Takeaways from the Course

Home Forums Sprouting Melodies – June 2023 Week 10 Takeaways from the Course

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

Julie Palmieri

Participant

What are your key takeaways from this course?

How has this learning changed your perspective on development, your approach to the work, or the way you use music in your sessions?

How will you share this information with colleagues, administrators and families?

Sarah Braverman

Participant

Some key takeaways I got from this course was seeing how music develops in children. It was really helpful for me to learn about the stages of musical development because it allowed me to figure out the stages that my clients might currently be in as of right now and how to move them through the stages in a way that’s connected to their goals. It also helped me get a better understanding as to why certain music experiences might be more beneficial for some children compared to other children depending on where they are at developmentally. This allows me to then plan my sessions in a way that will help my clients get as much out of the session as possible.

This learning has changed my perspective on development because it allowed me to see what children are already capable of doing musically at a young age. I used to approach my work with just singing songs that I learned from fellow music therapists, but now I understand why these songs are popular whether it’s the repetition, the opportunity to participate, or having them explore the music within the session. I also learned ways that I can use the rhythm and dynamics of my voice to help children who I’m currently working with to learn through music. For one of my clients I’m working with currently, we’re learning how to use slowly say words in our inside voices to familiar, repetitive songs within the session.

For colleagues, I will recommend this class to them as a resource to learn about music therapy in early childhood development. This way they can create their own ideas for sessions to do with their clients or clients they might have in the future. For administrators and families, I will share what I learned in this class by explaining musical development, how it’s connected to the child’s development, and how it relates to the music we are using in our time together. This way, the administrators and families can learn about the purposes of music therapy and the opportunities that their children will receive through participating in music therapy.

Erika (TeamRH)

Keymaster

Hi Sarah,

Thank you for sharing your takeaways! It sounds like you’ve found a lot that is relevant and meaningful to your work. I wish you the best as you continue on in your career.

It has been my pleasure to be in this course with you.

-Erika

Talia Morales

Participant

Some of the key take aways I am taking from the course really have a lot to do with expanding my understanding of development beyond a typical milestones lens to learning more about the stages of awareness-trust-independence-control-responsibility and how that informs the music and mt interventions that we design and offer across settings be in individual and group community settings
      It such a great reminder that music development IS development which has such inherent value that as a clinician is appreciated to remember and also inform the parents and other professionals we collaborate and consult with.

Julie Palmieri

Participant

What are your key takeaways from this course?

By the child, not by the book.

Let music do the work. Meet in the music.

I am reminded of the point that we, as music therapists, are experts! We hold a level of expertise because of our music therapy training, our additional learning here in this training, and also our related life experiences. We bring a lot to the table and can offer a lot to our communities and the people who need Sprouting Melodies.

How has this learning changed your perspective on development, your approach to the work, or the way you use music in your sessions?

I love the musical developmental levels – each level makes so much sense in the whole development of a child.

The song categories of “Songs about Me” and “Songs About My World” are two categories where I’d love to learn more songs!

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to content