Sprouting Melodies 2

Home Forums Sprouting Melodies Training – January 2013 Week 7 Sprouting Melodies 2

Viewing 18 reply threads
  • Author

Elizabeth Schwartz

Keymaster

• Share your thoughts with the board on how much stimulation is enough? How much stimulation is too much?
      • Use 5 words to describe the music experiences in Sprouting Melodies 2.
      • Write 5 sentences you can use when speaking with parents about musical responses of children in SM 2.
      • Create a plan for songs and music experiences to use in a Sprouting Melodies 2 session.

Laura Montesano

Participant

How much stimulation is enough and how much is too much, I think assessing this takes gentle skill, and when exploring next steps, such as new timbres it can be a bit of a balancing act at this age. You want to create a rich and engaging musical experience, but not too much that is going to startle or overwhelm them. I think the point made about reflecting their energy with a calmness was nicely put, being authentic and present with the children will support matching what they need. Noise and excitement just for the sake of being that way will be too over stimulating, having a joyful yet gentle calmness that’s engaging will provide a better atmosphere for appropriate engagement.

5 words: playful, energy, spontaneous, surprise (that can be anticipated), and observation.

5 sentences: “Yes he has the maraca in his mouth, but did you see, when the music stopped he took it out of his mouth, and when the music started again he put it back in his mouth, he’s responding to the music, recognizing a change within the music.” “It’s ok that she’s not putting her hands up in the air when we put our hands up in the air, we are providing music choices for her, she is exploring.” ” Did you notice this week she really started to move the maraca, it was very slow, but she is starting to play.” “Honestly I’m not that surprised that you hear him singing songs at home, even though he’s often quieter here during our group, that’s actually quite typical. When he is here, he is watching and observing, taking it all in, he is processing it all, he’s actually working pretty hard.” “It’s ok if he’s not completely engaged right now. We don’t expect children to do everything we are doing for 45 mins. straight, it’s an unreasonable expectation. It’s fine.”

Plan: I would follow the one outlined here to start with, beginning with, “Hey Hey Come and Play” as the gathering song, then the ever popular “Wiggly Jiggly” for a bonding song, followed by “Can you See See See” for a song about me, then for an instrument song ” Sit with me and shake”, for some movement I’d get everyone up with “March with my Baby”, or even use the scarves with “Pick your hands up High” leading into ” Where oh where is my Face” and then ending with the goodbye song and the thank you song, shaking hands goodbye to support that transition out of the room.

Wei Ming Loi

Participant

How much stimulation is enough? How much is too much?
      I feel that there is a need to observe that the child’s arousal while we vary the timbre, tempo and dynamics in the songs. The child should be sitting upright, focusing on the caregiver or the therapist in the process, if too little stimulation is given, child might be lying down, leaning against caregiver not wanting to move, yawning etc. Signs of over stimulation can be a child who is overactive and is everywhere in the room or a child that is scared and clinging onto caregiver or screaming/crying etc.

5 words: Fun, energy, surprises, exploration, observation

5 sentences:
      1) He can touch the guitar, look at how he is exploring it.
      2) Let’s not stop him from playing physically but give him some time to respond to it.
      3) It’s ok that he is not following the actions, he is learning as he observes.
      4) Mouthing is part of learning, it’s ok as long as the instrument is clean.
      5) Look at how he takes the maracas out of the mouth as we stop. He is really listening.

Plan:
      I might start with a gentle hello first building up in dynamics and tempo with a gathering song. After the gathering song, I’ll build in a duet activity of a lap song/bonding song like wiggly, jiggly car. After the duet episode, I might do a little instrument song but with gathering together in mind. e.g. dancing in the middle. Then as they are all excited to do a movement song of perhaps Can you Follow? Thereafter, I will play down with the dynamics and tempo with a slow “Just like me” and if possible to have caregivers take another child in facilitating the ‘me’ action to whichever child that is nearer to him/her.
      Finally I will end with the goodbye song.

