Use 5 words to describe the music experiences in Sprouting Melodies 1.

Home Forums Sprouting Melodies Training – September 2016 Week 6 Use 5 words to describe the music experiences in Sprouting Melodies 1.

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author

Meredith Pizzi

Keymaster

Use 5 words to describe the music experiences in Sprouting Melodies 1. Write 5 sentences you can use when speaking with parents about musical responses of children in SM1. Create a plan for songs and music experiences to use in a Sprouting Melodies 1 session.

Victoria Fansler

Participant

Bonding, touch, soothing, gentle, warm

1) Your baby values the sound of your voice much more than any correct or incorrect pitches.
      2) Your baby is hard-wired for bonding with you — even if you are not the bio parent.
      3) Your baby’s needs are the most important thing; it’s okay if they need to sleep, eat, etc.
      4) In your arms or on the floor in front of you is exactly the right distance for your baby to see your face.
      5) It’s okay if your baby likes an exciting transition, and it’s okay if that’s too much for them.

Plan:
      1) Soft recorded music as families transition into the room
      2) Hello song with finger-picked guitar (to the tune of “Goodnight Ladies”). Greet each child and parent by name.
      3) “Just Like Me”
      4) “Hold On Tight!”
      5) “Row It Faster”
      6) “I Feel the Beat” with shakers and voice (no guitar).
      7) “As Big As Can Be”
      8) “Everywhere Babies” book
      9) Goodbye song with finger-picked guitar

I had some questions in response to this week’s videos:
      1) How long are SM1 sessions scheduled for?
      2) Do you use the same hello and goodbye songs each week for a given group to build consistency and familiarity, or do you change out greeting songs so parents get a wider range of exposure?
      3) Some songs were in the Power Point that I could not find in the videos or the book: “Gather Round Babies” and “Little Red Wagon.” How can we access these songs to build our repertoire for this age group?

Anonymous

Inactive

Hi Victoria- All Sprouting Melodies sessions run between 45-60 minutes long, however each provider decides what works best for their class. Because Sprouting Melodies is not a franchise, providers can decide how many weeks they want to run a session. In my area, I found that 6-8 week sessions worked best for my families to commit to. Other providers have found 16 weeks worked better and others did 4 week sessions. Beth will talk more in the training about repetition, but generally speaking it is recommended to use the same opening and closing songs as a ritual to help set the stage for the class starting and then preparing to end. I used a different hello song in my SM1 class then my other SM classes and chose one that better met the young babies needs. I found SM2, 3 and Family Sprouts responded better to an upbeat hello song. I will forward your question about the songs to Beth as I am not sure where those songs are located.

Tori Clark

Participant

Five words to describe music experiences with this age group: Joyful, Symbiotic, Sensitive, Warm, Lovely

Five sentences to use when speaking to parents about musical responses of children with this age group:
      1. Your baby is able to fix his attention on you when you sing or speak to him.
      2. Have you ever noticed that sucking and crying has a rhythm to it? Your baby has an innate sense of rhythm!
      3. Usually around 6 months or so, babies begin reaching for the source of sound, which could be you or small shaker or drum.
      4. As your baby grows, listen for the variety of sounds and a larger range of pitches from her. She is exploring her voice!
      5. Look! Your baby is starting to move his body to the music!

SM1 Session Plan:
      1. Explore instruments on floor during arrival: shakers, jingles, and hand drums; pass out name tags
      2. Hello
      a. Good Morning (EKS)
      b. Today’s a Beautiful Day (say hello to each baby)
      3. Body Percussion
      a. Pitter Patter
      b. Patty Cake
      4. Lap Ride/Tickles
      a. Row it Faster (EKS)
      b. Wiggly, Jiggly Car (EKS)
      c. So Fast, So Fast my horse can go
      5. Instrument Play (shakers)
      a. Sit with me and Shake (MRP)
      b. I Like this Song (EKS)
      c. In My Little Hand (EKS)
      6. Gross Motor Development
      a. As Big As Can Be (EKS)
      b. One Leg, Two legs (rhyme)
      7. Cool Down (scarves)
      a. Where is My Face
      b. Just Like Me
      c. You Are My Sunshine
      8. Goodbye (Sing verse for each child, by name) & thank parents for coming

Anonymous

Inactive

Don’t forget to save these plans so you have them for future use.

