Tell Us About Your Instruments.

Home Forums Sprouting Melodies Training – March 2015 Week 7 Tell Us About Your Instruments.

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • Author

Meredith Pizzi

Keymaster

What kind and brand of instruments are you using in your groups with children of this developmental level?

Michelle Russell

Participant

Currently I utilize a Remo gathering drum as well as Remo Rhythm Club frame drums. I use some basic beat toddler maracas and some Hohner toddler tambourines. I also have some large size egg shakers that I made myself with extra large easter eggs. I fill them with rice or small pastas and seal the seam with colored electrical tape. I also have some fruit shaped shakers.

Kayla Lyles

Participant

In my early childhood group that I currently run, I use a Remo gathering drum, egg shakers, and scarves. It’s amazing how entertained just these items alone keeps the group!

Jaycie Voorhees

Participant

I’ve used the Remo gathering drum that is around 24″ high (somewhere in there) but am considering getting on of the shorter gathering drums as well (10″-12″ or so off the ground but the same diameter as my other one). I also have the Hohner Kids HRP-6005 Mini Orchestra set, egg shakers, the Hohner Kids MT608 Toddler Tambourines, scarves, and frame drums (Remo). I also like to bring out puppets (either big ones or finger puppets if it’s an older group).

I am using Remo frame drums, acustic guitar, sometimes, and beautiful precusion instrumnets (egg rattles, wind chimes, little drums…) from soundchildren collection, one company from UK. Their instruments are made with natural materials. Highly recomm. http://www.soundchildren.co.uk/ :)- Also transparent scarves, toys.

Megan Dewing

Participant

I use a Remo Gathering Drum, Remo frame drums, larger maracas (I’m unsure of the brand), Basic Beat chiquitas, and scarves. I sometimes use jingle bells that can go around a wrist and small tambourines, but mostly with the older children in Sprouting Melodies 2 age range, as it can be a little too much for some of the younger ones.

Jacquelyn Blankinship

Participant

Since I haven’t worked with this age group before, I don’t actually have any instruments that I use currently. All of these responses are great information, though, for starting to build an instrument library!

Amanda Braden

Participant

I’m in the same boat as you, Jacquelyn. I really appreciate everyone’s responses and am glad to learn that Beth and Meredith have resources for instruments on their website since I don’t have much experience working with very young children either and definitely need to invest in buying more instruments for this age group. So, all of your suggestions will be a big help when I start making those purchases! Thanks!

Kristina Rio

Participant

I’m glad this question was helpful for many of you!

Christine Czuhajewski

Participant

I don’t work with this age level at the moment, but I definitely have suitcases of instruments from when I used to work with younger kids. I have a lot of Gathering Drums and smaller kid drums from Remo. I also invested in a massive instrument pack from Basic Beat that is very durable. It contains different sized frame drums, maracas, egg shakers, jingle bells, guiros, cow bells, claves, finger cymbals and other hand held percussion goodies.

One instrument that I love using with younger children is a 24″ paddle drum (I can’t find them ANYWHERE anymore!). Younger children who I’ve worked with just enjoy placing their hands on the drum to feel the vibrations, and this drum has a solid vibrational output without being too loud. It has been a great tool to help children transition from just feeling the music to wanting to hit the drum, to starting to hit with a beat to eventually using mallets to keep a beat. It is definitely my favorite instrument, I am just constantly scouring the internet to find more!

Also just a warning! I purchased a percussion package from Jamtown through west music- it is world instruments with claves, hand made guiros and goat toenail shakers and handmade agogos. I had a MASSIVE infestation of nasty little bugs from the instruments in the kit- and I ended up having to toss out everything but the metal instruments. so if you happen to have anything from this brand- inspect it very very very carefully.

Mary Withington

Participant

I use chikitas,large egg shakers, wooden clackers, baby bells, a remo large gathering drum, a set of nesting drums they can pull up on, small frame drums, see through filmy scarves even though they are expensive and tear up easily in the washing machine, chime balls, Gertie balls, resonator bells and a wood stick that I help them manipulate, guitar occasionally, blankets for hammocking and lying in while being pulled. Most of the age appropriate instruments I’ve gotten from Kindermusik or west music if they can be found cheaper. I don’t use homemade egg shakers after an incident where they were taken apart and the beans spilled out all over, freaking out the moms. I don’t use the 1 bell jingles anymore either after a 15 month old cut her tongue while mouthing it and bled profusely. I and her mom should have been watching her more closely, but you learn the hard way, sometimes. You really have to be vigilant and use sturdy instruments that don’t have small parts, can be mouthed and cleaned easily. Oh, and I have some plastic see through mini rain sticks that they like.

Katie Whipple

Participant

Since our music therapy clinic is tied to our undergraduate program we are very fortunate to be able to utilize a plethora of instruments and resources. We have several remo gathering drums and a variety of shakers and bells. However, I would like to purchase in the near future the fruit shaped shakers… those are just adorable! We also have the drums that are different shapes (I think made by Remo) and those are a lot of fun as well!

Darcy Lipscomb

Participant

I use a Remo Gathering Drum that is fairly low to the ground. It’s great for this age as they can reach it while sitting. (Slightly older ones try to use it as step or seat.) I use scarves often and prefer the ones from Bear Paw Creek as their colors are more vibrant and the texture feels softer. When the group is small enough, I have used Boomwhackers successfully, and they were a favorite. I also use LP chiquitas and a rainstick (not sure which brand).

I also use Remo instruments, and have some small LP chiquita shakers with handles. I also like taking small bells with handles (not sure the brands) and very small drums that the kids can explore! We also have little “quack sticks” that we use often with the kiddos at the hospital. West Music is always a go-to.

Kristina Rio

Participant

Thanks for the warning Christine!

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to content