Tell Us About Your Instruments.

Home Forums Sprouting Melodies Training – June 2016 Week 7 Tell Us About Your Instruments.

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • Author

Meredith Pizzi

Keymaster

What kind and brand of instruments are you using in your groups with children of this developmental level?

Alice Sorensen

Participant

For this developmental level, I think I would go with the instruments that have a louder and more exciting, energetic feel to them such as Jingle Bells that the child can shake themselves (which I probably would stay away from in SM1), a big gathering drum or a djembe, or smaller drums that the kids can play, and also tamborines. I’d also incorporate things with less sharp timbres such as the egg shaker maracas, soft colorful scarves, etc in order to not be overstimulating!

Rachel Lighty

Participant

I have been using Chiquitas, toddler tambourines, toddler shake set, scarves, and ribbons. The brand for most of these instruments is Hohner. I would love to have a gathering drum and access to more drums for this age group.

Jessica Triana

Participant

When I work with groups, each child does not always have an adult to assist them individually, therefore the majority of instruments that I bring in are those that the child can explore and manipulate independently. Small instruments that fit into toddlers hands such as chiquitas, shakers and tambourines are easier to grasp and support independence. Drums are wonderful if they can be positioned correctly. I do use toddler ocean drums virtually every day. A gathering drum is on my wish list. If I play an instrument while leading groups, I’ll use guitar or ukulele. Everything I bring into the session must be easy to clean and in line with infection control policies (no scarves).

Tracy Schoenberg

Participant

I like the idea of small instruments that can be easily and independently played and explored. I personally use egg shakers, little maracas, small drums, jingle bells, small tambourines, and guitar with groups of little kids. I wish I had a large gathering drum, but I have another music therapy friend that has a djembe and other big drums she lets me borrow. I like to have my guitar and hope for an available piano wherever I’m at, but would love to learn to use my ukulele. My kid plays music with me on the ukulele when I play guitar or piano and it’s one of his favorite instruments and it’s so out of tune :). I guess I’d need to have a big bin for instruments that have gone in the mouth, but probably will end up cleaning all instruments with some kind of safe cleaning product to prevent germs spreading.

Cassandra Reyna

Participant

I would like to use instruments that are immediately gratifying with this age group, such as egg shakers, chiquitas, and small tambourines. The instrument can be shaken, thrown, poked, dropped, or played any multitude of ways in order to create some kind of sound! I would also look for instruments that are all plastic, in order to be easily cleaned, as well as lacking any small pieces that may be a choking hazard.

Marchele Gilman

Participant

Since we can expect that some instruments will go in the mouth, I would avoid egg shakers at this stage. I would have small maracas such as chiquita brand, a gathering drum, hand drums with ridges which would be easier for babies to hold. I would not use mallets at this stage as they could get hurt with them. I agree with Cassandra in that instruments that are plastic might be easier to clean and might be more durable. I would love to check out a toddler ocean drum. Various types of hand drums would be good for this stage.

Gwendolyn Van Baalen

Participant

Jess, I appreciated your comment about scarves. Has anyone found a type of scarf or alternative to scarves that is easier to clean?

I haven’t begun group yet, but I have typically used small shakers (some with ring handles for easy access; not egg shakers), frame drums, a gathering drum, and sometimes a compilation of small xylophones with plastic mallets (that can be easily cleaned). I also use my ukulele or a guitar in certain circumstances.

Flora Whitmore

Participant

I use lollipop drums with this age, but NOT the mallets. Because the mallets are rainbow colored and look like candy and go right into mouths! scarves, beanbags, big gathering drum (remo) bongos and small nesting frame drums and small maracas and brightly colored jingle bells. (The velcro kind is pretty awesome.) Wood blocks (the cylindrical ones.) and soft hand puppets.

Anonymous

Inactive

I would also recommend avoiding the small egg shakers for this age, however they do make larger egg shakers that are large enough to not fit in a child’s mouth. Chiquita maracas work great but if not watched could also choke a child even if they are holding them. Mallets can be used as this stage if you consider using the hard rubber ones with the shorter handle. They are large enough that a child will not choke on them and made of a material that can be cleaned easily. Meredith introduced them to me. However, due to their weight, these mallets can get loud. They can be found at West Music. With any instrument at this age, parents have to be reminded to keep an eye on the little ones. We also encourage parents to allow children to explore the instruments with their hands and mouth at this stage, but to also keep an eye in case the child has trouble. Gwen I have several different brands of scarves and found the ones with the stitched edges hold out the best. I also put them in a sweater bag in the laundry after each use. Beth gave me this idea, as she does the same. It’s quick, easy, and effective.

Beth McLaughlin

Participant

The youngest child I have worked with is 4 years old. I use chiquitas, small frame drums and circle drums. I like the single bell shaker that has a very gentle sound. I agree with Beth that they are very easy to mouth and not as easy to clean as the chiquitas but I give them a good a good wash between each use. I love the ribbon streamers on the scrunchy band that West music sells. The children can hold them or wear them on their wrists. They also have the same ribbons on a plastic ring that are fun as well. When I use scarves, I also take them home and wash them in a mesh bag. The small child’s tambourine (Remo rhythm club – 6″) has a quiet sound and is easy for little hands to hold. I was very fortunate to get a matching grant to purchase Remo’s NSL (not so loud) large table drum which everyone loves but is a little tall for toddlers.

Alison Albino

Participant

I use a variety of colorful maracas during instrument songs. I also use a variety of frame drums and different Remo Percussion instruments with larger rubber mallets. A big gathering drum is another fun one for animal songs. I have also used scarves and bubbles with this age group (not necessarily instruments, but still help facilitate music activities).

RaeAnna Zinniel

Participant

With this age group I would use instruments that are easy to use and not easy choking hazards. I would use jumbo chiquitas,small tambourines, small frame drums and gathering drums. I also may use scarfs.

Elizabeth

I use a lot of remo or latin percussion small percussive instruments. Shakers, maracas, bells, and hand drums. Scarves are also amazing to use with this age group!

Ayelet Weiss

Participant

When choosing instruments for this group I would keep in mind size, weight, material and timbre. Jumbo Chiquitas and chiquitas, Maracas, Jingle Bells can all be explored by holding, shaking, dropping. Different sizes of nesting drums can accommodate children at different levels. I would also play the guitar and encourage the children to come and strum with me. Scarves are fun too, but I would make sure to have enough for each group so that the used ones don’t have to be reused until after they are washed.

Anonymous

Inactive

I have an “arsenal” of scarves so I can have enough for multiple groups and then wash them a couple times a week. In a pinch I have sprayed lysol on the scarves and hung them to air out. Overall good thinking about keeping things germ free, especially with little ones.

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to content