Sprouting Melodies 2 Framework

Home Forums Sprouting Melodies – June 2021 Week 7 Sprouting Melodies 2 Framework

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author

Anonymous

Inactive

Sprouting Melodies 2 Framework:

• Use 5 words to describe the music experiences in Sprouting Melodies 2.
      • Write 5 sentences you can use when speaking with parents about musical responses of children in SM 2.
      • Create a plan for songs and music experiences to use in a Sprouting Melodies 2 session

Samantha Springer

Participant

5 words to describe the music experiences in SM2:
      In addition to the words they provided, I would add energetic, flexible, exciting, anticipation, and flowing.

5 sentences I would use when speaking with parents:
      1) When a child wants to explore the guitar, I would say something along the lines of: “It’s completely fine that they are playing the guitar with me! They are exploring new sounds and instruments!”
      2) When your child starts to vocalize, they’re matching the pitch with me, which is a great first step in expressive communication!
      3) Children may move in and out of the group freely and may not participate in a musical experience for the entire time; this is completely normal for their age!
      4) Children at this age may hold onto two or three maracas and it’s normal for them not to shake it right away; however, with time, they’ll start to shake it as they grow and learn!
      5) A child may start to move their bodies to the beat of the music by clapping their hands or stomping the feet as they get older (18 months).

Plan for Songs and Music Experiences:
      To implement a Sprouting Melodies 2 session, I might implement the following songs/experiences.

Greeting/Gathering Song: I would use this song at the start of the session and would use my own “Hello Song” that I wrote. I’d focus on bringing the musical qualities out and adding more excitement such as body movements that end in sitting down.

Bonding Songs: I LOVE the “Wiggly, Jiggly Car” song by Elizabeth Schwartz, LCAT, MT-BC so I would love to use this one in a Sprouting Melodies 2 session.

Song About Me: Rachel Rambach, MM, MT-BC has a fantastic song called “Put the Scarf on Your…” that I’ve adapted to fit into this category. I also would use “Can You See Me?” because I know that kids love putting the scarf on their head as well as on other people’s heads.

Instrument Songs: I love the “Sit With Me and Shake” song by Meredith Roman Pizzi, MT-BC so I would try and implement that song. Otherwise, I have written several songs or adapted songs that would fit into this category for the maracas or the gathering drum. I love incorporating the gathering drum to encourage social interaction among the children.

Movement Songs: I also enjoyed the song by Meredith Roman Pizzi, MT-BC called “March with My Baby.” I think this song is great to be used to establish a bond between the parents and child and once the child is old enough to start implementing the movements themselves, it can great for channeling energy and to build fine and gross motor movement.

Goodbye: I would probably use a goodbye song that stated how music time is finished and I’ll see them again real soon! I love the idea of singing “Thank You Very Much” by Elizabeth K. Schwartz, LCAT, MT-BC while children and families are leaving to further encourage social interaction.

Thanks for reading!

Use 5 words to describe the music experiences in Sprouting Melodies 2: Playful, Exploration, Spontaneous, Energy, and Surprize

Five sentences you can use when speaking with parents about musical responses of children in SM 2:
      1. “It’s O.K. they are moving. We don’t want to make them stop.”
      2. “Play is the work of children.”
      3. “Yes! They are singing it at home!”
      4. “They are watching here and then practicing it at home!”
      5. “They will do it here when they are ready.”

Create a plan for songs and music experiences to use in a Sprouting Melodies 2 session: This would be a rough outline of the session due to the needs of the group on that particular day.

1. Gathering/Greeting Songs
      I would start with a gathering song such as Hey! Hey! Come and Play! E.K. Schwartz until most of the adults and children
      are gathered together and have been greeted.

2. Bonding Songs
      Wiggly Jiggly Car E.K. Schwartz

3. Songs About Me
      Can You See Me? E.K. Schwartz with therapist playing open fifth on xylophone
      -Focusing on surprize, concept of me, contour of melody, and possibly call and response

4. Instrument Songs
      All Night! All Day! Adapted by E.K. Schwartz with a large gathering drum for those children wanting to play together and
      large frame drums for those not ready for that closeness.

If another instrument song is needed: In My Little Hand by E. K. Schwartz with maracas

5. Movement Songs
      March with My Baby with therapist playing large frame drum with mallet while marching in a large children with parents
      holding children

6. Goodbye
      Thank You Very Much by E.K. Schwartz followed with Music Time is Over by E.K. Schwartz to reinforce that music time is
      over and its time to transition to leaving.

Maria Ramey

Participant

Use 5 words to describe the music experiences in Sprouting Melodies 2:
      Playful, Observing, Spontaneous, Energetic, Exploring

Write 5 sentences you can use when speaking with parents about musical responses of children in SM 2.
      1. “Moving is good! Let’s let them continue to move.”
      2. “I love that he is exploring and reaching out for my guitar.”
      3. “She’s really watching closely! She’ll join in when she’s ready.”
      4. “Great exploration and playfulness – it’s ok to get to know the instrument.”
      5. “He can take a break, no problem. He’s still hearing and taking it in!”

Create a plan for songs and music experiences to use in a Sprouting Melodies 2 session
      Gather: Good Morning
      Bonding Time: Wiggly Jiggly Car
      Songs About Me: Just Like Me!
      Instruments: Listen to the Sound of My Drum
      Movement:I Feel the Beat
      Cooldown and Goodbye: My own Thank you and goodbye song

Favor Chujor

Participant

Use 5 words to describe the music experiences in Sprouting Melodies 2.
      Exploration, intentional, joyful, anticipation, growth

Write 5 sentences you can use when speaking with parents about musical responses of children in SM 2.
      1. “Look how they’re starting to sign for ‘more’!”
      2. “It’s okay if the instrument goes in their mouth, they’re just exploring the instrument.”
      3. “They can play along whenever they’re ready, listening is just as beneficial as playing.”
      4. “Look how they’re playing a steady beat!”
      5. “Your child just matched my pitch! That is the beginnings of expressive language development!”

Create a plan for songs and music experiences to use in a Sprouting Melodies 2 session
      It’s Time to Make Some Music, Hello Everybody, Sit and Shake With Me, We’ll Be Marching To the Music, There Are Colors/Where Is My Face?, Thank You/Goodbye

Amy Berggren

Participant

1. Exciting, exploration, playful, engaging, motivating
      2. “It’s ok if they put the instrument in their mouth, they are exploring and we will clean it later!”; “They don’t have to play their instrument, they might just be taking in the music/environment”; “I love how much they are moving around the room!”; “Listen to how they are vocalizing, they are matching my pitch!”; “They are doing so well exploring their instrument”
      3. Come Gather Together, Hold on Tight, Just Like Me, Dancing in the Middle, March With My Baby, Goodbye, Thank You Very Much

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to content