Angie Carter

Participant

Constant assessment is required when monitoring stimulation. At “just right”, I am looking for the child who is engaged and watching their caretaker, other parents or the therapist in the room. They are able to participate through action and/or engaged observation and check back in with adults. They alt to”surprise”, but do not cry, startle or fear it. They are able to follow transitions between tasks with musical prompting.

I would know a child is over stimulated if they demonstrate a startle response followed by a cry. Many of my children I would need to monitor flapping hands and arms, mechanical giggle, and running and jumping in unorganized fashion. Other children may shut down, crawl in caretaker’s lap or move to corner in the room. When I assess these behaviors I would alter the timbre of my voice and adapt the lessons plan if needed for the day. Modifying volume and tempo would also be considered to bring children to an organized body and mind. Check the posture as well for firm feet!

5 words: playful, spontaneous, engaging, explorative, careful

5 sentences:
      1. Place your child on your lap. Have the child’s feet touch firmly on the floor to help organize him. To help him stomp, hold his ankles and move up and down, making sure toes touch when helping him stomp.
      2. Your child does not have to do the exact movement we are asking for. This is about musical choices.
      3. It is ok for your child to move away from you during the class. He is exploring his environment and becoming more independent.
      4. How your child plays the maraca will change over time. She may not start by shaking it. Did you notice this week she really started to move the maraca, it was very slow, but she is starting to play
      5. The maraca may be in his mouth, but did you see, when the music stopped he took it out of his mouth, and when the music started again he put it back in his mouth. He is recognizing a change within the music.

Plan:
      Gathering song: 2 word Hello Song. I really enjoyed the idea of simplicity. “Hey Hey Come and Play”. I’ve incorproated this into each my sessions now.
      Bonding Songs: Hold on Tight and Wiggly Jiggly
      Songs about me: Just Like me and All of This is Me
      Instrument Songs: Sit with Me and Shake, My shake song
      Movement Songs: March with My Baby, Scarf Song
      Gathering Drum to bring everyone back for Goodbye
      Goodbye: My Good Bye song, Music Time is Over, Thank you Very Much for transition out

Alyssa Kereki

Participant

Stimulation: I think that every group will have a different dynamic and will need different levels of stimulation. Utilizing tempo changes like the accelerandos that Elizabeth demonstrated may help the music therapist test out where the group is and how much stimulation they need. I have noticed when working with my preschoolers that musical accompaniment works better with simpler songs that repeat lyrics because the child can handle processing the simple lyrics and the accompaniment simutaneously. I am typically cautious of adding too many musical “levels” because the kids become distracted and possibly overstimulated. Adjusting the flow of the session is another great way to monitor stimulation needs and add more or less stimulation throughout based on the group’s response.

5 words: silly, animated, comfortable, dynamic, supportive

5 sentences: If your child is watching others instead of participating, he/she is observing what is happening and learning from watching others. If your child is wandering around the group, it is because he/she trusts that you are still there and feels safe enough to explore independently. When doing movements with their feet, help your child place the entire sole of their foot on the ground for optimum stimulation and learning. Having their feet placed firmly on the ground helps children conceptualize their position in space. It is important to notice the small steps that your child is making in the class, and I will make sure to point this progress out to you when I see it.

Plan: I would use a Hello Song that welcomed each child individually, focusing on name recognition and their concept of self. A gathering song might work well before and after the Hello Song to help the babies start engaging in the group. I would start with a more relaxed gathering song to help them feel safe in the room and then increase the energy and “musical surprises”. If there is time at the beginning of the group, it would be fun to have all of the instruments in a large tub and sing an instrument exploration song as you and the babies pull out the instruments. I loved how Elizabeth incorporated a variety of musical sound effects, and I would strive to utilize this technique throughout the session. “Wiggly Jiggly Car” is a tough bonding song to top, so I think I would work on creating a second bonding song based on how the babies respond to that one. The “Songs About Me” portion could serve as an opportunity to incorporate children’s names and stress their similarities (ex.- John has a nose and Susie has a nose!). The instrument and movement songs could probably be more upbeat with lots of musical surprises, and a slow movement song with scarves would make a nice transition to the Goodbye Song.

