Takeaways from the Course

Home Forums Sprouting Melodies – June 2021 Week 10 Takeaways from the Course

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author

Anonymous

Inactive

What are your key takeaways from this course? How has this learning changed your perspective on development, your approach to the work, or the way you use music in your sessions? How will you share this information with colleagues, administrators and families?

I believe my most important take away from this course is the musical development of the young child. My previous education really focused on school aged children. I did learn about early development during my internship, but I found how the information in this course was organized to be very helpful. It was interesting to look at the information from a new fresh perspective. Providing services with typically developing children is much different then most of the work I have done.

I have also really appreciated the knowledge in how to build and market your business as I have always had clients come to me either by state referrals or word of mouth.

Thank you!!

It has been interesting looking at my clients development within this framework. I look forward to continuing to integrate these concepts into my daily practice. I will be identifying where my client is developmentally and finding musical experiences to fit where they are developmentally. I will share this information with colleagues, administrators, and families by providing verbal and written information where needed. I plan on putting together handouts to give to families to help explain where their child is and how we are going to help them grow. I will be developing my contacts with other professionals and administrators to begin to grow my music therapy business, and utilize this training to help support my speech therapy clients.

Erika Svolos

It has been a pleasure to have you with us, Debbie! It is wonderful to hear all that you have taken away and how it has supported your work. I wish you all the best as you continue on in your work!

Samantha Springer

Participant

Thank you Debbie for sharing your insights!! It has been wonderful getting to know you and hear your thoughtful responses on these forums. Best of luck to you!!

Samantha Springer

Participant

It has been a great experience learning about early childhood development. I learned about it in school (almost 9 years ago now) and with everything else that I was learning at that time, the majority of the information did not “stick” at that time. However, this course was a great refresher for me and even better that it reviewed what musical responses to look for when a child is in a specific developmental stage. I have already used that knowledge in my sessions and will continue to use it for years to come. It has literally changed everything that I do as a music therapist and has made me into a more confident therapist.

I have interns yearly and another colleague. I will most likely use this information to inform their practice and to encourage them to review what musical responses to look for when working with someone that indicates their developmental stage. I’ve already started to increase my communication with families and point different aspects out that I see with the child throughout each session and explain the significance to the parents. That has helped significantly and I will continue to do this as well!

Erika Svolos

Hi Samantha,

It has been a pleasure to have you with us during the training and to learn about you and the wonderful work you are doing! Wishing you all the best as you continue on into your early childhood music therapy journey!

Maria Ramey

Participant

What are your key takeaways from this course? How has this learning changed your perspective on development, your approach to the work, or the way you use music in your sessions? How will you share this information with colleagues, administrators and families?

I have really appreciated the detailed exploration and explanation of child development at every level. Having it specifically put in a musical perspective has made it easy to understand and easier to see in each child. I believe this course has helped me to strengthen my focus on the micro-differences in development between children in each age group and I will be able to be proactive accordingly.

Also, I’ve actually had the music book on my shelf for awhile but hadn’t dived deep into it until this course and really appreciated being able to hear the songs, and their explanations, from the creator herself. I’ll be using a lot more of this not only in my planned toddler groups, but also in my other music therapy practice with young clients!

I will be sharing this information in my own toddler classes that I hope to start this fall, but if not then in the spring, and I will be speaking up more with the aides in the preschool groups that I work with, being more confident in my own expertise and reassuring them that certain behaviors are developmentally “normal.”

Erika Svolos

Hi Maria…I am so glad to hear all that you have taken away. It has been a pleasure to read your responses and learn about your work. I wish you all the best as you move into early childhood music therapy work.

It has been wonderful completing this course with all of you! Thank you for sharing your experience, knowledge, and insights.

It has been wonderful completing this course with all of you! Thank you for sharing your experience, knowledge, and insights.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to content