Debrah Evans

Participant

Could you let us know as well when you find out about the songs Erika?

Thank you!

Janet Buchanan

Participant

Safe, Stimulating, Loving, Gentle, Calm

At 4-6 months, your baby is starting to bounce or kick in their own rhythm.
      Look at the different way that your baby responds to a lullaby versus to the “Wiggly Jiggly Car!”
      Your baby is making the choice to turn their attention away from the music right now, and that’s fine.
      Listen to how your baby is starting to use his or her voice in a purposeful way!
      The sound and warmth of your voice is much more important than any part of the song or lyrics.

Transition: recorded music
      Opening: Today’s a Beautiful Day, Hello Hello It’s Time for Music (each child by name)
      Bonding: Row it Faster, Hold on Tight
      Songs about me: You Have Two Hands, Everybody has a Face
      Instruments/movement: In my Little Hand, I Like This Song
      Cool Down: Twinkle Twinkle, You are My Sunshine
      Goodbye: Goodbye friends (each child by name)

Debrah Evans

Participant

Write 5 sentences you can use when speaking with parents about musical responses of children in SM1. Create a plan for songs and music experiences to use in a Sprouting Melodies 1 session.

Five words I would use to describe SM 1 would be: warm, connected, loving, supportive and soft.

1. Hearing your voice is beneficial for your baby’s growth and development. Don’t worry about sounding like the next American idol, but more focus on using your voice to connect and bond with your child.
      2. “If you can talk, you can sing.” The best way to get the most out of this class is to sing these songs here so that you know them and can take them home to use there as well!
      3. An infant in this stage of development is still become aware of their surroundings, so use a soft voice and slow movements to best engage them.
      4. Your children have a field of vision that is limited to 12-18 inches in front of them, so don’t be afraid to get close!
      5. This space is a safe one for not only your child, but for you as well! Bring whatever you need to make yourself and your baby comfortable, and don’t be afraid of feeding, or changing a diaper during the group because your baby feels safest when his/her needs are met.

Transition with soft recorded music of familiar child songs and songs used in the group. Opening: Good morning to you! Followed by Today’s a Beautiful Day with each child’s name. That is followed by Row It Faster with rocking and then Hold On Tight. For a song about me I would adapt Have you Ever Seen a Lassie to Have You Ever Seen Mommy(Daddy etc) using the scarf to hide followed by Just Like Me and All of This Is Me. Cool Down would be a familiar children’s tune such as The Itsy Bitsy Spider. The Closing would be a parody of Goodnight Ladies with the names switched for each child and a common refrain for Merrily We Roll Along followed by a few sighs.

Anonymous

Inactive

Hi Debrah,

I apologize there has not been a response. I will check in with Beth again and see if I can get that information this week.

Thank you for your patience.

Courtney Kjaldgaard

Participant

Five words to describe the experiences: engaging, memorable, bubbly, relaxing and versatile.

Five sentences: 1. No matter how young your child is, they have an awareness for music that occurs in their environment and every child has an innate sense of rhythm. 2. You can sing to your child for any activity during the day – music helps with transition and singing to them, and responding to their vocalizations, will help your child feel safe and foster a stronger connection with them. 3. There is no pressure to have your baby stay in the circle at all times – if your baby needs to move, crawl or needs a break to be fed or to sleep, then takes the steps necessary to ensure that they receive what they need in that moment. 4. You are never too young to play an instrument – all babies should be given the chance to try out simple percussion instruments, such as a handheld shaker or a drum, to explore these instruments and to discover the sounds that they create. 5. Let your child figure out their voice – don’t silence vocal exploration, even if it is not matching or in sync with the music that is occurring in that moment. They are trying to sing and it is wonderful!

