Tell Us About Your Instruments.

Home Forums Sprouting Melodies Training – July 2014 Week 7 Tell Us About Your Instruments.

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author

Meredith Pizzi

Keymaster

What kind and brand of instruments are you using in your groups with children of this developmental level?

Kerry Cornelius

Participant

For little ones 6-18 months (though I only have one on my caseload currently), I have a few Remo Kids Baby Maracas (http://www.westmusic.com/p/remo-kids-make-music-lk-2426-01-maraca-201008), Latin Percussion chiquita shakers (similar to: http://www.amazon.com/Basic-Beat-Small-Chiquitas-pair/dp/B001B18FYA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1408731208&sr=8-1&keywords=chiquita+shaker), colorful nesting Remo Sound Shapes (http://www.westmusic.com/p/remo-ss-1000-05-sound-shapes-circle-pack-204616), as well as some West Music scarves (both individual scarves and their large blue scarf canopy). I also plan to buy some of the Remo nesting drums that were highlighted in the video, as well as the Remo Kids Baby Jingle Sticks.

Katie Bagley

Participant

I currently use the Remo Kids Baby Maracas (perfect!), Basic Beat Toddler Maracas, the Orange/Green/Blue maracas in this video, Remo nesting drums, and individual color scarves. I also hope to purchase velcro jingle bells.

Kasey Sollenberger

Participant

I have to go look on the website after hearing Beth and Meredith talk about providing instrument suggestions for this age group! I recently purchased a few rattle type instruments (not sure of the brand) for the really little ones. I have used scarves, small maracas, and remo nesting drums.

Nino hand drums, LP maraquitas and maracas, a variety of hand percussion, Yamaha guitar, Mitchell baritone ukulele, Q-chord.

Katie Romano

Participant

I love maracas, BIG gathering drums, scarves, rhythm sticks (parents have the other ones), shape drums and baby parachute

Katherine Sestrick

Participant

I use mostly the jumbo chiquitas and hand drums at this age. I actually use the same size hand drums so the older children don’t fight over different sizes, but I like the nesting drums and I appreciate Meredith’s suggestion of giving the younger children the bigger ones for more sensory input and the older children the smaller ones so that they can hold the drums by themselves with one hand and play it with another. I also use a classical guitar as I prefer the gentler sound and the capacity of the instrument to be more subtle than a steel string guitar.

Kathryn Costanza

Participant

The instruments in my work space are provided by my employer, NeuroRhythm, so I’m not sure which brand of instruments are being used, but we have baby friendly maracas and jingle bells (with the bell contained in a case similar to the shakers), chiquitas, and baby friendly tambourines with the metal pieces contained within a case. We also have a set of scarves, nesting frame drums, more traditional jingle bells, and brightly colored castanets (although we would probably use those for older groups because of the elastic ties). They are all very developmentally appropriate, safe, and easy to clean. Also one large gathering drum.

Christina Wensveen

Participant

I currently only work with ages 3 and up so don’t have any “baby” instruments. I love to use the gathering drum with children this age. I also have chiquitas and bells that can be worn as a bracelet. I recently ordered 10- 6″ Nino drums. They work well for giving a drum to each child and are small enough they are not intimidating and are easy to manipulate. I use movement scarves quite frequently with this age group and also have a small parachute and animal puppets.

Nicole Sanabria

Participant

I have one client that is developmentally within SM2 category at 16 months old. We primarily use remo hand drums small and large (use it almost like a gathering drum with mom), toy shakers, and scarfs.

Jonni Fogerty

Participant

Basic Beat Jumbo Chiquites, Latin Percussion mini cabasas, Remo paddle drums, gathering drum, and SoundShapes, and scarves.

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to content