Takeaways from the Course

Home Forums Sprouting Melodies – January 2023 Week 10 Takeaways from the Course

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author

Julie Palmieri

Participant

What are your key takeaways from this course?

How has this learning changed your perspective on development, your approach to the work, or the way you use music in your sessions?

How will you share this information with colleagues, administrators and families?

Jorden Liteplo

Participant

I think the main thing that sticks out to me is that I have gone from using engagement to gauging whether an activity is successful to whether an activity is developmentally appropriate, as sometimes a lack of obvious joint attention is not indicative of success, and that’s the measure I generally used prior to this. I think having more language about music development has been so helpful, and the point that music development IS development (not separate) is so useful. I have also appreciated some of the points made about how to point these moments out to parents in the moment while running a group so so helpful.

I am already encouraging my second instructor to take this course and I plan to integrate my teachings into my yearly presentation at my alma mater. I am already involved in a number of group0s/ committees, etc. which I’m sure will benefit. I like the idea of offering open houses/ info nights to families now that covid has calmed down. I think I also need to get a bulletin board in our studio so parents have an awareness of what’s happing.

You guys, the points about this taking two or three years is SO spot on but I agree its worth it. I don’t know about your area but I have found that prior to having a space there was endless amounts of work to be had in daycare programs in my area that allowed me to develop a bit so that I felt I had much more experience and authority when I opened my own program at my own location.

Erika (TeamRH)

Keymaster

Thank you all for your thoughts and insights throughout this training. I’ve enjoyed reading your insights, learning about your work, and all that you have gained from taking this course. I wish each of you much success as you continue on in your clinical work. The Raising Harmony team is always available for support after the training has ending. Please feel free to reach out at any time.

I also want to thank each of you for your patience with the technical issues that arose early on in the training.

Sean FitzGerald

Participant

I would have to say that one of my key takeaways from this course is the power of informing staff about what is going on in session. The power of teaching the people that care for your clients about how you are interacting can help benefit how they see what goes on in sessions and can benefit how they interact with the client as well and I love how this course brought that topic to the forefront. Another concept was importance of owning yourself as a professional and valuing the knowledge that we bring to the table. As a relatively new clinician, it is tough at times to feel like I am a professional and that I am really knowledgable so owning that is really important and I enjoy how it was worked into the course. Lastly, the knowledge about development and the details of how a child progresses developmentally through music interactions is something I will definitely take away. I really did not know much about that going into this course and I feel much more confident in my knowledge base now! As for sharing this information, I feel much more informed for how music therapy with infants work and I have already been informing people about this like school teachers who are pregnant that ask about music therapy, friends who are having kids, and more!

Kayla Stubblefield

Participant

Thanks for sharing!

Angie Snell

Participant

I agree, Sean, being able to effectively inform staff/caregivers allows them to become our partners and collaborators during sessions and then they are empowered to support generalization of skills outside of the MT sessions.

Kayla Stubblefield

Participant

One of my key takeaways is just how powerful music is. I know it sounds cliche. But music therapists have the power to go out and change communities- one child at a time. We can empower parents to use music with their children to support them throughout their development. Early intervention can change the trajectory of a child’s development, and music therapy can aid in early intervention.
      Another takeaway was feeling even more empowered about knowing the different musical developmental stages. We didn’t dive deep into that in college, so to have it now at the start of my career helps me to feel more comfortable in empowering parents to recognize their child’s successes!

Leah Strand

Participant

I agree, it can always be as simple as the power of music. There’s so many corners it can reach.

Leah Strand

Participant

I think my main takeaways from the course was really lining up every stage a child is at to the music. Some things happen naturally, but others we need to use our knowledge and expertise on. As always I like the emphasis on we are the experts. It’s hard to think of it that when when faced with a room full of parents and kiddos when I don’t have personal experience to share to really draw on each moment. I do however have my own clinical knowledge and therapeutic mindset to adjust and respond how best to in most situations. It was really nice to take such a focused class on development and with how to talk to caregivers and communicate more effectively. Overall, I enjoyed the flow of the course and how knowledge was passed around.

Angie Snell

Participant

My key takeaway is how many ways the developmental framework can deepen and further enhance music therapists direct work and their advocacy before, during, and after sessions. It also provides a way to discuss program development and give powerful reasons how and why music therapy supports the strengthening of individuals, families, and communities. I appreciated and valued the videos. Hearing how Elizabeth and Meredith talk about and explain what is occurring in the music therapy process inspires me to continue to find ways to use both words and the music to explain and advocate for music therapy more effectively.

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to content