Session Plan: Gathering/Greeting: “Hello”, “Are You Ready for Music?”. Bonding/Songs about Me: “Wiggly Jiggly Car”, “Just Like Me”, Instrument Songs: “I Like this Song”, “Shake Your Shakers” (set to the tune of “Twist and Shout”), Movement: “As Big as You Can Be”, “Hokey Pokey”, Cool Down: “Dog in the Yard” (set to the tune of Wheels on the Bus, changing words to reflect different sounds in the yard ie: dog, cat, bird, mouse, fence, wind, etc.) Goodbye: “Goodbye”

Joanne Van Eycke

Participant

Bonding Nurturing Warm Joyful Soothing

1 While your baby is sleeping you can learn the songs to sing to her at home.
      2 Your baby knows the sound of your voice and will enjoy your singing so don’t worry if it’s not perfect.
      3 Position your baby closely as their line of site is about 12-18 inches away from their face. Enjoy this opportunity to get in close.
      4 Feel free to use these songs at home too. It will be a great way to bond.
      5 This class is a safe space for you as well as your baby so please feel free to bring whatever you need to make yourselves comfortable.

SM1 Session Plan
      Greeting/Gathering Song: Good Morning
      Bonding Song: Hold on tight
      Song About Me: That all makes up me
      Instrument Song: In my little hand
      Movement Song: I like this song –with scarves
      Goodbye Song: Goodbye

Megan Neil

Participant

Quiet. Loving. Simple. Adaptable. Touch.

Your child will recognize and value your voice and timbre when speaking and singing first and foremost.
      One of the musical choices your child has is to turn toward or away from the music. It is absolutely okay for them to turn away!
      Rhythmic movements are instinctual and reflexive at this stage, they may be able to hold a shaker when their reflexes are touched but generally wouldn’t know how to do so yet.
      Your child will generally prefer consonance (notes that fit together) over dissonance (notes that clash) however using dissonance in small doses will grab their attention.
      Repetition is really important for all levels of learning and development and will really benefit your child, especially at this stage of development!

Session Plan: Greeting Song; Bonding Songs/Lap Ride-Wheels on the Bus, Row It Faster, Wiggly Jiggly Car; Songs about Me- Just Like Me, From My Head Head Head; Instrument Play-Let’s Keep a Beat, Sit With Me & Shake; Gross Motor Movement- As Big As Can Be; Cool Down-Twinkle, Closing Song

Peggy Grace

Participant

Five words to describe the music experiences in Sprouting Melodies 1:
      Growth, Bonding, Caring, Exciting, Patience

You will be able to watch how your child develops through the musical experiences. The songs will facilitate deeper bonding as you travel this experience together. As a result, they will learn and know how much you care for them. In return, you will be able to instill that caring in them through the music experience. At times the music is lively and exciting, and other times it will be slow and calming. So be patient and allow your child to learn new skills as they develop and grow.

Session Plan:

Objectives: To establish bonding between child and parent, and with the other members of the group.

Materials: Various small rhythm instruments minus egg shakers, guitar, scarves, drums, mallets.

Procedure:
      Begin with a Hello song (tune from “Singing In the Rain). Incorporate stops and starts for interest and variety. Bonding songs including “Hold On Tight” and “Let’s Get Together” using scarves. Introduce rhythm instruments while singing “Shake, Rattle and Roll”. Continue with movement using songs “I Can Move Around” and self-identification using “All of This Is Me.” Begin to wind down with slower tempo using ocean drum and song “This was fun.” Close with goodbye song “So Long, Goodbye My Friend.”

The songs you may not recognize are songs I have written. I hope it was ok to use those.

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to content