Tell Us About Your Instruments.

Home Forums Sprouting Melodies Training – April 2017 Week 7 Tell Us About Your Instruments.

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • Author

Meredith Pizzi

Keymaster

What kind and brand of instruments are you using in your groups with children of this developmental level?

Carolyn Keenan

Participant

Remo hand drums (various sizes), shape drums, small maracas/chiquita shakers, Hohner 4″ rainmakers. I have considered purchasing some cage bells but I know they can get slimy on the inside! I am looking forward to seeing others’ responses because I am not the best instrument person and always appreciate instrument ideas!

Alison Barrington

Participant

Oh Carolyn sorry to disappoint you – I’m also not the best person to think about instruments. So I am relieved to have all the advice from SM and to know that there are recommendations from SM.
      For SM1 and SM2 I realise that all the instruments need to be easily handled, colorful and inviting, and make sounds without too much effort. Then the children get a sense of cause and effect (I have found windchimes to be quite frightening for some children for example).
      And obviously easy to clean!
      Sorry not to be more helpful.

Claudia Eliaza

Participant

Hello All!

I use a wide range of instruments with my classes. Some of them include…

Paddle drum, egg shakers, gathering drum, rain stick, xylophone…. I tend to use instruments that can be cleaned off. I or another teacher will navigate the rainstick and the xylophone. Sometimes we will even have the kids lie down while a large scarf is brushed on their skin. Hope that this helps. I too am interested in other folks instrument suggestions.

I also try to use instruments that can be easily sanitized. Remo gathering drum, Remo hand drums, I have some Nino Chiquitas, clatterpillar, the types of bells that we were shown in the SM1 training video, small rainsticks, etc.

Anonymous

Inactive

If you decide to become a provider, Meredith and Beth will work with you to develop a list based on your budget for instruments to start your program.

Elana Dietz-Weinstein

Participant

I use chiquitas, small lollipop drums, Remo gathering drums, and an assortment of small hand-held percussion instruments (Nino makes a lot of great children’s instruments – shakers in the shape of fruit and animals, etc.), and of course maracas!!

Mabel Ortiz

Participant

With my adult clients, I often use Remo drums, since they are durable, and easy to clean. My list of instruments for my program would look something like this: Remo gathering drum, rain sticks (child one), small hand drums, and chiquitas.

Laura Pruett

Participant

I’m still figuring this out. I have some “baby instruments” that I picked up in a pack at Target. The jingle bells are surprisingly popular. I have some remo hand held drums, a few small maracas/Chiquita shakers, egg shakers (but these aren’t ideal for this age group, as pointed out in the video). I have some boomwhackers, too, but they don’t make much sounds when on carpeted areas. And I imagine carpet is much more comfortable than wood floors! I definitely need to bulk up on instruments for ages 6months – 18months. I have other instruments that don’t seem appropriate for this age (claves, guiros, etc). I loved the very practical instrument suggestions in the videos. And Carolyn, thanks for the heads up that cage bells can get slimy on the inside! Gross!

Jen Hinton

Participant

I typically order from West Music and favor toddler Chiquita shakers (but I am guessing the larger ones are better because they don’t fit the whole way in the mouth?!) I have some frame drums similar to the ones shown in your video and some that I use more often for older adults. I often find that they have difficulty holding and tapping on the drum so sometimes opt for a tambourine with a head to help them have more success. I have a 10″ ocean drum and small rainstick that I like to use. On the fun and spontaneous end, there’s something called a giggle stick that I use to get giggles 🙂 – it doesn’t take a lot of motion to make a really funny sound…you would have to watch that it’s not too loud. Would use it sparingly. I also sometimes use a slide whistle in the same way. I would wait until the group has built up a lot of trust though. I let the kids move the slide part with a little bit of regulation on my part. I do use boomwackers too – am guessing that with a caregiver to help you could have them tap together, but I would be worries about them getting weaponized quickly. I use my guitar a good bit and the kids love to explore it. I usually take the strap off so that it can be farther away from me and closer to them and use a recorded song that we can sing along to and I can play the guitar chords while they each play. I show them some ways to play: tapping on the strings or even the body, reaching out and feeling the strings, and sometimes actually strumming or plucking a string. It is a great way to give opportunities to share and lets them explore that instrument. Downside of this can be loss of attention for those who might not be as interested.

I also use scarves and small parachute with this age group.

**I am very interested in how to really clean instruments – and props (ie. scarves).
      What do you recommend? If I were doing back-to-back groups I wouldn’t have enough to trade out I don’t think.

Anonymous

Inactive

Great conversation here! For those using boomwhackers, do you use the octavator caps? I learned last year that they actually help to make a more resonate sound and when you use the diatonic ones they all sound pretty good together. The first time I tried it out I was quite amazed at the difference they made.

Laura Pruett

Participant

Erika, I have octavator caps. I have used them once, in a 1:1 session with an 11 year old, who immediately took them off as part of her exploration. She didn’t put them back on, and I could only imagine handing the boomwhackers to curious 3-5 year olds: octavator caps everywhere. But I’ll have to try them out, maybe it won’t be so bad if I just set the expectation that they stay on, or at least go back on if taken off. Thanks for the insight!

Jen – I am so intrigued by the giggle stick! But I have no idea how to clean scarves or parachute, sorry. I use mine so sparingly, I feel like the germs die out before they can be spread to anyone.

Jen Hinton

Participant

Thanks, Laura!

Yes, I am a little afraid to use mallets and am really careful with boomwackers. Being in a preschool setting it is (usually!) a very controlled environment. But, such close proximity that when I use hand drums I just use hands. Not as resonant of a sound as I would like but also keeps it from getting too loud.

I imagine that with caregivers providing hand-over-hand assist – at nearly 1:1 levels- that using mallets with drums and resonator bells might be manageable?

Thoughts from others? Especially on how you disinfect? I see that West music sells an instrument disinfectant but think there’s got to be a cheaper, easier way? Clorox wipes? Rubbing alcohol?

Anonymous

Inactive

Great questions!

Scarves and parachute I put right into the washing machine. I put them in the large sweater bags so that they do not get ripped or torn. I dry on the lowest setting, air on my dryer, for 10-15 minutes and let the air dry after that. I do this after each use.

Good point about the octavator caps, perhaps setting the expectation and engaging the caretakers may be needed.

There are great rubber mallets, that have a small handle you can get from West Music. Meredith introduced them to me. They are great, but loud so be prepared if there are tiny babies around. With regards to cleaning I’ve heard many things that are effective. Meredith stated she spoke to a nurse who said the Lysol or Clorox Wipes. They have hospital grade wipes call “Cavi Wipes” and I’ve also heard of people using essential oils and also Norwex products. If you use clorox or Cavi wipes, please remember to wear gloves and to wipe them with water after 15 minutes of wiping down the instruments. These are the recommendations by the FDA.

Laura Pruett

Participant

Thanks, Erika! I did not know a parachute or scarves could be placed in a washing machine and dryer! Those are great tips, I’ll have to get a sweater bag to wash my own scarves and parachute. I am copying and pasting your cleaning tips, Erika, so I can easily find them later on. Thanks!

Anonymous

Inactive

I’m so glad this was helpful. I learned from Beth 🙂

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to content