Amy DiLabio

Participant

Stimulation: I think that it is important to be observing facial expressions and body language of the child. It can be a tough balance making sure that the activity is stimulating enough for the all of the children, yet not too overwhelming as well. I must agree that being present in the music and internally calm and sure of tempo can facilitate trust and security. A calm voice and gentle smile can go a long way with a startled young child. In addition,it is important to be observing the group as a whole to insure that the children are engaged with the caregiver or the therapist in relation to the music.

5 words: fun, energetic, safe, silly,and exciting

Amy DiLabio

Participant

5 Sentences:
      * Children learn by observing and practicing what they have observed.
      * Your Child may not appear to be actively participating in the class, but really they are taking it all in and observing their surrounds. When they are home or in the car you may notice that your child will sing or act out the songs we sang and danced to in class.
      * It is OK if your child moves in and out of the activity during the music. This is just part of their development of trust.
      * While bouncing during a lap dance you may notice that your child is bouncing at a different tempo. Try to match their tempo while bouncing.
      * Children this age still sometimes explore their world by mouthing things. If your child puts an instrument in their mouth, it is OK. Just put it into the “clean me” basket to be cleaned before its use again.

Plan: Gathering Song: Hello song with names and perhaps Are you ready for Music song.Bonding songs: Horsey, Carry Me, Jingle Up. Jingle Down. Instrument Songs:In My Little Hand,I Like This Song. Movements Songs: March with My Baby,As Big as Big can Be. Goodbye song: Now It’s time to say Goodbye

Cindy Humphreys

Participant

I think assessing how much stimulation depends on the group and how long you have been together. It is something we as music therapists are always observing and making changes accordingly. As you mentioned in the video, a calm and child friendly presence is one of the most important qualities to have, so both children and adults feel that they can approach you.

Five words to describe SM2 are fun, exploring, free, observing, affirming

Five sentences: 1. Children this age take about 3 seconds to respond, so when we sing a song to encourage a response, we will make sure to give the child enough time to process and respond. 2. It is okay if your child is in and out of the music circle, he is becoming more independent in his exploration. 3. We want to encourage independence, so try placing your child on your lap looking at the others in the circle for the lap ride. 4. Your child may look like they are not participating, but she is observing and learning. You might see of hear her singing some of our songs later on the car ride home. 5. You as the parent are the most important model for your child. He is watching you and learning how to shake the maraca.

Plan: I like to begin a group with a gathering song I call “Come Together.” It is a transition song that brings everyone to the circle area. Then a hello song naming each child. Moving to the bonding songs of ” Wiggly Jiggly Car” and “Horsey Carry Me.” I would then transition into a song “All About Me” that identifies body parts. Thinking about the flow of tempo and energy, I would move into an instrument song “Dancing In The Middle.” A movement song “The Colors are Dancing” with scarves and “Pick Your Hand Up High” can move into a slower pace and dynamic level as we prepare to end the session. A goodbye song with each child’s name ends the session.

Elizabeth Schwartz

Keymaster

Wonderful ideas, everyone! I love the way that you take the outlines of the music and have already begun to think about how to make it personal to you and to your groups. That is what makes music therapists in early childhood so special!

Lisa Spall

Participant

I think you ladies got it right. Presence, energy level, awareness. All of these are qualities to keep an eye out for to keep the stimulation just right. Watch out for startling and stay aware of your dynamics.

5 Words: energy, exploration, awareness, anticipation, and independence

I’m thinking of some of my experiences for some good sayings.. ah, how many times there have been a bunch of little ones surrounding me balancing with their hands on the guitar or my shoulders, or when a few of them are surrounding the instrument bucket until it just gets turned over – then it’s a party!

