Tell Us About Your Instruments.

Home Forums Sprouting Melodies Training – September 2015 Week 7 Tell Us About Your Instruments.

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author

Meredith Pizzi

Keymaster

What kind and brand of instruments are you using in your groups with children of this developmental level?

Dina Breaux

Participant

These are the instruments I currently have in my personal inventory and that I use with the daycare: full sized guitar(Yamaha); egg shakers (LP); and a hand drum with mallet (Remo drum and lollipop mallet). I definitely (desperately) need to buy more so I’m saving my money!

Lauren Klimek

Participant

I don’t currently run groups with this age group but for my special needs group ranging in age from 3-10 (same level of functioning) I currently use shakers by basic beat and santana, a remo floor drum and bongos, tone bells with mallets, buffalo drum, scarves, and acoustic guitar (takamine).

Gina Greeson

Participant

I do not currently run groups with this age level, but during my internship we used egg shakers, tone bells, scarves, shape drums, small maracas, remo floor tom, and bongos.

Megan Calabro

Participant

Hi, all. At the hospital, I have a variety of instruments, but am trying to “push” a bit to purchase a small black/white rain stick, and some other high contrast (color) instruments. At home, I have a full size Yamaha digital piano, a set of sound shapes, my guitar (Takamine), a small Tom drum, a set of desk bells, children’s castanets (one is a whale, and the other is a hippo), a bell stick, a small remo ocean drum, and a pair of Chiquita’s. Additionally, I have my larger djembe, a dumbeck, a larger ocean drum, and a gato drum. I’m hoping (maybes for Christmas) to purchase some scarves and maybe the early childhood rhythm set that’s available through West Music. While it looks like I have a lot, I really only have one single or pair of each, so doing groups where everyone has a maraca, for example, is pretty difficult.

Megan Calabro

Participant

For this age group, I would probably stick more with the Chiquita’s, ocean drum, guitar, gato drum, a larger sound shape (or frame drum), and cage bells.

Joanna Calahan

Participant

I don’t work with this age group specifically, but with the preschool group I was running ASD and other I/DDs we used frame drums, shape drums, rubber mallets, large maracas, and some egg shakers. I’ve also used tambourines, a djembe, cabasa, and ukulele in my preschool group. I found the ukulele easier to manuver with small hands and many bodies, and a few clients appeared to enjoy the sound of my tenor uke, and would stop crying when I played it. I use an acoustic guitar in my sessions. I have a key board but rarely use it in preschool.

For this age group I would love to get a REMO gathering drum, some more medium to large (and colorful) maracas and bells, and some small rainsticks.

Megan Calabro

Participant

Joanna – I love the idea of using a uke! I absolutely love this one lullaby song on the Tropical Lullaby cd (Elipses Arts) that’s played with a ukulele. I’ve played that song for my kiddos probably a million times, and they’ve never gotten tired of hearing it.

Anonymous

Inactive

If you decide to become a Sprouting Melodies Provider, Meredith and Beth can assist to help you purchase instruments that fit your budget to run these classes. They are a wonderful help!

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to content