Strategies for Success

Home Forums Sprouting Melodies Training – January 2013 Week 9 Strategies for Success

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author

Elizabeth Schwartz

Keymaster

• Share some strategies you have used to assure every child in your groups is successful.

Amy DiLabio

Participant

I try to be very aware of each child’s temperament and preferences so I can gauge the level of intensity of the class. This way I can provide enough diverse musical experiences for each individual child within the group.

Laura Montesano

Participant

I tend to vary the dynamics in my voice often and use a lot of playfulness, especially when there is a little one who might need a bit of redirection.

Angie Carter

Participant

I have adapted presentation as needed. I often use picture cards and picture schedule to help organize the session. I typically vary volume as needed to keep attention and my level of play and body movement. Silly sounds and vocalizations enhance group settings and increase imitation and participation of the children as well. I love the spontanaity of group settings!

Tamara Strom

Participant

I also adapt the song choices and dynamics and activities within the songs to the children in the group, and also for their needs in the moment, be it more playful and energetic or more soothing.

Here’s a question for the group based on an issue that I’m having in a new group with which I just began working. It is comprised of five special needs kindergarteners with very high needs and varying needs. This could easily apply to a sprouting melodies group too. One child, who is nonverbal, cries throughout the group. She apparently does this throughout the day, and her aid has been working with her all year and doesn’t know what triggers it. One of the other kids in the group who has Autism, cries in response to the first child crying. It is obviously very difficult to contain the group when half of them are crying!! I’ve tried soothing songs and instruments, tried what I have been told are her favorite songs, and I’ve tried trying to just maintain a flow of music, but nothing has been particularly effective. It has been very challenging!! When her aid removes her from the group, everyone else settles down, but removing her for a few minutes doesn’t seem like a permanent solution. Any suggestions for setting up a situation of success for the group as a whole, the crying child, and myself???

Lisa Spall

Participant

Tamara, I actually face this issue with a few of my kids. Do you know her diagnosis? There could be a number of factors contributing to the crying. Overstimulation, noise sensitivity, pain… For instance, children with Rett Syndrome (affects almost primarily girls), experience a lot of tension and pain from a number of issues like digestive problems, breathing problems, muscle tightness, lack of sleep, etc… One of my girls with Retts cries out quite often throughout the day as a result of her symptoms and especially if another one of the students is being loud too. Loud noises or music are too much for her. I arrange the group she’s in specifically away from some of the “louder” students. If she’s having a particularly hard time I try to move over to her, kneel down to her eye level and sing a short quiet chorus of a song that I’ve noticed really cheers her up. She loves musicals and I’ll quickly sing “just a spoonful of sugar” and touch her knee or hold her hand. This usually helps her calm down and sometimes I even get a really big smile! 🙂

I’d say that, if possible, you should get to know her diagnoses first. Speak to her team and see what symptoms might be contributing to the frequent crying. Her aide (unless she’s actually a nurse/therapist?) may work with her all day, but they’re not always aware of the entire diagnoses either as they’re not technically part of her therapeutic/educational team and don’t attend IEP meetings.. I hope you can figure out something that will work for the group as a whole. It sounds like a difficult situation. Have you tried vocal only songs and songs with scarves?

Alyssa Kereki

Participant

Tamara – I have a similar client and I have noticed that vocal only songs are helping him adjust to the group. I’ve also tried adjusting my timbre and volume to sound as gentle and soothing as possible, and I usually tr pressure squeezes on his hands to match the pulse of the music for extra stimulation.

In general, I try to maintain eye contact showing equal amounts of attention to each client. I also spend a lot of time on the floor as opposed to sitting in a chair, even if the children are in chairs. I think this creates a more personal environment and helps the kids know that the group is for them and they have my full attention. When demonstrating, I take time to focus on each individual whether they need assistance or a smile of reinforcement for following the directions. In some groups, I have to be careful of overstimulation while making sure that others are challenged and interested in the music. I found that containing movement interventions to activities that can be done while sitting helps limit the commotion and stabilize the environment. I am also aware of pacing and where interventions are placed, making sure that a stimulating activity is sandwiched between to calming ones.

Cindy Humphreys

Participant

Creating a rapport with each child, connecting with them through respect and reciprocity are key strategies to success. Also being able to be more aware of our own presence is important. One child may need a calm hands off approach, where another may need an up beat playful approach which we can modify the music to address both.

A couple of ideas for Tamara which I have found helpful: proximity is often an issue for children with sensory needs. I sometimes have the child sit away from the group with an aide and participate from a distance. You can still be very aware of their level of engagement and bring them closer over time. Sometimes it is just too overwhelming for some kids. Some other strategies I have used are giving the child a fidget toy , or a weighted lap animal to help with anxiety. A transitional picture or object paired with a transition song is helpful. I had one little guy who needed to carry a maraca to music while the staff member sang the transition song. I have another who needs to see my picture on the classroom picture schedule and who receives a token for remaining in music.

Robin Jacobs

Participant

What wonderful ideas! I’m proud to be part of a group of professionals who are so very caring and tuned in to each individual child and the “whole child.” Sometimes life is so busy, children don’t get much of 1-1 eye contact from a calm adult there to acknowledge they have feelings and thoughts too, even if they can’t verbalize them, and meet them where They are.

The only other suggestion I have, Tamara, is to turn down the lights. I had one group where I only used two table lamps in order to decrease the sensory stimulation. That coupled with quiet/soothing music (at least to begin and end the class with)seemed to help the children And parents relax and participate a little more. I also put distance between a very loud child and a child who does not do well with loud noises and/or unexpected loud sounds.

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to content