1. They’re just beginning to explore independence and trust, it’s okay to crawl around the room and explore the people and instruments. Don’t worry, it’s a great sign that they feel safe and comfortable enough to explore!
      2. (During a lap song) It’s okay to really let them swing a little when you rock them back and forth. Grab them low on the hips and let them instinctively reach out as they move from side to side. We’re looking for that “catch yourself” reflex as they develop.
      3. (During a movement song) Really let those feet plant on the floor. Don’t be afraid, you won’t hurt them. A solid stomp is grounding, and helps in organizing motor planning.
      4. (During an instrument song) Look at how he’s transferring the maraca from one hand to the other – and how he watches his hands as he does it. “Look at what my hands can do mom!” That’s a big accomplishment!
      5. Even though these kiddos are a little older now, they’re still working on understanding object permanence. If something was hidden before, “oh no, it’s gone!” but now they’re beginning to understand that it doesn’t need to be seen to be there! This great game with the translucent scarves helps them continue to build that skill and trust.

Plan:
      1. Gathering song (leave a variety of instruments out to be explored, give them all drums)
      2. Hello song
      3. Clapping, patting, stomping
      4. Lap ride (looove the little red wagon or yellow school bus songs)
      5. Instrument song with maracas
      6. Marching (let them keep the maracas to hold while the parents march with them)
      7. Scarf song or an animal song with props, cool down
      8. Goodbye song

Tamara Strom

Participant

I think one can assess stimulation by whether or not the child is actively engaged and enjoying themselves, as opposed to being startled or tearful and agitated from overstimulation. That can be assessed by observing the children’s facial expressions and body language. I agree that if we can be playful in a warm and authentic way that is not over the top, and set up expectations for the kids, (such as the anticipated surprise), they will likely engage with our playful energy.

5 words: playful, exploratory, energetic, dynamic, independent

5 sentences:

1. It is ok if your child is wondering around the space. They are developing independence, and it is great that they feel comfortable enough to explore the space on their own.
      2. Even though it may look like your child is not engaged and participating, they are absorbing and processing the experience, and will likely sing the songs or imitate the movements at home.
      3. It is ok if your child isn’t following exact directions in the song. The purpose of the activity is to offer an opportunity to explore musical choices.
      4. Did you notice that your child took the instument out of his/mouth in resonse to the music? This demonstrates a developmental step in their response to the music.
      5. When you help your child to jump, try to make sure their feet land firmly planted and flat on the floor to ground them in the experience and help them organize their body awareness.

Plan:

Hey hey come and play
      Hello song to acknowledge each child by name
      Wiggly jiggly car
      Can you see me?
      Come with me and play
      Instument song- when I worked in EI, I did a “shake your maracas” song to the tune of La Cucaracha (sp??), that incorporated different movements, shake and stop, and different sounds (la, la, la…or substitute any sound)
      Scarf song- pick your hands up to the sky
      Goodbye
      Thank you song with handshaking

Meredith Pizzi

Great Contributions everyone! I want to reiterate the importance of the gathering songs and body movement songs. The little ones love doing the clapping, patting knees and stamping feet at this age, and with consistent repetition of songs each week, they are able to practice, master and anticipate the movements. Be sure when you plan on a gathering song, you think through which one you would do for this particular age group.
      There are lots of these songs out there. We use Gather Round most often, but sometimes it’s the Wind is Blowing it’s cold outside, Brr, Brr.. or Come and Sit with Me, or other similar songs.

If you don’t already have an age appropriate song like this in your repetoire, it would be good to learn some more! Beth has lots of great songs in her song book, and if you don’t already have it, you can get it through Raisingharmony.com/shop and my team of music therapists are Roman Music Therapy Services just recorded our first full length CD in November and we have a couple of these songs on there too. You can get a copy of the cd at romanmusictherapy.com/buygatherround. And of course, you can use other songs as well, just remember back to the conversation about music and song structures in early childhood development. In the Sprouting Melodies Provider online forum, we are setting up a song upload feature so that we can share our songs with each other to always increase our song options!

