Sprouting Melodies Foundations

Home Forums Sprouting Melodies Training – January 2013 Week 5 Sprouting Melodies Foundations

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • Author

Elizabeth Schwartz

Keymaster

• What value do music therapists bring to families of  young children? Post your thoughts and comments to the board. Reply to the  contributions of the group.

Laura Montesano

Participant

Hi,
      I feel that we as music therapists, even when we work with groups, we are providing an individualized program, we have an understanding of child development and obviously music , so we can provide the musical interventions to meet the child’s needs. We tune in to each each – we meet that “music child” as Nordoff-Robbins would say. I think parents feel that special attention toward their child and child (and adult) within the group. I think parents really feel supported, like they are understood without judgment- that they are accepted- as a family- no matter where they or coming from or what their situation may be.

I believe that families are aware of the excitement and passion we have about our work- about the music and who we get to share it with. They are sensitive to our skill in how to use music effectively.

Angie Carter

Participant

This a great question for me. I often struggle with this and that is part of the reason I was drawn to this course. I realized during Conference that I have not been considering what I have to offer as a music therapist.

As a music therapist, I personally, have a strong background in child development, both typical and atypical. I use music to facilitate change and build skills. I am confident in communicating with parents about skills development and sharing positive observations in their interactions with their child. I am able to assess strengths and skills to anticipate.

Laura makes a great observation in noting our ability to individualize a group setting and give each parent and child a personal experience.

Meredith Pizzi

Angie, Thanks for recognizing and acknowledging your own reluctance to recognize your strengths and value as a music therapist. I feel passionately that the value of our services is extremely high! When we reflect that in our how we communicate about our services, families will be drawn to us! But we have to believe it ourselves!

Amy DiLabio

Participant

This has been a good exercise for me because I too struggle to understand my value as a music therapist offering music classes to young children and their families. However as I have been reflecting on the value I bring I can acknowledge that what I have to offer as a MT is unique and valuable. Personally, I bring my experience as a parent who has seen first hand the benefit of music in my children’s development . My knowledge of child development and musical development offers a lot of opportunities for parent education as well as developing a supportive program for the over all development of the children in my class. I have learned through clinical experience how to lead a group and how to foster group cohesiveness. As a MT I am qualified and skilled how to observe and adapt the music to meet the needs of the children in my groups. In addition I have experience observing developmental delays and this expertise offers value as well. Understanding these exceptionalities and how to include atypically developing with typically developing children is also valuable to my families and community.

Tamara Strom

Participant

I think that what is unique about what we bring as music therapists is a focus on the children, a knowledge of how to foster all domains of development. As opposed to programs designed to teach music, we do not place expectations of right or wrong, and instead accept the child where they are at and offer experiences to foster their development, and create our experiences based on the needs of the individuals and the group in the moment. Rather than focussing on either entertainment or teaching musical skills, we focus on the growth of the full child: cognitively, physically, socially, and emotionally. We also build community and create a safe, nonjudgemental space for both the parents and children to explore, experience, learn, and grow through the process of music making.

Cindy Humphreys

Participant

I think Tamara stated it so well, that we have the ability to focus on the moment and really help the child be successful where the are at the present time. Through my journey as a music therapist I have learned that we (music therapists) have exceptional observational skills, and ability to provide a supportive environment based on our training in group dynamics. Many of my OT and SLP coworkers are amazed at how music therapists can work with a group yet individualize for each child. I also feel that we are extremely creative individuals who have the ability to to create, adapt, reflect, and take risks on a daily basis.

Lisa Spall

Participant

I think it was great that the video talked about music therapy and how that term can carry almost a “stigma” in the typically developing crowd so they may not initially see the real value. There are so many times I share with people that anyone can learn a song list or play a CD, but they don’t know the foundations behind each song, each lyric, and each musical nuance that truly enhance the experience and provide more developmental benefits. Sure, you could get a massage from a mall kiosk… buuut wouldn’t you trust a massage therapist more? I mean, someone undereducated could really do more harm than good and that low price tag doesn’t look so good then. So, who are you trusting with your child’s development, typical or not? A music therapist is much more versed in child development than the weekend warrior following a script at the kiddie gym (think screaming children of all ages in a room with the glass walls so they can see the jungle gym on the other side… yikes). Our groups are more inclusive and tailored. You ladies made some great points about the personal experience and embracing how much you really do know as an MT! We know exactly what we’re looking for at each age and developmental level, and how to use the music (how to really USE the music). Parents want to provide the very best for their children. They need to know that a group facilitated by an educated, aware, and involved music therapist is the best choice for their baby. Period! Talk about value right? 🙂

Elizabeth Schwartz

Keymaster

Thanks, Lisa…and yes, we are talking about value.

Wei Ming Loi

Participant

I love the way Tamara say that our focus is on children! I feel that as music therapist, we are trained to see what the children can do and develop from there and not just focus on what the children can’t. It is also our positive energy that we bring that can allow parents to relax and explore music with their child.

Alyssa Kereki

Participant

I believe that the greatest benefit of taking a group through a music therapist is that we know how to adapt. Many of you have already touched on this because there are so many aspects that we observe. We adapt for in the moment responses, from group to group, to reach each individual’s unique needs in the group setting, to increase learning and development, the list goes on forever. Only music therapists can completely change the structure of an intervention or substitute or create a new intervention on the spot in response to a client’s needs. We know that there is no magical “cookie cutter” intervention that will reach everyone in the same way, so we plan for the unexpected and are trained to act in the moment. This not only requires us to be knowledgable of typical and atypical development but mandates our undivided attention to every little response during a session. First we need to notice the response, whether it is crystal clear or barely noticable, and then use our educational foundations and training to decide how to manipulate the music. Our work is much more complex that popping in a CD or attending a cut and dry music session with no room for adaptation.

