Tell Us About Your Instruments.

Home Forums Sprouting Melodies Training – January 2016 Week 7 Tell Us About Your Instruments.

Viewing 17 reply threads
  • Author

Meredith Pizzi

Keymaster

What kind and brand of instruments are you using in your groups with children of this developmental level?

Kelsy Gati

Participant

-Chiquitas: the small size, lightweight, bright colors and subtle sound are very enticing to kids this age!
      -Maracas: Similar reasoning to the Chiquitas. Instruments with handles are great for kids this age!
      -Nesting Drums: Smaller size for kids ready to try to play a drum independently. Larger for kids sitting with their parent or who might benefit from a larger surface area to explore.

Kristina Rowles

Participant

Chiquitas are great because they are small and light weight although I have had some struggles using them with children with fine motor difficulties they appear to be a little small of a handle. I use scarves that are brightly colored. I also use frame drums, small cabasas, and small tambourines. I am wanting to grow the instruments that I have to use with this developmental level so I am excited to see what other people have found helpful!

Stephanie Harris

Participant

I don’t have any early childhood groups running yet, but in this training and other sources I know that instruments such as maracas or enclosed bells with handles, nesting drums, and chiquitas work best with this age. It was recommended not to use eggs and jingle bells that can be put in the mouth. Metallic instruments are not recommended yet due to the more abrasive sound. In general, I feel pretty strongly that even younger children can handle instruments and benefit more from quality made instruments versus toy-type instruments.

I love the idea of the ‘wash me’ bin for parents to put instruments that have been mouthed so other kids don’t end up picking it up before it gets cleaned!

Ann Marie Raddell

Participant

My facility has a lot of Remo drums, of various types and sizes, which I often use with children of this age. We have gathering drums of several sizes, along with bongos. We also have nesting drums. I also have been experimenting with Lummi sticks. Instead of wooden sticks that could be dangerous in the mouth, these ones are plastic, easy to hold, and safe for little ones. And even though children of this age have difficulty with the fine motor of castanets, I purchased plastic finger castanets for use in all of my early childhood groups. The children like to try to shut them between there hands, which can actually encourage the clapping motion. And some of the children in that age group are able to make the castanets work. I use them to sing songs about opening and shutting. We have several different sizes of scarves available on site. Some of the large scarves are too big for these children, and then they trip on them when attempting to walk and move with them. I bought some smaller square ones that they are able to manipulate just a bit better. I also use bean bags. Ours are able to be wiped down and sanitized. I have parents sing about body parts and gently place the bean bags on the child’s body, which is fun for baby. And as already mentioned, the heavier Chiquitas are wonderful for this age group. Another recent purchase for my facility was a desk bell/hand bell set for instrument exploration. The older children in this age range like exploring the instruments and the different ways to play it (either ringing it or pushing the button in it to make it ring). Our desk bells are Rhythm Band brand.

Laetitia Brundage

Participant

I should note that at the moment all the early childhood classes I teach are mixed-age and finding a way to balance everything for everyone can be a big challenge!! My sessions usually have Maracas, chiquitas, jingle bells, small tambourines, castanets, clappers, egg shakers, rhythm sticks and/or various drums(hand & gathering) available. For other “instruments” I love the use of scarves, parachute and stretchy band. I would not use these all in the same session, but would introduce different instruments over the course of the semester. You can have the familiarity of a song help bridge the gap to exploring a new instrument.

Tracy Wanamaker

Participant

I don’t have any groups yet, but with my private clients that are this age, I use chiquitas, the large yellow maracas (that Meredith showed in the podcast), Fisher Price/Little Tykes xylophones that are designed for this age group (they don’t come apart and have large mallets), and a variety of drums. My favorite drums are the flat nesting drums and the small floor drums from Remo. I also have a few tambourines and rainsticks (plastic) designed for preschoolers, but I tend to use these with slightly older children.

Noelle Larson

Participant

I love hearing about everyone’s instrument collections! Like others have said, I don’t currently have any groups with children in the developmental level, but appreciate many of the suggestions others have shared here and that Meredith and Elizabeth shared in the video. Like Ann Marie, I really enjoying using scarves and bean bags because of the broad range of sensory experiences they invite: we feel the breeze and soft touch the of the scarves as they float and glide, and the beans in the bean bag move in a pleasing, heavy way in our fingers or on our limbs. I like the idea of using various drums as the group is ready, being aware of keeping the experience “safe” from too many loud, sudden, or scary experiences; I think this can be achieved through a wise selection of drums available in the group (many frame drums aren’t as loud, deep, or low as floor drums), or by using primarily one drum in the center, where the music therapist can help make the experience fun and successful for everyone.

