Create a Sprouting Melodies Family Sprouts Framework

Home Forums Sprouting Melodies – January 2022 Week 8 Create a Sprouting Melodies Family Sprouts Framework

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author

Anonymous

Inactive

Sprouting Melodies Family Sprouts Framework

• Use 5 words to describe the music experiences in Family Sprouts
      • Create a plan for songs and music experiences to use in Family Sprouts

Aliza Llovet

Participant

Five Words: Playful, Flexible, Village, Happy, Busy

Framework:
      During check in procedure: have recorded music play and have some instruments out on floor for family to get comfortable with space through exploration. Hello/Gathering: Sing hello and welcome every child by name. The caregiver can bring attention to when it’s their child’s turn. Bonding: Can adjust to group’s activity level Jingle Up, Jingle Down or Row It Faster. Songs About Me: This may include “All of this is Me” or “That all makes up me” giving flexibility to have the older kids stand up and move. Movement: You can further continue this as much as is needed by your group since a mix of ages there’s likely or “Can You Follow” to be different motor abilities can be done with “I Can Move Around” Instrument Song: You could use “You and Me Makes We” to bring the families back together to get instruments and encourage play with songs like “Music is the Way.” Cool Down: Could be a book like Chicka Chicka Boom Boom where could have drum in the center for all to hit and can have turns to pull letters off felt tree. Good bye: Have this set aside time to prepare children for the transition to leave. Having the same good bye song helps strengthen that routine

Anne Reed

Participant

Five words: separating, active, emotional, emerging self, creative

Have instrumental music playing in the background lightly as the participants settle in.
      Start with a gathering song- I would check out the energy level of the group. If the children are already moving about I would use a little “Iso principle” with the group starting actively and then slowly slow it down to sit. I would change the words of the song “Sit Down with Me” to match (March with me, walk with me, big steps with me, sit with me). Once on the floor move into the bonding song. Have the child sit facing the parent. Adapt the “Little Red Wagon” bumping up and down, hold on tight (hold each other’s arms while bouncing) turning the corners( leaning side to side), time to get out of my little red wagon (bend knees while keeping the child on top of your knees) After bonding move to songs about me- incorporate a book at this point that teaches body awareness and can be chanted (Dr. Seuss has several body part books you can use) If doing the nose book use your arms to make long noses, bring in some plastic glasses the kids can wear, etc. Move to the instruments, I have a song called the “Instrument Rumba” this is fun and can incorporate different instruments. If the children are holding more than one instrument you can see if they play only the instrument they hear in the song. Move into the movement song playing on a frame drum. Do “The Freeze” by Greg and Steve, see if the children can stop their movements. On the final freeze, have the parents select and start playing a resonator bell (you placed next to them when they were settling in) along with you. Sing “Music is the Way” using the ISO principle again, gradually move the children back to their parents. Once everyone is gathered in (or not), sing good bye.

Amy Brownell

Participant

Words
      Support, Cooperation, Connections, Helping, Sharing

Plan
      Arrange instruments in a circle on the floor of the room while playing recorded music while the families enter and the children explore the instruments.
      Gathering/Greeting Song – Sing ‘Come and Join the Circle’ while patting the beat and encouraging the families to join the circle.
      Songs About Me/Body Percussion – Sing ‘All of this is Me’ and have the older children point out the body parts on the younger children. Also sing the song fast a few times to give the older children a challenge.
      Lap Ride/Bonding Song – Have the older children sit close to the adults on their laps with the babies on the laps out further away and sing ‘Wiggly Jiggly Car.’ The older children can help hold the babies and hug them and sway with them during the song.
      Instrument Song – Sing ‘Music is the Way’ while playing resonator bells. The older children can help play the bells while the adults play shakers with the younger children.
      Movement Song – Sing ‘I Can Move Around’ and allow the older children to be more independent in the movements while the adults dance with the younger children.
      Cool Down – Read and sing ‘From Head to Toe’ by Eric Carle and allow the older children to help hold the book and turn the pages to show the younger children.
      Goodbye – Sing ‘It’s Time to Say Goodbye’ with scarf movements.

Emily Fabian

Participant

WORDS: Sharing, Connecting, Supporting, Helping, and Individuality

PLAN: GATHERING/GREETING: Sing “come on let’s make some music” while children and caregivers are gathering in the circle. BONDING: Sing “jiggle up, jiggle down”. Guide children through the song, encouraging them to play along with other’s in the group. SONGS ABOUT ME: Sing “who’s that”. Take a verse for each child and let the rest of the group sing along, learning each other’s names. INSTRUMENTS: Sing “music the way”. Let children choose instruments, helping those still working on grasp with caregivers in assistance. MOVEMENT: Sing “can you follow me”. Therapist asks the group to march (or carry and bounce) behind her around the room to the music. Allow for turn taking with different line leaders. GOODBYE: Sing “music time is over”.

Jessica Gelineau

Participant

Experiences in Family Sprouts are busy, supportive, joyful, cooperative and individual.
      Plan for Family Sprouts:
      Gathering: Allow for instrument play and exploration. Set the room up for success, and make sure there are instruments that will appeal to all ages.
      Bonding: Sing Wiggly Jiggly Car. Encourage parents/ caregivers to sit younger children on their lap. Encourage older children/ siblings to model bouncing a stuffed animal or doll on their lap!
      Songs About Me: Sing All of Me. Encourage children to point to body parts and themselves throughout the song. Encourage older children to help younger siblings point to their body parts and model this.
      Instrument: Sing Dancing In the Middle while dancing with scarves. Call on each child to come to the middle to choose a scarf color, and then dance.
      Movement: Sing I Can Move Around with wrist bells. Allow children to make choices with the bells placing them on their wrists, ankles or holding the bells.
      Goodbye: Sing It’s Time to Say Goodbye to group members.

Hannah Floyd

Participant

Words: Sharing, Helping, Connection, Support, Active

PLAN: GATHERING: Before starting the hello song, I would have the room have different instruments that the children can explore. Then, once it was time for the hello song, I would have them join in a circle, singing hello and welcoming every kid by name. BONDING: Sing Jiggle Up, Jiggle Down, having the children interact with eachother along with their parents. SONGS ABOUT ME: Using the song All Of Me, encourage children to point to body parts, themselves, and other children throughout the song. INSTRUMENTS: Have children choose instruments to play during the song Music the Way. MOVEMENT: Have the kids march around and sing the song “Can You Follow Me”.
      GOODBYE: Sing goodbye to the group members.

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to content