Robin Jacobs

Participant

I apologize for my late entry. Important and unique areas that music therapist’s bring to families of young children, and for that matter anyone we work with, is providing a non-threatening, accepting environment that begins where people are socially, emotionally and physically and the ability to provide a fun, successful, engaging environment to help develop the whole-person. Through music-making, I believe clients and parents don’t feel like they “have to do/go to therapy; rather they are enhancing their lives through music. Numerous times, in a variety of settings, throughout the past 30+ years of practicing music therapy I’ve had people respond to me/music experiences when they were either withdrawn, over-active, combative and not willing or unable to connect with others in their environment. Once, I worked with autistic twins for a year before they were to enter kindergarten. The early intervention (EI) services did an evaluation for that transition. At that time I was doing medical transcription part-time for that EI center. When I typed up the psychologist’s report I was flabbergasted. They described children who were totally unresponsive and in their own world. In my music therapy sessions, they would look out the door for me to come in the room, greet “Ms. Robin” with enthusiasm, and look me in the eye. The group consisted of the twins, their parents, one other child and their parent and me. We sat in chairs in a circle and they sat and participated, taking turns, most of the session. When I spoke to the psychologist about this different behavior and invited them to come observe a music therapy session, they said that would be invalid because they were evaluating them in context of a natural environment (which was in the EI office). I wrote a summary of my time with the children and had the parents’ videotape one of our last sessions to share with the new kindergarten teacher so she could see the different ways she might be able to connect with the children and what they were capable of.

Robin Jacobs

Participant

Hello everyone, I’m really enjoying all the comments…. here are a few of my reflections on some of the comments

ALYSSA: “how music therapists can work with a group yet individualize for each child and adapt in the moment to meet the needs of an individaul and or group” HOW TRUE! I REMEMBER during my practicums and internship how my supervisors always had us prepare at least 3 different session plans, so we would be able to adapt more easily to where the client was that day. Of course over time you build a rich data-bank of ideas to spontaneouly implement.

MING: “positive energy that we bring that can allow parents to relax and explore music with their child”. SUCH IMPORTANT modeling we do to help parents bring positive, in-tuned (no pun intended!)interactions with their children so they can carry this into all areas of thier daily lives.

LISA: “anyone can learn a song list or play a CD, but they don’t know the foundations behind each song, each lyric, and each musical nuance that truly enhance the experience and provide more developmental benefits” HOW WONDERFULLY that was demonstrated when Beth brought to life the songs in our earlier session!

TAMARA: “knowledge of how to foster all domains of development. As opposed to programs designed to teach music, we do not place expectations of right or wrong” SO TRUE!! “We also build community and create a safe, nonjudgemental space for both the parents and children to explore, experience, learn, and grow through the process of music making.” THIS IS ONE OF THE REASONS I LIKE TO HAVE TYPICALLY DEVELOPING FAMILIES IN WITH CHILDREN THAT ARE DELAYED IN SOME AREA, IT THE PARENT AGREES TO THIS ARRANGEMENT. I BELIVE IT IS A WONDERFUL OPPORTUNITY TO BREAK DOWN DISABILITY BARRIORS AND MISUNDERSTANDINGS. MANY THE PARENTS BECOME FAST FRIENDS WITH OTHERS IN THE GROUP, WHICH CARRIES OVER FOR YEARS PAST THE MUSIC TIME. HOW WONDERFUL FOR TYPICALLY DEVELOPING FAMILIES TO THINK WHAT IS DELAYED FOR A CHILD IS QUITE “NORMAL” FOR THEM AND ACCEPT AND EMBRACE WHO THEY ARE. ONCE IN A SOCIAL/CHORUS SESSION (VOICESTOGETHER.NET) WITH PEOPLE WHO HAD AUTISM, ON THE SPECTRUM OR DEVELOPMENTAL DISABILITES A PARENT CAME UP TO ME AFTERWARDS (WHO WAS A MUSICIAN HERSELF) TO THANK ME FOR ALLOWING HER CHILD TO HAVE THIS MUSIC EXPERIENCE AND HOW IT MEANS SO MUCH TO THE PARENTS BECAUSE THEY VERY RARELY GET TO SEE THEIR CHILD EXPERIENCING SOMETHING LIKE THIS. THIS WAS WITHIN THE LAST 5 YEARS AND TRULY, BEFORE THAT I HAD NEVER EVEN THOUGHT HOW MUCH THE PARENT WAS RECIEVING FROM THE MUSIC THERAPY WE OFFERRED!

Elizabeth Schwartz

Keymaster

The best part of my groups, for me, is when I look around the circle and can’t tell which child belongs to which grownup. When all arms reach out to hug which ever kid comes skipping by. When a kid has a meltdown, and instead of a condescending look toward that child’s parent, the grownups all smile at each other and say ‘Oh, that was my kid last week.”

Leigh Giglio

Participant

Why are they coming to your program?: I think the AMTA states it the best: “With young children, music therapy provides a unique variety of music experiences in an intentional and developmentally appropriate manner to effect changes in a child’s behavior and facilitate development of his/her communication, social/emotional, sensori-motor, and/or cognitive skills.
      Music therapy enhances the quality of life. It involves relationships between a qualified therapist and child; between one child and another; between child and family; and between the music and the participants. These relationships are structured and adapted through the elements of music to create a positive environment and set the occasion for successful growth.”
      Other persons that teach children do not have the training to provide what we do as a music therapist. They may not be able to adapt or create to enhance the session of child or the groups needs and they may not be qualified to work with chidlren with special needs. Our services are valuable.

Elizabeth Schwartz

Keymaster

Beautifully said, Leigh! Thank you.

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to content