I stumbled upon a small, wooden maraca that I really like made by Basic Beat. I was ordering instruments for use in geriatrics and found that although these were too small for that application, I really love how pleasing they are in the hand as well as the gentle timbre when played. They’re like a “glorified,” wooden chiquita. Here’s a link: http://www.westmusic.com/p/basic-beat-bb013-natural-wood-maracas-200990

Kristina Rio

Participant

I enjoyed hearing about all of the instruments you are currently using! If you decide to become a Sprouting Melodies Provider, Meredith and Beth can assist you in the purchase of instruments that fit your budget to run your Sprouting Melodies classes!

Kristen McSorley

Participant

I have found in this training that most of my instruments are not generally appropriate for this age range. Other than large maracas, I only have egg shakers at this time and will definitely need to invest in some shakers with handles! I also need to take a note from Tracy’s book and buy a xylophone that doesn’t come apart! The rainbow xylophone I have currently is all too tempting to dismantle for little ones. I have drums of a few different sizes and the older kids (nearing 18 mo.) love to take them out and make a drum set and bang!

Katy Hutchings

Participant

At our facility, we uses shaker eggs daily (washing them later if a child puts them in their mouth). I do like small maracas or chiquitas for the littler ones as they are easier to grip with a handle. We also have Remo drums, including a gathering drum that is a huge hit with the kids. We use jingle bells and rhythm sticks on occasion but I do find that with these instruments I have to be much more aware of safety issues. In addition to nesting drums, we have a few flat drums that in different shapes and colors which the kids adore. I definitely use scarves on a regular basis. Another favorite are the desk bells (at least that’s what I call them!). There is one for each note in the diatonic scale and the sit on the floor and the children just have to press on the top of them to make them sound. They make a lovely tone and you don’t have to worry about sticks.

Sarah Szymanowski

Participant

I really appreciate the point that egg shakers can go (sometimes all the way!) into the mouth, and I’ve found and often use with this age group a larger egg shaker. Even if they are mouthed, I’m happy they are too large to be held in the mouth! I like to keep them in an egg carton. I have a two large Remo gathering drums (one tall, one short) at work that I love and would work great with this age group. At home, use a large djembe for gathering drum purposes and the children can stand around. I’ve loved using bells with this age group — I have the “combined” desk bells that can be held like handbells or pressed like desk bells. We only use them for short periods, but they have been so drawn to the different timbre.

Anonymous

Inactive

Sarah I love that you keep the egg shakers in an egg carton. That is a cute idea! If you primary instrument is a solo instrument other than voice, piano, or guitar consider using this with this age group. This past week I brought my flute in to add to our cool down song. Not only were the children and parents excited to see a flute, but it really did add to the cool down experience.

Tiffany Lee

Participant

Chiquita maracas, frame drums, gathering drum (Remo), djembe, scarves, rattle bells (instead of the traditional jingle bells since they have a gentler sound and are not a choking hazard). I personally love what I call “gobble sticks.” Not sure what they are really called, but the bigger ones sound like a turkey and the little ones sound like a bird chirping. They are so much fun!

Ashley Carroll

Participant

I don’t currently work with this age group. BUT since starting this class I have been building my wishlist for the future. I have always loved REMO products. I have to say the large floor gathering drum (22” x 8”) is on my wish list. I would also love the nesting drums by REMO, Jumbo chiquitas. Learning that there is a Sprouting Melodies “instrument kit” makes me VERY excited.

Jennifer Whitlow

Participant

I do not currently have early childhood classes. I do however see kiddos at a local autism center. For that group we use, chiquitas, egg shakers, scarves, drums (frame drums), jingle bells, tambourines, and more. I also like the idea of having a few surprise instruments like my frog rasp, claterpillar, gobbler/quack sticks, and various other to allow the kiddos to explore and take turns playing. I need to get some new instruments for groups and early childhood classes. I want to get some of those little maracas, a gathering drum, and some more scarves. I will definitely be making a large purchase from West Music. I do not have any particular brands that I use, but I have really enjoyed REMO drums.

Belinda Adams

Participant

Enclosed bells with handles, gathering drum, chiquita maracas, Lollipop drums, I love the “gobble sticks” that Tiffany mentions as well. Many of these products come from West music or music is elementary for me.

Vanessa Quirarte

Participant

I don’t currently lead a childhood group. I liked how the presentation showed instruments that work well with this age group. I would use maracas and drums that are easy to clean. Small shakers with handles for a better grasp. Instruments with bright solid color as to not cause such a distraction. I would also choose instruments that produce soft sounds to reduce startling reflexes.

Viewing 17 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to content