practice.

I love hearing the stories of the use of Wiggly Jiggly Car for transitions and I can’t wait to use that song on my own.

Janet Buchanan

Participant

What wonderful songs! I really appreciated hearing the transition songs, having seen just how helpful they can be in transitioning to and from music time. “Are You Ready for Music?” in particular is one that I can’t wait to use–the rhythm kind of pulls you in and the questions in the lyrics really invite you in to have some fun.

Although the songs are really geared for children, I’ve gotten to use the concept of embedded songs with some of the adults at my internship. Responding in the moment to our clients and supporting musically what they do has gotten some great engagement from them, and I’m really looking forward to doing this with children too!!

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to content