Robin Jacobs

Participant

By observing the interactions and attentiveness of the children you will know if you should add more stimulation, either by timbre, volume, movement or use of instruments or decrease the amount of stimulation in your sessions. This will be an ongoing assessment during the session.

Playful, energetic, exploring, independence, connecting

It’s perfectly fine for your child to “just’ observe. That is how they learn at this stage. It’s okay and safe for your child to move around this room. They will come back to you. This is how they are developing some independence. You will notice at times the end of a phrase is not sung/chanted right away. This is to give the child an opportunity to process the information and to respond. When your child is in your lap and kicking their feet to the music, help them to stamp the bottom of their feet firmly on the ground, to help organize the information/music coming in.

Hello song – Hey hey Come and Play – Can you see me? – instrument song changing tempo, dynamics, instruments in different spaces – move on with a standing movement song – bring energy back down with a bonding lullaby song on the floor and end with a goodbye song that includes each individual’s name and thanks them for making music today.

Elizabeth Schwartz

Keymaster

I often say “Your child just has to be, they don’t need to do.”

Robin Jacobs

Participant

Great Saying Beth! I think I’ll remind myself of that saying for my own use during stressful times or when I feel off-center!

Leigh Giglio

Participant

Stimulation: I think that if the child feels comfortable and is engaged in the setting, either passive or active, then your stimulation is enough. Too much would be that the kids are reacting to the tempo, timbre in a scared (crying, trying to get to a safe person) or overactive way (running uncontroably, repetative movement/motion, etc.).

5 words: fun, adventerous, exploring, learning, observing

5 sentences: *It’s okay if your child touches my guitar. S/He is exploring and that’s okay. *Try having your child face out so s/he can see their other friends in the room! *When teaching your babay to jump, make sure that the childs heels are not hitting the ground. You want them to plant their feet firmly on the ground when they land. *You are doing great as a parent. Look at how happy she is. She is now comfortable enough to go out and explore on her own. That is great! *One more time for giggles and laughs…we are having so much fun!

Session Plan:
      1. Welcome parents and chidlren as they arrive. Have name tags available for all to wear. Have instruments in the middle of the circle for exploration with some upbeat music playing in the background. Encourage and invite parents and chidlren to find their favorite!
      2. Hello/Gathering songs: Hey, Hey Come and Play and then into Hello, Everybody, Hello (can insert child and parents names instead of everybody)
      3. Body Percussion songs: I can clap my hands….change to other motions with different body parts
      4. Lap ride/tickle time: Hold on tight
      5. Instrument Play: Dancing in the middle
      6. Gross Motor Movement: Will You Come?
      7. Cool Down: 5 Little Ducks book
      8. Goodbye: Thank You

Elizabeth Schwartz

Keymaster

Love the “One more time for giggles and laughs”!
      Here is a little chant that I don’t think we did on the video:

All the little duckies
      Go marching in a row
      Widdle, waddle, widdle, waddle
      To and fro
      Widdle, waddle, widdle, waddle
      Watch Me Go!

Leigh Giglio

Participant

I love that Beth! That would be great when I take my preschoolers back and forth from their classroom to mine and back to theirs! During “hallway time” I have incorporated the “Are You Ready for Music” with inserting some of the things planned for that mornings class as we are going to the music classroom. They love it! Thanks for all of your little tid-bits…they are great!

Elizabeth Schwartz

Keymaster

Great! The part I didn’t add in the Duckie song: After ‘Watch me go’ I hold up my hand and say “Whoa!’ They all stop and wait, we look around, and then count ‘ready, set, go’ and do the song all over again.

I wrote this little piece because I got so tired of hearing our day care staff saying “Get back in line. No come back here. Pay attention” 😉

The staff might not use the songs all the time, but they sure do when I am around.
      And they move the kids from one place to another so much easier, more independently and more pleasantly!

Viewing 18 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to content